The Old Big Dog

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: The Old Big Dog

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:55 pm

If it were mine and I could swing the added expense I would go with a slightly oversized firebox.
It will be more efficient in the end. And if you do like the flip top lid for gilling that is doable as well.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:34 pm

k.a.m. wrote:If it were mine and I could swing the added expense I would go with a slightly oversized firebox.
It will be more efficient in the end. And if you do like the flip top lid for gilling that is doable as well.

I will tell the fabricator. My very first smoker had a fire box but it had a slide out ash box, sure was easy to clean up
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:14 am

Rambo wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:If it were mine and I could swing the added expense I would go with a slightly oversized firebox.

I will tell the fabricator. My very first smoker had a fire box but it had a slide out ash box, sure was easy to clean up

In my opinion square fireboxes are always the way to go if you can swing it. Looking forward to seeing her back in action.
By the way if you are free this weekend I will be judging the BBQ contest at the Lufkin Texas State Forest Festival in September.
https://ibcabbq.org/contest-details/?contestid=10678

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:50 pm

I will tell him Square oversized and will look forward to meeting you and your wife. We’ll go to Lufkin BBQ and get Fried Yeast Rolls or I’ll bring them to Y’all
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:10 pm

Rambo wrote:I will tell him Square oversized and will look forward to meeting you and your wife. We’ll go to Lufkin BBQ and get Fried Yeast Rolls or I’ll bring them to Y’all

We are judging Livingston this weekend at Pedigo park. The tribe usually has a booth set up that sells fried bread.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:03 pm

Rambo wrote:I will tell him Square oversized and will look forward to meeting you and your wife. We’ll go to Lufkin BBQ and get Fried Yeast Rolls or I’ll bring them to Y’all

I have met them both, I promise Rambo it will be your pleasure. Or at least it was mine.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:36 pm

:tup: :tup:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:59 pm

I went by and visited with the Fabricator and we are going square, oversized. He’s also going to cut me all new grates, sandblast, and paint. I’m very excited. At 67, almost 68, she’ll get me to the Promise Land. I had always thought this was a Lyfetime pit out of Uvalde but he told me it was definitely Custom made and they did a heck of a job. He’s going to use 3/8 on the box. I’m very excited; a lot of memories with this old pit
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:23 pm

:tup: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:24 am

Rambo wrote:I went by and visited with the Fabricator and we are going square, oversized. He’s also going to cut me all new grates, sandblast, and paint. I’m very excited. At 67, almost 68, she’ll get me to the Promise Land. I had always thought this was a Lyfetime pit out of Uvalde but he told me it was definitely Custom made and they did a heck of a job. He’s going to use 3/8 on the box. I’m very excited; a lot of memories with this old pit

Good choices all around in my opinion Rambo. She will be like cooking on a new cooker and give you plenty to do dialing her in. I look forward to following the journey.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:39 am

We, (my shop and the guys that worked there) used to build our own pits, we built life time pits before lyfe time was in business...(40+ years ago)
today none of us that built those pits have them, they were simply too heavy so several folks around Brackettville still have good BBQ pits to this day. :D
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:46 pm

spacetrucker wrote:We, (my shop and the guys that worked there) used to build our own pits, we built life time pits before lyfe time was in business...(40+ years ago)
today none of us that built those pits have them, they were simply too heavy so several folks around Brackettville still have good BBQ pits to this day. :D

:tup: :wav: :cheers: :texas: :tup: :wav: :cheers: :texas: :tup: :wav: :cheers: :texas: :tup: :wav: :cheers: :texas: :tup: :wav: :cheers: :texas: :tup: :wav: :cheers: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:38 pm

It is heavy
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:12 pm

OK; The Fabricator called me this afternoon. He has a 24” round piece that is 26” inches long. He can make me NEW. Sandblasted & painted for $950. If I go square it’s $1500
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:01 am

Rambo wrote:OK; The Fabricator called me this afternoon. He has a 24” round piece that is 26” inches long. He can make me NEW. Sandblasted & painted for $950. If I go square it’s $1500

As I mentioned earlier Rambo either will work you just have to decide if you want to spend the extra on a square box.
I have owned both and when I can swing it I go square if not pipe is always a viable option. You may ask if you go 1/4" instead of the 3/8" will that bring it down. If you keep the ash cleaned out the 1/4" will last a long time. But again either will work.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”