Pork spares with walnut

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Pork spares with walnut

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:14 pm

So today was the first run using walnut for smoke. It smells FANTASTIC! Ribs are actually near done; went about 5 hours at 250 with kingsford and a few small walnut splits. Gives a nice smoky taste with a hint of sweetness. Kinda like hickory or pecan but much more subtle. The color it adds is excellent. Very much like pecan or cherry.
20190608_144501.jpg
(Insert witty signature here)
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Pork spares with walnut

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:21 pm

Those ribs look great Txd, looking forward to the finished pics
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Ok. I think I'm 10000% confident to say, "Myth Busted". The flavor was outstanding. I cut the big logs into smaller logs with the chainsaw in flip flops, not the safest thing to do but I wanted to make sure I got hit with all the sawdust. No irritation, nothing.
I'd put my stamp on using it like any other for BBQ..

20190608_163706.jpg
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:08 pm

They look GREAT !!

Nice job man, nice job with them
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:25 pm

:cheers: :cheers: I'll bet you did Recon for :flag: didn't you :?: Glad it all worked out :wav:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:43 pm

OldUsedParts wrote::cheers: :cheers: I'll bet you did Recon for :flag: didn't you :?: Glad it all worked out :wav:

Let's just say that if anyone knew what I was doing, I failed.. 8)
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Good looking bones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:33 am

Thanks all! Morning after report... All is well. Nobody sick or dead. Lol! My theory behind the taboo is that walnut is prized for other items than cooking. Cooking with this wood to some would be blasphemous, so it seems that the story behind its own little defense mechanism was exaggerated extremely, and it seemed to have stuck. Through my preliminary research, I found legitimate university publications; U of Maryland and even one from Harvard, which helped boost my confidence moving into this little experiment. Although I may not go purchase any specifically to cook with; too expensive, I would certainly be on the lookout for any trees around that nobody wants!
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:51 am

Txdragon wrote:Thanks all! Morning after report... All is well. Nobody sick or dead. Lol! My theory behind the taboo is that walnut is prized for other items than cooking. Cooking with this wood to some would be blasphemous, so it seems that the story behind its own little defense mechanism was exaggerated extremely, and it seemed to have stuck. Through my preliminary research, I found legitimate university publications; U of Maryland and even one from Harvard, which helped boost my confidence moving into this little experiment. Although I may not go purchase any specifically to cook with; too expensive, I would certainly be on the lookout for any trees around that nobody wants!
I was just about to send out the search crew for you lol !!
I'm glad it worked for you and the Ribs looked delicious.
My intent wasn't to scare you off, it was just my opinion from someone that works with a variety of woods daily, Domestics and Exotics.
The flag for me was what it does to my skin, Cherry, Oak, Maple, do nothing but Walnut does so I was just concerned that's all my friend.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:13 am

woodenvisions wrote:I'm glad it worked for you and the Ribs looked delicious.
My intent wasn't to scare you off, it was just my opinion from someone that works with a variety of woods daily, Domestics and Exotics.
The flag for me was what it does to my skin, Cherry, Oak, Maple, do nothing but Walnut does so I was just concerned that's all my friend.

Thanks! I understood the sentiment! No worries there. If it makes any difference, I can roll around in poison oak, poison ivy, sumac, etc; but I react to elephant ears.. :laughing7: :dont:
My next trial run is gonna be the sweet gum tree. I have a few branches I need to trim back anyways and what better way to treat the leftovers than to toss em in the smoker!!
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Txdragon wrote:
woodenvisions wrote:I'm glad it worked for you and the Ribs looked delicious.

Thanks! I understood the sentiment! No worries there. If it makes any difference, I can roll around in poison oak, poison ivy, sumac, etc; but I react to elephant ears.. :laughing7: :dont:
My next trial run is gonna be the sweet gum tree. I have a few branches I need to trim back anyways and what better way to treat the leftovers than to toss em in the smoker!!
Ur a better man than me !!

All I have to do is " look " at Ivy or Sumac and I'm in bad shape.

Please don't try Exotics, they are a totally different breed !

Years ago I bought a few planks of " Bloodwood ". It's a absolutely beautiful tree species. Look it up, the tree sap actually " bleeds " the sap.
I needed them run across a planer which I don't have so down to a cabinet maker down the road I went.
The owner wasn't there but his main guy was. He tells me this...

I can cut and plane these for you, but on top of the planing cost, you will need to pay me for a new blade when I cross cut it !
I thought he was joking but he wasn't. Bloodwood is almost as dense as say Wenge, and it is murder on blades !!
I said well no way I'm buying u new blades and left with it !

Went to Lowes, got a good Irwin chop saw blade, went home and made half a dozen cuts for length. After that the blade was TOAST .
So now still need them ran thru a planer and I decide to go the the tool supply I get my wood vaneer from. They teach shop classes a few nights a week. I ask them if they can do it and he says reluctantly yes....but when I'm done its gonna look like a CSI crime scene in here because of the type of wood.
As for the blade issue, he told me the planer blades don't wear as fast as the chop saw blades so he didn't mind.

50$ later, it looked like mass murder on the shop floor lmao.

We want to do our upstairs floors in either of those 2 woods but I would need to hit the lottery. Do search those woods for flooring pics, they are gorgeous.

P.S, Wenge " Dust " causes all sorts of psychedelic reactions
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:41 pm

I have smelled burning sweet gum. Smelled of creosote or burning tires. Granted, it was not hard cured. But will withhold judgment until the Dragon laboratory completes the test!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Boots wrote:I have smelled burning sweet gum. Smelled of creosote or burning tires. Granted, it was not hard cured. But will withhold judgment until the Dragon laboratory completes the test!

That's the consistency with all I have read so far; initially, it's rough. I may preheat the splits first.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:30 pm

Nice-looking reebz, TXD!

And the bloodwood floors...I just looked it up, it makes a gorgeous floor.
Moink!
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Good looking ribs Dragon. :D :salut: :salut: :salut:
Here is a list from years past I have and your walnut is right there.
ACACIA - these trees are in the same family as mesquite. When burned in a smoker, acacia has a flavor similar to mesquite but not quite as heavy. A very hot burning wood.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Members report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA and OLIVE. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i. e. pear and cherry) are also suitable for smoking.

Other Internet sources list the wood from the following trees as suitable for smoking: BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”