How do you pick out your meat?

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

How do you pick out your meat?

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:57 am

When choosing a brisket, what cut of brisket do you choose and what do you look for when you are buying it?

Same question for ribs.

I have never done a brisket, but it's about time... And when I buy ribs, I normally buy the cheapie pork spares, but they are starting to get pretty fatty...
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: How do you pick out your meat?

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am

nascarchuck wrote:When choosing a brisket, what cut of brisket do you choose and what do you look for when you are buying it?

Same question for ribs.

I have never done a brisket, but it's about time... And when I buy ribs, I normally buy the cheapie pork spares, but they are starting to get pretty fatty...

What state you from?
Buy a packer so you get the idea what a brisket is all about. Pick one about 10-12 lb and look for even meat meaning it doesn't get real thin on the end of the flat. Do the bend test, try it on several and you'll get the drift. You are checking for excessive fat that will be hard and stiff when cold. you can do a visual and poke it all around to check.
Spares just do a visual for too much fat or excessive trimming. Pick smaller racks they will be more tender but the big ones taste good too. Don't buy the imported ones they suck.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:18 am

For me on brisket I try to find one that the flat is somewhat the same thickness all the way thru. I have heard that is you can pick one and bend the ends together or close together it will be a tender one, but people here with more experience will give you better advice.

I basically only buy the flats now anyway due to my family doesn't like the more fatty point. (burnt ends are not a huge hit here, but maybe I have not cooked em right)
However that said, whole briskets are less $ per pound, so I could just separate the flat and point and cook it that way.

I always like to have leftovers for brisket chili and fajitas.

On the ribs, I like to buy the 3 packs from Sam's and just try to pick some that don't have so much fat on em, however they are stacked, so the ones in the middle and bottom may not look quite as good.

If you cook em all, you can have leftovers, or you can freeze a rack or two and have em for next time.

I do not cook spares much, usually the Baby or Loin back ribs.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:22 am

I like packers in cryovac. It's a little harder to do the visual but they're not overly trimmed like some of the super market briskets. I usually buy the three pack of loin backs in cryovac, making sure that they are not "enhanced". Have been know to buy a spare and dress it down to St. Louis cut, you can get spares in cryovac in singles.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 am

Try to find Choice briskets - WalMart has'em a lot, as does Sam's. You only want about 1/4 to 3/8" of fat. I even cut out the hard fat chunk between the point and flat. I try to stay under 12 pounds on the briskets.
With the ribs, stick to the better brands or check out Sam's.
First brisket, remember low and slow. Can't rush a brisket. It may take longer, but you'll be glad you took the time!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
soezzy USER_AVATAR
SoEzzy
Wrangler

Postby SoEzzy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:54 am

When you have the chance go see the meat at a "real" butcher.

You will see differences in color and thickness of fat on briskets, some folks say grain fed all the way is best, some say grass fed is best, some say fed on grass to start and grain to "finish" is best, I like them all, even the Kobe beef fed on sake and beer, and given daily massages to keep them tender.

Buy full packers and cut them yourself if you must, the difference in price between a flat cut and a packer, will give you the point and the flat for the same price as the flat alone, buy it and cut it and get meat for free, (I know it's not really free, you're not paying twice the price for someone else to take 6 minutes and trim the flat from the point.

At the end of the day, quality will win out, go for a better grade every time over higher price, and a higher price is not an indicator of the meat grade, where you're buying your meat is a better indicator than the price alone.

For spares again get a look at a real butchers shop where you can see a selection of what's available, I like them to be between 11 and 12 lbs in the cryovac, much above or below this and I won't buy them, Baby backs in the cryovac I like a 3 pack under 7 lbs.

I'd rather pay for spares and cut them St Louis style myself than pay someone else to cut them for me, this gives you some time with the meat, learning about the cut, the fat hard and white or tending to yellow, how marbled the meat is, if there is any funky smells, etc.

It gives you a chance to see what a grade of meat means, down next to the bone and all the way to the outside.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:32 pm

The others have already given good advice about the briskets. Even thickness, flexible etc. For ribs (I usually only cook spares 'cause there better) I just try to be sure that there are no shiners on the racks that I can see.

James.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”