When to add the cure

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

When to add the cure

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:06 pm

Thinking about making some beef summer sausage. Found several recipes, but some say add the cure to the meat, stick in the fridge for a couple of days then add the seasonings but some say to add the seasons at the same time you add the cure and refrigerate for a day or two.

Does it make a difference?

I'll be using Morton Tender Quick since that's what I got on hand.

Cooking times and temps vary greatly also. I was thinking about dialing in Einstein to about 180* and smoking over lump to an internal temp of 165*

Sound like a plan?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:37 pm

Assuming your going to be stuffing in some type of cases add the cure and all seasonings immediately before stuffing. Making sure you get it in the cases within 30 mins max. After you get it stuffed allow it lounge around uncovered in the ice box for day or two moving them around a bit so they all get some air. Also dumping off any liquid which might ooze out of em and accumulate on the bottom. Ideal hot smoking temp is 175 but wouldnt argue on 180 that close enough for guv'ment work. Bring to internal of the low 150's. 153 works well. In addition to the lump you will need some chunks or chips of good smoking wood. Lump dont put out enough smoke by itself. Good luck.

bigwheel
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:54 pm

This is a pretty simple recipe that uses hamburger. Claims to make it's own casing as it cooks...we'll see.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:18 pm

Ok...seen those type recipes. Seems like I even made some a few times. Bet it be some good grazings. You can also use old Charlie Knote's technique of forming up some sausage sized logs in saran wrap and cook em about an hour...then take em out of the heat and let em sit for half an hour to cool and reabsorb some of the juice..then get rid of the saran total and finish cooking. That works purty good too for a caseless sausage. Under that scenario it prob wouldnt hurt to go ahead and add the cure and let the meat set in the icebox a day or two afore you formed the logs. Its trying to get the cured meat through the stuffer which is the big problemo. It sorta turns itself into Portland cement once the cure sets.

bigwheel

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”