Pork Ribs on The Traeger Bronson 20

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Jainagirl
Pilgrim

Pork Ribs on The Traeger Bronson 20

Postby Jainagirl » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi, everyone:

I have a question about pork ribs and the Traeger Bronson 20 pellet smoker/grill. This has happened a couple of times. When I make ribs, they come out almost too cooked, falling off the bone in shreds. The flavor and smoke are great, but they seem to be overcooked, according to what I see on TV. You can't just pick up a rib and take a bite -- the meat just falls off. Anyway, I think I need to adjust my cooking times. Presently, I'm doing 3 hr smoke, 2 hr wrapped and 1 hour glaze. I add some apple juice and seasonings to the wrap. I don't really know which times to adjust. Your help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I usually make a single rack, in the 3 to 4 pound weight range. Use Williams Rib Tickler rub and Traeger Sugar Lips glaze, membrane removed.

Thanks in advance,

Jaina
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Pork Ribs on The Traeger Bronson 20

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 pm

First of all Howdy and Welcome to the Forum. :tup:
I have a Pellet Grill that I do Ribs on and have used the 3-2-1 method with the same fall off the bone results but that's because my Wife prefers them that way. However, I have kept the meat in tact by only wrapping for 1 hr. with pretty good success. Maybe some other members will have some other options to share with you also. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
pablof
Pilgrim

Postby pablof » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:58 pm

I too only wrap an hour. I don't do St.Louis ribs any longer.... only baby backs. Much better flavor and meatier in my opinion.

I do 3/1/1 to avoid the "fall off" the bone. I like a little bite.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:29 pm

Welcome aboard:

I do 1,1,1,1

1 hr smoke
1 hr naked @ 275°
1 hr wrapped
1 hr naked again checking for done and glazing. depending on done test I may go another .5 hr.

Check for done:
lift the rack in the middle with tongs the rack will droop if the meat breaks and starts pulling apart you done. After smoke I stay @ 275°.

Tip: as you can tell from the other responses the wrapped time is critical for the tenderness of the ribs use your own experience to adjust that.
Wrapped to me means on a cookie sheet covered with foil some liquid added.
Naked again means take the foil off.

I have been cooking on a pellet cooker for 20 years and currently have 3 different ones but once you learn your cooker they all can cook great Q.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”