Whole Goat

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TXpeanut
Pilgrim

Whole Goat

Postby TXpeanut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:36 pm

Howdy
I plan on doing my second goat roast in a couple weeks. Last time I used a simple marinade but I would like to branch out this year and throw it on a smoker. I usually get the goat from Hayes Farm in Mansfield TX, it wasn't cabrito but tasted good last year (especially the leftovers I made chili with). So what would be the best wood to smoke with? Also where have you guys gotten whole goats to roast in Texas? It seems to be very hard to find were I am.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Whole Goat

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:54 pm

First of all Welcome and secondly unless a Member in your area responds to this post, I would imagine that the best place to "get your goat" would be google, craigslist or local meat market might be able to point you in the right direction. - - - - Only time I've ever done a whole "Cabrito" was on the Deer camp (don't ask where we got the Goat, OK? :dont: ) - - - We injected it slow smoked it and basted all during the Cook. To me it tasted just like a young Bambi would have if done the same way. :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:03 pm

I've cooked goat a few times, best bit of advice.....hang it for at least 3 or 4 days. Let the meat set. I've used mine for curries.

Good luck
Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Call Matt Hamilton at Local Yocal in McKinney. He has a lot of farm fresh suppliers, and might know a "goat pimp" :P

Matt gets me great whole hogs and supplies a lot of quinceneras, so it's worth a shot.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:54 pm

?GP? :laughing7: :D :lol: :laughing7: :D :lol: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
TXpeanut
Pilgrim

Postby TXpeanut » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:45 am

OldUsedParts wrote:First of all Welcome and secondly unless a Member in your area responds to this post, I would imagine that the best place to "get your goat" would be google, craigslist or local meat market might be able to point you in the right direction. - - - - Only time I've ever done a whole "Cabrito" was on the Deer camp (don't ask where we got the Goat, OK? :dont: ) - - - We injected it slow smoked it and basted all during the Cook. To me it tasted just like a young Bambi would have if done the same way. :laughing7:

Thanks this sounds good. I was thinking of brining first and using some hickory and mesquite. What did you baste with?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:44 am

Truth be known, "what ever we had at the Deer Camp" :laughing7: - - -When "nameless" came dragging that Goat in, we needed a quick plan so more than likely it was a combination of butter, italian dressing/Cooking Oil , what ever BBQ sauce that might have been there, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt and Gawd knows what else (OH, definitely some beer)

Don't quote me on this but I'm thinking that we even laid bacon strips over it during the cook but I can't recall if it was at the beginning or end :dont: - - - Basically,, just anything that tastes good and prevents drying during the slow cook. :roll: :drunk:

I think your brining is a great idea :tup: :salut: :cheers:

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”