Bigwheel's Genuine Texas Hotlinks

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Taken without permission from another BBQ Forum :lol:

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
2 T. Morton's Tender Quick
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator
while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced beer over
the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate and mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy.

I've made these, they were a big hit!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
CoyoteBlues
Rustler

Postby CoyoteBlues » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:58 pm

That sounds absolutly awesome :D :D ...and looks even better....but waht is the msg for ...I try to stay away from that chemical!!!! :?

How long did those cook and at what temp???
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:57 pm

Well like Joe Ames always say..If you taste something that tastes good but you can't quite figger out whut it is...it's MSG. Now there is a few girlie men in the world (present company excluded of course) who claims it gives em headaches and menstrual cramps or whutever..but the way I look at it...a Billion chinamen can't be wrong. Sometimes I just eat it with a spoon.

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:39 pm

bigwheel wrote:Well like Joe Ames always say..If you taste something that tastes good but you can't quite figger out whut it is...it's MSG. Now there is a few girlie men in the world (present company excluded of course) who claims it gives em headaches and menstrual cramps or whutever..but the way I look at it...a Billion chinamen can't be wrong. Sometimes I just eat it with a spoon.

bigwheel

No MSG when I made mine, cramps or not. Actually, BIG TEXAS SIZE Headaches is what that stuff gives me 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:11 pm

Hey BW,
How do you think your "hot-links" would work with Puffs Pickled Sausage recipe? Think I'd smoke 'em at say 225 till they get to say 175?
Deputy Dave

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:22 pm

Woops..sorry I missed this post DAT's. The hotlinks work great for pickled sausage. Cook em at 175 till they hit an internal of around 153. The Cowtown Baloney works great too.

bigwheel
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:47 pm

Hey Bigwheel, I see that there are some renditions of your hotlink recipe floating around cyberspace that has 2 lbs of beef added to the mix. In your opinion, is it better with or without the beef addition?

Thanks,
James.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:26 am

Beef addition dont hurt em at all. Just keep up the fat content. Have even made em all beef a few times with good results using 80/20 chuck. Only thing about beef is depending on the ratio twixt it and the pork it will most times give a firmer bite which gets quite a bit firmer when you start approaching all beef.

bigwheel

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”