Portugese Linguca Sausage Recipe (ping Honu)

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bigwheel
Outlaw

Portugese Linguca Sausage Recipe (ping Honu)

Postby bigwheel » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:59 pm

This is sort of a long story..but this recipe comes to us courtesy of an email from a Hiwayan resident named Bill Martin (he used to live in Texas but was such an *sshole he got deported.) Who is neighbors with an elderly Portugese lady who he claims makes the best Linguica which ever been seen on earth. This is her recipe as passed on through him. Was hoping Honu take a look at it and see if it seems authentic enough for guv'ment work.

bigwheel

>Bill Martin said this

OK.... I just called my Portuguese neighbor,... and because I was so
nice about sharing my pulled pork, she graciously gave me her
recipe....

I don't know what all the fuss was about..... it seems pretty simple to
me.

8-10 Lbs Pork Butt Cubed or ground (hers is kinda chunky)
5 lbs Pork Fat Cubed or ground
6 Tbls Rock Salt
3 Tbls Garlic Powder or, better, she says: lots of fresh, crushed and
minced Garlic
2 Tbls Fresh, Minced chile peppers or Cayenne. She stressed that she
uses HEAPING tablespoons.
3 Tbls Sweet Paprika.

Mix all this in a big bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight
Put through grinder and stuff casings.

Smoke sausages for one day over low fire. Her husband does this part,
with a shed type smoker he's been using for about 40 years, built out
of 2x4's and corrugated roofing. He uses dried Ohia Lehua wood and
Waiwi, (wild guava). The fire is just built between three concrete
blocks formed into a "U" shape, door closed, and he adds a couple
chunks of wood every hour or so. Good stuff.

EAT!

Bill
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Portugese Linguca Sausage Recipe (ping Honu)

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:06 pm

bigwheel wrote:
Smoke sausages for one day over low fire. Her husband does this part,
with a shed type smoker he's been using for about 40 years, built out
of 2x4's and corrugated roofing. He uses dried Ohia Lehua wood and
Waiwi, (wild guava).
The fire is just built between three concrete
blocks formed into a "U" shape, door closed, and he adds a couple
chunks of wood every hour or so. Good stuff.

EAT!

Bill

Tell me BW is that just like post oak???

Thanks once again for the great recipes
tarde venientibus ossa....
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Sure it purty similar:) I know they got one tree over there which is some version of mesquite. Maybe thats it.

bigwheel
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:46 pm

That sounds like a lot of fat! Copied it anyway, who knows... Might have to try it one of these days.

James.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Well not only that but where anybody know where to even buy pork fat these days? I would just use butts. Thats plenty fat enough for me. I'm still trying to figger out the Rock Salt angle. Do that melt and give little pockets of salt or something? Portugese aint normally noted for being the most highly intelligent folks around. Know an old Navy pal who said when you docked in the Phillipines it be a good idear not to follow the Portugese Navy too closely cuz all the working ladies sure to have a bad dose of the clap..whutever that is. Must be some kind of old nautical terminology.

bigwheel
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:12 pm

LOL... I did wonder about the rock salt... think I would sub a suitable amount of coarse kosher on that deal...

James.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:45 pm

Ok just remember once it goes 24 hrs. without being reblessed by the Rabbi it aint Kosher no mo. Works thataway with refrigerated swinging beef anyway. Cant imagine why salt be any different.

bigwheel
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:56 pm

Well, not that I really care about the kosherality of the salt... It do say Kosher on the box I got. Ain't that false advertising then? :shock:

James.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:17 pm

Well it aint whut they say on the carton..it whut they dont say. Next time you want to use Kosher salt swing by the Rabbi's house. Cost you only about 25 bucks to get it re-Koshered. Now on the swinging beef they have to come out to the scene on the big Highway. Cost a coupla hundred plust mileage etc. *od dont work cheap ya know?

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:07 pm

I'd think it darn important ta have freshly koshered salt in your pork sausage. Wonder what the procedure would be ta get some spares koshered for competition?
tarde venientibus ossa....
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:52 pm

This is thread is starting to get too far off base. Kosher food has nothing to do with blessing the meat, it is a procedure in the way food is processed and animals are killed for consumption. If you want to know about Kosher here is a good place to start.
http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm
My Dad used to buy calves & goats for a packing house that specialized in this. It is something to watch.
PT, pigs are on the forbidden list of animals and almost all salt is Kosher unless it has something added to it like Iodine.
Now let's get back to sausage. :D :D
Jim
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:25 pm

Hey, Bigwheel, PT and James,

How did I miss this thread :roll:. I had just joined the forum and did not know my way around the territory. Now that I found it, the Portugese sausage recipe is fo'real. Ratios of seasonings may be plus or minus. The only thing is that sea salt is used instead of rock salt. Sea salt granules are a bit smaller than rock salt.

Hey Bigwheel you are right on the ball about da Portagee... Lots of people make and poke fun on the Polish we do on the Portagee. :lol: :lol:

The ohia lehua and the waiawi (guava) are hardwood trees that bear fruit. FYI, I just got some guava wood from HI.

My sons make portagee style sausage but they use venison instead of pork. Its good.

a hui hou,
honu41
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu May 22, 2008 8:06 am

Hey Honu..thanks for the clarification on the salt angle. I got some of that coarse grind sea salt in the cabinet as we speak...just aint figgered out whut to do with it. Now I know.

bigwheel
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:40 am

Aloha kakahiaka (good morning) BW,

I use sea salt alot. At any given moment I have at least 2 or 3 lbs of that stuff in the cupboard. Use in place of regular table salt in stews and soups. Since it is a larger granule give it a chance to dissolve then adjust accordingly.

I like to "make" my own rubs and substitue sea salt for reg salt. I also buy salt/sodium free spice mixes and add sea salt to my "taste" and requirement because of my hypertension.

Also when grilling steaks, pork, fish or chicken "local style" (s & p) I use sea salt. Seasoning AFTER grilling, sea salt gives a little but tasty crunch.

Growing up in HI, we used to harvest sea salt on the rocky (without sand)shores. In the heat of summers, we would find very small depressions in the rock where the seawater had evaporated and with teaspoons scoop it out. It would still be wet so additional drying at home was needed.

You can get use sea in almost anything... :)

a hui hou,
honu41
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu May 22, 2008 7:26 pm

Well we have the fine grind sea salt which we use instead of regular salt on everything. Sounds like some great nostalgia on them childhood salt hunting adventures. Seems like we went hunting for moonshine a time or two trying to figger out where that outlaw uncle by marriage had hid it. It was just laid out in the furrows on plowed ground one time. Figger he thought the Sheriff was n'route or something.

bigwheel

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”