Brine a brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wayne USER_AVATAR
wayne
Wrangler

Brine a brisket

Postby wayne » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Hello all, newbie here. A simple Q here that maybe someone can help me out on. I have been researching brinig a brisket. There is some infor, but far and few in between. I know this is something this not a big thing, but I want to give it a try. Any suggestion? Here is my plan;

1 Gal Water
1 Cup Kosher Salt
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Apple vinegar
1/4 Cup Molasses
1/4 Cup Worcestershire
2 TBS Black Pepper

Have any of you brined a brisket, know of anyone who has, and/or direct me to a good site or information regarding this subject? thanks in advance.
Wayne
I am no competitor, but am pursuing the "WOW that has to be the best BBQ Ribs, Brisket, or Chicken I have tasted" results. And, I love to smoke on my grill, Traegar Lil Tex. http://www.traegergrills.com
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Brine a brisket

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Welcome to the forum 1st off.

Never brined a brisket before. A brine is mostly salt and water. Briskets usually have enough fat built in to keep them moist.

Now I have heard about injecting briskets with some super secret solution of liquid and spices, designed to enhance the flavor profile. Add a cure and you have a pickle.

I'm thinking, and its just my opinion, but what you have in mind would be better used in a big hunk of pork.

I'm sure others with more experience toying with briskets will comment. I usually just rub 'em.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
wayne USER_AVATAR
wayne
Wrangler

Postby wayne » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I have smoked briskets for several years as most on here, but not as long as some. I have to admit, I do a pretty good job at it. I use a coffee wet rub, wrap in sarhen (sp) wrap, and store in the fridge overnight. Then take out and smoke accordingly. However, I am always looking for taking something to the next level just to see how it will turn out. I will use this soulation for pork rib, butts, and tenderloins, I threw out that question to see what is out there to try regarding brisket.
I am no competitor, but am pursuing the "WOW that has to be the best BBQ Ribs, Brisket, or Chicken I have tasted" results. And, I love to smoke on my grill, Traegar Lil Tex. http://www.traegergrills.com
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:52 pm

On the last episode of BBQ Pit Masters ol Myron trimmed all the fat off a brisket and injected it with his majik sauce. I thought it made sense, cut all the fat off so it looks like a big tenderloin you got to do something to keep it moist :lol:

We got folks here who inject their briskets, I'm sure they'll jump in.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
wbbq USER_AVATAR
WBBQ
Bandolero

Postby WBBQ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:55 pm

Welcome to the forum Wayne.

Were is a few write ups on briskets that may help. I usually inject, but it is not required.

Here's one of my own cooks: http://backyard-barbeque.blogspot.com/2 ... -2009.html" target="_blank

Here is a couple of others:

http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq ... isket.html" target="_blank

http://www.kickassbbq.com/brisket.html" target="_blank

http://www.kickassbbq.com/quick_cook_brisket.htm" target="_blank

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket2.html" target="_blank

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket3.html" target="_blank

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html" target="_blank

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/virtualbrisket.html" target="_blank

http://www.backyardbashkc.com/gallery/s ... 0Trimming/" target="_blank

This should give you a great start. Good luck and shoot me a PM if you need anything else.

Weldon
Weldon

Lone Star Grillz Large Cabinet Smoker
Old Country Pecos Smoker
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Smoker
Monolith BBQ Guru Edition Kamado Smoker
Sunterra 36" Santa Maria Grill
Weber Gas Grill
surfinsapo USER_AVATAR
Surfinsapo
Outlaw

Postby Surfinsapo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:28 pm

Wouldn't a brined brisket turn into the Irish corned beef? I love that with cabbage.. Let us know what happens
ImageImage ImageImage
simon USER_AVATAR
simon
Outlaw

Postby simon » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:08 am

I agree. Never heard of brining a brisket.

When I´m no to lazy, I brine sometimes poultry.

With poultry I have had success with brining. Adds moisture.

Only rub your brisket with better less then more, and put in on the pit. IMHO the secret for a great brisket is maintain the temp and patience.
Greetings

Simon
wbbq USER_AVATAR
WBBQ
Bandolero

Postby WBBQ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:11 am

If you add tender quick or a different curing salt then yes you get pastrami or corned beef, but with just salt, maybe some sugar, and what other flavors that you want to get down in the meat...you just have a brine...has the same effect that it has on chicken or pork (IMHO) I inject because it works faster. Injecting or brining does not guarantee a great brisket (a lot more goes into than that) and you can get a great product without it, but I feel that it adds a little extra to the party. This is only my opinion, you just have to give it a try and see what you like best.

