Summer Sausage on the cheap w/link to pics

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Summer Sausage on the cheap w/link to pics

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:53 pm

Don't know if this will turn out but it's a cheap experiment. King Soopers had their 91% burger on sale at 1.85/chub. So, thought I try something I saw on net. Kinda of conglomeration of several such recipees.

Took a level tablespoon of Tenderquick and put it in a glass bowl. To that I added 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds (out of the yeller ones), 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. Then I added 1/4 cup of good old H20. Mixed it up good then added the ground beef.

Next I scrubbed by hands like a surgon would and commenced to mixing it all up using the squishy finger technique (as opposed to the swishy..never mind).

Now I got this all nice and mixed up. Wash hands again 'cause I forgot to get some plastic wrap laid out before I squished the meat. :roll: Cut me a good long piece of that stuff and put the meat on it, forming into a log all the while pressing it to get rid of any air bubbles. Once wrapped gathered the ends and rotated the middle to create a nice log. Then wrapped that in plasitic wrap again and stuck in a gallon freeze bag and put it in the fridge.

Suppose in a day or two I'll cook it up. If it gets cold out side I'll use Einstein and smoke at 175 to 180 until internal gets to 160? Think that's what I read but will doulble check. If it stays warm, might use the oven.
Last edited by DATsBBQ on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:01 pm

Dats I've done that before and flavor was pretty good but I oversmoked/overcooked it. I thought I had to get it to the 160 170 region and ya don't wanna do dat. Prolly 150 is good. That was way back in the Bandera days when I really didn't have good temp control either. Einstein should work wonderful.
Let us know how it turns out.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:27 pm

Dittos to whut Papa say. Low 150's be just fine for a terminal temp. Kindly keep us posted on how it turns out.

bigwheel
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Yes, inquiring minds....
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:19 pm

Summer Sausage turned pretty good. Think I'd add more pepper next time. The black mustard seeds turned yellow during the cure :shock:
Photos at:
http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/CookLogs/SS120707.html
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:57 pm

Looks excellent. That salty flavor make a person want to drink mo beer. Purty good rule of thumb for about any kinda ground meat is 1 1/2 t. of salt or TQ per pound of meat. Can go as low as 1 t. per lb if you on some kinda restricted salt diet deal. Now I'm hongry. Good job.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:49 pm

Yeah that looks great Dats..... I didn't think of it before but 1T TQ is a bit much for 1 lb. of meat. What BW suggests is probably more in line. I'm gonna have to give this one a shot as I recall I put some whole peppercorns in mine.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:30 am

I just went by the instructions on the bag (1TB per pound of meat), but the Mrs says it good and not too salty...she doesn't like salt. But I think I'll back the Tender Quick to may 2 teaspoon next time.
Deputy Dave

dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:14 am

Looks Xcellent and an Xcellent idea!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:52 am

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. Recipe printed to try during Christmas week......(or before)
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:13 am

Those look good. :D
Maybe I missed it but did you just use the TenderQuick or was there also salt in the recipe?
After seeing these, I want to try to make some. :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:26 am

OSD wrote:Those look good. :D
Maybe I missed it but did you just use the TenderQuick or was there also salt in the recipe?
After seeing these, I want to try to make some. :D

Just Tender quick, pepper, mustard seed, onion powder and garlic powder.
Deputy Dave

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:41 pm

That page just got bookmarked!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:53 pm

Dats, looking good, all but the snow.
That is a must try, I guess it would work with other meat as well? Maybe deer meat? That is if I had some. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Would work great with deer meat if you mixed it at least 50/50 with untrimmed butts. Preferably 60/40 in favor of the hawg. Recall vividly a great pal o mine who had been an Albertson's butcher for 30 yrs (he now got a real job as the the Adams Spice man) who had a bunch of pals who was all dedicated Bambi slayers. They decided one year to pool all their deer meat and make sausage. I kept on telling him how to do it..but did he listen to uncle bigwheel? No. They wound up grinding and stuffing about 200 lbs of venison with two butts for the fat ration. Yeppers..they wound up feeding it to the dawgs. Some folks have to learn stuff the hard way. Apparently Albertsons butchers dont make much sausage. Thats why you cant buy no guts at Albertsons:)

bigwheel

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”