the most Delicious bbq in the world (the moroccan bbq)

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: the most Delicious bbq in the world (the moroccan bbq)

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:08 pm

hmmmm, Cabrito on a stick - - - - uuuuuuuuubetcha :tup: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:26 pm

I would probably be the oddball and use lamb, goat and beef! I love lamb! When I got to travel around Croatia and Hungary, there were many small convenience store type places that would have whole lambs roasting over a fire out back and offering sandwiches and local beer for sale. These were wonderfully delicious. I also certainly enjoy using many of the same spices you use in dishes in your country; turmeric, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, paprika. Normally in smaller amounts though. :laughing7:
(Insert witty signature here)
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:37 pm

Txdragon , you would like curries then if you like those spices. I do a nice lamb and silver beet curry. Will take a pic when I make my next one. I love all spices, I also make a lamb tagine. I've got to preserve some lemons for next Moroccan meal I make.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Txdragon , you would like curries then if you like those spices. I do a nice lamb and silver beet curry. Will take a pic when I make my next one. I love all spices, I also make a lamb tagine. I've got to preserve some lemons for next Moroccan meal I make.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:50 pm

Yes, I am a curry fan!
(Insert witty signature here)
maydog USER_AVATAR
Maydog
Pilgrim

Postby Maydog » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:43 am

Man, I love grilled lamb and the best grilled lamb I've ever had was in Morocco. I grill it myself nowadays, but like everything else I make more than once, I have my own variation.

I live in the Holy Land, and I invited a local Arab-Palestinian guy (Khalil) over. He asked what I was cooking. I told him "bbq kharouf" (grilled lamb). He asked how I was cooking it, so I told him I would cut the lamb into 1" chunks, then marinate them in olive oil, rosemary, and salt. Then I'd grill the chunks on skewers over citrus wood charcoal. He said, "No that's wrong." (Most Palestinians have exactly one way of doing things and aren't big on change :roll: .) I said, "Listen up, Junior. If you don't want to eat it, I'll eat your portion. Just stand back and I'll take care of this."

When he tried it, he smiled and said "Very nice." More importantly, he asked for seconds. The next time we got together he asked me to make it again. When he showed up, he had 4 skewers of nothing but salted lamb fat. No meat at all. He cooked them on the grill until they were nice and browned, then offered me one. I only tried it to be polite, but WOW. Now, I love me some lamb fat kebabs, and I don't throw away any lamb fat.
18.5" Weber Smoky Mountain
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:31 pm

Hi Conan, I cook Moroccan every now and then, I posted about preserved lemons I bought recently for my next meal. Here in nz we use lamb all the time. I've also used a tagine as my wife bought me one. I've also cooked goat a few times, my go to spices are cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, fennel seeds.
Pics look real good. Only thing I'd add would be red onion to the kebabs.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”