Weldon
Weldon

Lone Star Grillz Large Cabinet Smoker
Old Country Pecos Smoker
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Smoker
Monolith BBQ Guru Edition Kamado Smoker
Sunterra 36" Santa Maria Grill
Weber Gas Grill
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:27 am

I never tried brining a brisket, I've injected a few but mostly dry rub and they always come out great!

Lemme know how it comes out, might be worth a try!

Andy
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:13 pm

I've never brined a brisket either but I do inject.

Heres why.
I you and I bought a brisket each, and lets it was off the same steer so we know the meat is the same.

And lets say we each cook them with a different dry rub, no maranade or injection. and we use the same wood, say pecan. When they are done cooking, we each trim off all the bark down to just the meat.

Question. Will they really taste different? I just have never been able to taste much difference in the meat only on a brisket that was just rubed with a dry rub.

Thats why I inject because you get the flavors down into the meat

That just my thinking

What do you guys think?
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:45 pm

Pony Express wrote:I've never brined a brisket either but I do inject.

Heres why.
I you and I bought a brisket each, and lets it was off the same steer so we know the meat is the same.

And lets say we each cook them with a different dry rub, no maranade or injection. and we use the same wood, say pecan. When they are done cooking, we each trim off all the bark down to just the meat.

Question. Will they really taste different? I just have never been able to taste much difference in the meat only on a brisket that was just rubed with a dry rub.

Thats why I inject because you get the flavors down into the meat

That just my thinking

What do you guys think?

In blind taste test with only the meat and no bark, all other things being equal I would choose the un-injected brisket because I like the flavor of unadulterated beef. The bark adds the "enhancers" for me. But I will inject a turkey (not much on those anyway) and I use an injector when making pastrami to speed up the cure. Its just the way I like 'em. Guess I wouldn't make a very good KCBS Judge :lol: 8)
Deputy Dave

BAR "G" BBQ
Outlaw

Postby BAR "G" BBQ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:23 pm

I have marinated brisket but never brined; I have to agree with the others in the fact you would end up with pastramie or corned beef. I know I probably didn't spell Pa-stra-mie right. Gave up on marinating due to the fact you only get about 1/4" flavor penetration on dense cuts such as brisket unless you marinate for an extended period of time thats not possible to achive at comps. I do inject my briskets with a mixture (sorry top secret) that enhances the beef flavor rather than cover it up.
BAR "G"
wayne USER_AVATAR
wayne
Wrangler

Postby wayne » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks for all of your inputs....never gave it a thought it will or could turn out such as pastrami or corned beef. That is why I asked the Q before I ruin the meat. With that, I am leaning towards injecting the brisket. I have a receipt that I will give a try on Sunday.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:33 pm

I'll throw you a bone I inject my briskets and to prove what I am going to tell you try this take a brisket and cut it in two long ways from the center of the point through the tail of the flat. prep one 1/2 the way that you always do the other 1/2 inject with this:
1 pkg of McCormicks Aus Jus mixed with 3 cups black coffee,
1 tbl Worcestershire,
1tsp Louisiana hot sauce
1 tbl of your favorite rub
Inject every inch.
Apply a generous amount of K- salt, CBP and Mex Oregano as a rub
The solution that you have left add a 1/4 cup of vegetable oil to and use as a mop after 2 hrs in the smoke. Mop every hour till done or till you foil if you roll that way. Smoke with the other 1/2. Trim off some of both and do a blind taste test then you tell me.You will never go back to cooking rub only Brisket again.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
pony express USER_AVATAR
Pony Express
Outlaw

Postby Pony Express » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:01 pm

BluDawg wrote:I'll throw you a bone I inject my briskets and to prove what I am going to tell you try this take a brisket and cut it in two long ways from the center of the point through the tail of the flat. prep one 1/2 the way that you always do the other 1/2 inject with this:
1 pkg of McCormicks Aus Jus mixed with 3 cups black coffee,
1 tbl Worcestershire,
1tsp Louisiana hot sauce
1 tbl of your favorite rub
Inject every inch.
Apply a generous amount of K- salt, CBP and Mex Oregano as a rub
The solution that you have left add a 1/4 cup of vegetable oil to and use as a mop after 2 hrs in the smoke. Mop every hour till done or till you foil if you roll that way. Smoke with the other 1/2. Trim off some of both and do a blind taste test then you tell me.You will never go back to cooking rub only Brisket again.

I'm with ya brother. No proof needed here
Charmglo gasser,
New Braunfels offset smoker
Custom trailer pit offset smoker

Git-er done
GIG EM

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”