Brine a brisket

All BBQ smoked Low-N-Slow OR Hot-N-Fast goes here.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

freddog
Pilgrim

Brine a brisket

Postby freddog » Tue May 09, 2017 7:27 pm

I have been smoking Ham German schinken Salmon etc for 35
years My friend wants to bring over a brisket so I have some
questions! How do I do a tasty brine recipe? About How long
should it cook for (12lbs) what temperature and what kind of
wood should I use. :dont: Thanks FD
rockinar
Pilgrim

Re: Brine a brisket

Postby rockinar » Tue May 30, 2017 8:13 pm

You dont brine briskets.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Tue May 30, 2017 9:33 pm

rockinar wrote:You dont brine briskets.

Have you ever rubbed a brisket and let it rest overnight, 24 hours, 4 hours, or any length of time? Then you have brined a brisket! This is a dry brine; and I do it all the time!!
Cheers!
(Insert witty signature here)
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:54 pm

Txdragon wrote:
rockinar wrote:You dont brine briskets.

Have you ever rubbed a brisket and let it rest overnight, 24 hours, 4 hours, or any length of time? Then you have brined a brisket! This is a dry brine; and I do it all the time!!
Cheers!

I never have but what do I know. I don't brine anything. Heck I don't even know what a brine is. As soon as my briskets, ribs, chickens are hit with the rub they go on the smoker. Maybe I am doing it all wrong but it always gets all eaten. :dont:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Wed May 31, 2017 8:18 am

bobcat1 wrote:I never have but what do I know. I don't brine anything. Heck I don't even know what a brine is. As soon as my briskets, ribs, chickens are hit with the rub they go on the smoker. Maybe I am doing it all wrong but it always gets all eaten. :dont:

Traditionally, a brine is a solution of water, sugar and/or herbs and other spices that you soak whatever meat item in for a given amount of time before cooking. Basically the same thing as a marinade with the exception of oil. A marinade contains oil, brine does not. A basic wet brine consists of a gallon of water mixed with a salt/sugar ratio of 1:1, normally a cup of each. Then you soak whatever it is you're planning to cook for about an hour per 1/2" of thickness; or per pound. You can definitely go longer, that's just a recommended minimum ;)
There's nothing at all wrong with your method now, don't think that! There is certainly more than one way to skin a cat!!
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:14 am

Txdragon wrote:
bobcat1 wrote:I never have but what do I know. I don't brine anything. Heck I don't even know what a brine is. As soon as my briskets, ribs, chickens are hit with the rub they go on the smoker. Maybe I am doing it all wrong but it always gets all eaten. :dont:

Traditionally, a brine is a solution of water, sugar and/or herbs and other spices that you soak whatever meat item in for a given amount of time before cooking. Basically the same thing as a marinade with the exception of oil. A marinade contains oil, brine does not. A basic wet brine consists of a gallon of water mixed with a salt/sugar ratio of 1:1, normally a cup of each. Then you soak whatever it is you're planning to cook for about an hour per 1/2" of thickness; or per pound. You can definitely go longer, that's just a recommended minimum ;)
There's nothing at all wrong with your method now, don't think that! There is certainly more than one way to skin a cat!!

Thanks! What is it that a brine is supposed to do? I honestly do not know.
westcoastsmoke USER_AVATAR
WestCoastSmoke
Wrangler

Postby WestCoastSmoke » Wed May 31, 2017 9:31 am

I've done a Dr Pepper brine (soak) before.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed May 31, 2017 11:08 am

WestCoastSmoke wrote:I've done a Dr Pepper brine (soak) before.

On what, may I ask...and how'd it work?
Moink!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:19 am

bobcat1 wrote:Thanks! What is it that a brine is supposed to do? I honestly do not know.

It is just like a marinade (except no oil); It is to impart flavor and moisture into the meat. When you read labels on packaged meat at the store and it says it has been treated with a 9% solution for flavor and juicyness, same thing. They usually inject it though, rather than letting the product soak.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:12 am

Txdragon wrote:
bobcat1 wrote:Thanks! What is it that a brine is supposed to do? I honestly do not know.

It is just like a marinade (except no oil); It is to impart flavor and moisture into the meat. When you read labels on packaged meat at the store and it says it has been treated with a 9% solution for flavor and juicyness, same thing. They usually inject it though, rather than letting the product soak.

Thank you sir. :salut:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:05 am

Brining a brisket is like putting pants on a pig.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
westcoastsmoke USER_AVATAR
WestCoastSmoke
Wrangler

Postby WestCoastSmoke » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:07 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
WestCoastSmoke wrote:I've done a Dr Pepper brine (soak) before.

On what, may I ask...and how'd it work?

Not sure if it added to the taste, maybe it did...a sweeter cola taste.
But I think the acidity Dr Pepper broke down the meat/fat a little.
Got the idea from a buddy back in Houston and his briskets are pretty darn good.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:26 am

WestCoastSmoke wrote:Not sure if it added to the taste, maybe it did...a sweeter cola taste.
But I think the acidity Dr Pepper broke down the meat/fat a little.
Got the idea from a buddy back in Houston and his briskets are pretty darn good.

The taste is the taste! This is the flavoring and sugar on the surface that gets caramelized during the cooking process. The acids in the soda itself, I hate to burst bubbles (no pun intended!), do nothing at all for any real tissue breakdown. It **MAY** play a small role on some of the exterior, but well before it can work its way to the deep tissues, those acids are rendered inert. Do soda based marinades add flavor? Yes! Tenderness? No. The only things we can do to ensure a piece of meat is tender is properly cook it. Anything we can add to any brine or marinade to assist in tenderizing is papain. This stout little enzyme is scientifically, and time tested! It has been used for ages and ages for that very purpose.. Papaya is a good source, and I learned of others (can't think of them offhand), or you can source it on its own through the interwebs..

Return to “Smokehouse - BBQ Discussion”