Venison Help

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jkokes
Wrangler

Venison Help

Postby jkokes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:38 am

Hey yall,

My stepdad brought me a young doe and I need some ideas. I do not want to turn the whole thing into sausage (minus the backstrap and tenderloin). I was wanting to extract some kind of roast, to be cooked either in the oven or BBQ pit. I am BBQing this weekend and I should have some room in the pit. Any one have any ideas/recipes they are willing to share? I am also in need of a venison sausage recipe too.

Thanks!
BBQ'n and Home Brewin'
Got Pivo?
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Re: Venison Help

Postby tex_toby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Chicken fried venison is a favorite of mine. Slice up one of those quarters, pound it out with a tenderizer hammer, batter and fry. All along some some mashed taters, corn & homemade gravy. MMMmmMMMMmmmmm Heavenly :angel1:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:49 pm

There's roast to be trimmed from the hams. Crock pot it and it's really good.
I've smoked them too but I always over cook them. They cook fast! They still taste fine to me and my buddies.
jkokes
Wrangler

Postby jkokes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:35 pm

I cut it all up last night. I have the backstraps and the roasts. I cut the tenderloins out, but they are so small I threw them in the sausage pile, to bad the deer was so young, I have mini everything. I made a pile a for jerky to. I froze it all last night, I need to do recipe research and find the time.

Anyone willing to share any recipes? Sausage? Jerky? Roast?

I was thinking about the chicken fried venison last night while trimming. I think I know what we will be eating at least once next week. :o

My wife told me to save the bones so that we can make a venison stock, which could be used for whatever...especially Gravy!
BBQ'n and Home Brewin'
Got Pivo?
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:16 pm

I have done this a few times. I don't get too fussy with the measurements.

Wet rub

1 cup creole mustard - I use Zatarains
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped garlic
1 cup fresh rosemary - don't need to chop
Salt and pepper to taste

Rub and Straight to your pit or wrap and into the fridge for several hours or overnight

On to your pit with your favorite smoke - i like oak on venison
Smoke till 140 internal temp - don't want to overcook and dry it out

Haven't tried it but smoking to 130 or so and then a reverse sear should work nicely.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Fry it or mix it 50/50 with pork for sausage. The End
brentski USER_AVATAR
brentski
Cowboy

Postby brentski » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:20 pm

My favorite venison roast recipe"
Take the roast and with a sharp knife slice it about one inch thick, kind of like unrolling it, and keep slicing until it is a continuous piece of flat meat.
Season it with your favorite seasoning and then take about, depending upon the size of your roast, 4-6 cups of cooked stove top stuffing and spread it on top of the raw meat. i also add about 4-5 slices of well cooked diced bacon spread evenly and then sometimes shred some fresh carrot as well over the top. Now have some butchers string handy and roll this up like you would a home made cinnamon roll and wrap with the string to keep it together while cooking. After wrapping with twine slightly oil all of the outside and cover with flour/favorite seasonings and brown in skillet, then put into the oven for 33-36 minutes per pound at 325 degrees. Slice and serve warm with cream corn and mexican corn bread.
brentski USER_AVATAR
brentski
Cowboy

Postby brentski » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Forgot to add, we really like the High Mountain Sage Breakfast Sausage mix. We just add a little smoked granulated garlic and little white pepper as well. We do 40 venison=60 ground up pork butts for a little less dry sausage and still find ourselves adding a little water to keep it moist when frying.
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:32 pm

I like mojo criollo for marinating bambi roasts.
If the ham will fit in a crockpot,do that.

dub(little =tender)
juan.v3ga
Pilgrim

Postby juan.v3ga » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:09 pm

I do a fair amount of venison and figured I'd try and reinvigorate this old post.

Roast in a crock pot with onion soup mix and some beer is always good. Make the drippings into gravy. Don't forget the taters and carrots and onions...about 2 hours before you're ready to eat.

My main issue is prep. I'm lazy and I do my own processing...and I hate doing it all at once...all day situation. :(

So here how I solve for it - I cut the roasts and then trim out sausage grind from the rest.

I grind and freeze the burger right away in one pound-ish bags. The burger gets defrosted as needed and used three ways:
1) as burger in chili, etc.
2) mixed with seasoning and (maybe) ground pork then cooked as patty sausage
3) seasoned and made into smoked sausage that can then be frozen again (cooked).

The roasts can also get thawed and used several ways:
1) it's a roast (duh) ;)
2) cut into steaks, chicken fried IS the best (per above)
3) cut into strips and make jerky. After beginning and smoking, it can be frozen again safely
4) like corned beef? Corned venison is even better. The process is easy, makes the venison juicy and tasty. And you can make two do you can freeze one. Corning is basically hefty brining and makes the meat safe to re-freeze.
5) if you like pastrami...well, it's just smoked corned beef...easy to do with your corned venison too. Also a form of cooking so I've been known to re-freeze AGAIN as its safe once cooked after brining.

That really let's me break up the processing into much more convenient chunks.

Hope it helps.

Juan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Howdy and Welcome, Juan :tup: :salut: :texas: thanks for sharing your Bambi Tips :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Welcome Juan. Great advice on the venison.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”