Can someone tell me what I just bought and how to use it? ($15 random smoker purchase"

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Cayaco
Pilgrim

Can someone tell me what I just bought and how to use it? ($15 random smoker purchase"

Postby Cayaco » Sun May 24, 2020 2:44 pm

Hello!

I am new and I just bought this thing from someone in town for $15 and I do not know how to use it as I have never used a smoker before myself. It is open at the bottom and there are no vents anywhere. A lid, two bowls of some kind. I figure for $15 if I can make it work and cook something I will be happy, but I do not know where to begin or what I am supposed to do. My thought process in this whole thing was "$15, yeah why not" and now that its home I realized I did not think this whole thing through.

Here is a link to a bunch of pictures I just took: https://imgur.com/a/yNhtl0y
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Can someone tell me what I just bought and how to use it? ($15 random smoker purchase"

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 24, 2020 2:52 pm

:laughing7: :lol: :D this is hilarious that "I" of all people should be the one to OK and answer this Post. That is what we call an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman) or a Brinkman Smoker and I have been using one for most of my Grilling and Smoking Life. I'll bet I have bought and wore out at least a dozen in my life and since they are no longer in business, I'm probably wearing out my last one and I'll have to go to another brand after this one, which ain't too long. LOL I need to go look at the pics closer and I'll be right back. :salut:

OK, you've got enuff to use it. The large pan goes at the bottom and is for the charcoal. The small pan is for water if you want to smoke something like a ham or turkey (it does a great job). Of course the Grill is just that and you might be able to find replacement parts.

If I think about it and it isn't raining to hard, I'll take some pics of mine and the attachments I have and post them here for you. I may even have an instruction book around here some where. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Cayaco
Pilgrim

Re: Can someone tell me what I just bought and how to use it? ($15 random smoker purchase"

Postby Cayaco » Sun May 24, 2020 3:51 pm

Neat! Thanks for this and whatever comes next.

So then I can get it set up, thats a good start. With this setup, and me going from knowing nothing about smoking to where we are now a few hours later, what do I do about temps? All of the random searching I have been doing online keep talking about using vents and regulators and whatever to perfect your air flow to have an exact temp and keeping it for hours. This one has none of that and from what you are saying I just light some coal and hope for the best?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 24, 2020 4:04 pm

It is what you see and I have grilled and smoked with success for years on one.
I have an extra instruction booklet for the Brinkmans that you can have if you want it.
Just PM (Private Message) me your address and I'll drop it in the mail to you.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 24, 2020 4:09 pm

I also found this Video along with several more when I googled "how to grill or smoke on a Brinkmann Smoker"
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... XfqJzQBw32
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 pm

You now own what was also my first "real" smoker although I only owned one and that was enough.
I too successfully cooked a lot of food on the thing but it takes some some serious babysitting especially on a windy day. On a calm day not so much.
I developed a bunch of modifications to help control temperature I remember a water pan full of sand and a ring of sheet metal to encircle the bottom to help control wind.
There are much easier ways to smoke but not for $15...
tarde venientibus ossa....
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun May 24, 2020 6:46 pm

The ECB was our first smoker, too...and we still have it.
Moink!
Cayaco
Pilgrim

Postby Cayaco » Sun May 24, 2020 7:11 pm

How well does it hold heat and what do I do about the temperatures? There are no vents and also no bottom without mods, so I just load up lit coals, throw on some meat, and hope for the best?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm

It's a learning process but there are some Videos out there if you google them.
I don't think I'd try a Brisket to start off with. I do beer can chickens with great results as well as ribs, steak, wings and shrimp.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Sun May 24, 2020 7:57 pm

This was my first “smoker” too. Like Parts said it’s pretty good for smaller meats. I did do a couple turkeys on mine but it was a babysitting job from hades. Like everything it has it’s place and purpose. $15 is a great buy in.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Fooldancing
Rustler

Postby Fooldancing » Sun May 24, 2020 8:18 pm

My next door neighbor bought one last year at a yard sale. He hasn't used it yet, but I'm trying to get him to. I've never cooked with one either.

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun May 24, 2020 8:50 pm

This is a cooker I never had. I did, however, have it's cousin; "Old Smokey".
(Insert witty signature here)
Cayaco
Pilgrim

Postby Cayaco » Mon May 25, 2020 5:16 am

With no vents and no bottom, does it only have one cooking temperature?

Here is the manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/45695 ... Grill.html
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 25, 2020 5:23 am

The one that I have now that my S.I.L. gave me several years ago does have a vent on the lid that I made and it stays open all the time :laughing7: :lol: :D I'll try and get some pics this morning if possible.
Cayaco
Pilgrim

Postby Cayaco » Mon May 25, 2020 5:27 am

That must be one of those custom mods people talk about. This one looks stock, beat up, but no modifications. One thing I am going to need is a new temperature gauge. I guess I can go get some coal and fire it up and see what happens.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”