Are you thinking of buying or upgrading your equipment

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

What info would you want if you were in the market for a new pit?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:19 pm

Links to Manufacturer web sites
42%
"Consumer Reports" type chart including links
33%
I don't need no stinking help!
8%
Why am I here?
17%

Total votes: 12
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Are you thinking of buying or upgrading your equipment

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:19 pm

In our never ending quest to improve the site, your input is vital. Consider this a focus group, you're the white rats :lol: Exit Poll comments are equally valued so speak your mind.

Please note, I'm not voting as not to influence the results of the poll. :roll:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:46 pm

I'd really be interested in what members use and what they think of what they use.

How many pieces of equiptment they used before setteling on what they are using now. Why they got rid of the other stuff.

You can read all sorts of reports from the builders on why their pits are the best. "Consumer Reports" really aren't consumers. They are more or less controlled uses of equiptment for a short period of time.

Example: The ECB. Most of us probably started with it and got rid of it. A newbie checking out the Forum sees the ECB and everyone agreeing that it sucks. BUT we don't say why. However, one or two of us may have an ECB and think its the greatest thing in the world. I'd like to hear why.

I started out with an ECB. I hated it. I had to fiddle with it every 10 minutes to keep the charcoal burning. The water pan dropped on me several times. I worked on it and with it to turn out some ok Q. It wasn't worth the effort.

I went to a Masterbuilt electric. It was easier but it depended on a nearby outlet. Extension cords were a draw back and I had problems getting smoke flavor into my cooks. It was more like a portable oven.

I am currently using WSMs. Right now I think they are the greatest smoker for the value. I've placed in sanctioned contests beating out Klose, FECs, Backwoods, Horizon, etc. cookers. Its almost a set it and forget it charcoal smoker. I don't have to put logs in it every 45 minutes thru out the night.

Is it the best smoker / cooker? For me right now it is. Maybe, with a few GCs under my belt I can afford a couple of BGEs or maybe a nice pellet smoker.

Oops. Did I ramble?
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:58 pm

I would like to see a consumer reports style of info with links to manufacturers. But, also include a quick rundown of what folks think are the pros and cons of different smokers, preferably from personal experience.

I personally am interested in a commercial use smoker.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:38 pm

Burnt Food Dude wrote:I'd really be interested in what members use and what they think of what they use.

How many pieces of equiptment they used before setteling on what they are using now. Why they got rid of the other stuff.

Hey Mike...

I just bought a CG Super Pro and love it. As far as upgrades, at the end of the month (next paycheck) I will be buying the SFB, warmer plate and probably the cast iron griddle from CG. Also hope to buy one of those dual probe thermometers from Larry Wolfe.

My previous grills are a Char Broiler gas grill that I just flat wore out. My wife bought some cheapo charcoal grill and I hated it until I joined my first BBQ board. I learned alot there and even what I was doing wrong with that charcoal grill. If finally wore out and that's when I got my CG.

My plans are to learn to smoke and get good at it. Once that happens I want to upgrade to a larger, nicer smoker. Ratmo makes some nice smokers and I am wanting to upgrade to one of his in a couple of years.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:58 am

I prefer knowing something performs before I buy. That means personal experience, reviews from experienced users, or head-to-head comparisons. In the case of a grill, that means I've used it (or seen it used), talked to people here or at other BBQ forums, or CR tests and reviews.

Budget plays a part in what I get, which is why I like reviews. If others like it, and I can find out the good and bad points, I feel like I make a better purchase. No offense intended, but manufacturers' websites and brochures are just gonna blow smoke. I don't want to know the new models come in red, black, or stainless. I want to know if the burners are toast after a year, or that clean-up is easy cause they improved access to the grease drawer.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:41 am

i get a lot of my info just hearing what people have to say they use it they are the ones that know what it is like. the people who have just bought it can tell ya why they bought it but untill they use it for a while it is all new car fever. test it out then tell me.
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Barbecue pit

Postby Stan41 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:45 am

I think I am going backwards in my cooking. I have owned nearly every kind of pit made - from a stationary brick pit to a gas, and electric grill. I only cook for myself and company. Not in to competition.
What I use now is a 55 gallon drum with the top cut out. I drilled 4 holes about 8 inches from the top to put rebar rods in it. I use a stainless steel grill that came out of a large rock crusher. Very tough material.
To cook I put mesquite firewood in the barrel, let the wood burn down to coals, place the grill on the rods and cook. I can put the lid back on the barrel if I want to.

As I get older the less I like a heavy smoke on meat. I do like a light smoke and mesquite suits me.
Stan
Delaware Smoker
Bandolero

Postby Delaware Smoker » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:27 am

I started out buying a Brinkman vertical smoker.Smoked a brisket & ham in it,& hated it.Couldn't get temps up.I just joined another bbq site at the time.All through the nite,people were trying to help me.Two weeks later,I bought a CG w/sfb.I love it.Oh yeah,the Brinkman sits by the CG.It holds my bbq supplies. :lol:
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:37 pm

Can't see the results until you vote so I voted "why am I here" as not to skew the results. Great comments so far. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”