Dumplings.....yes please

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Dumplings.....yes please

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:14 pm

Boots, ol tunder is going to be spoilt, fine woodwork too by the look. You have a nice yard, I've only got a garage and a wee shed my wife has taken over for her gardening pleasure. She even wants power in there now,lol. My mix is all made up and waiting on my daughter to arrive and we start assembling.
Btw, sidetracks are welcome here, I enjoy learning from you guys,and sailor, ma'am,lol

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:20 pm

Dumplings are quite different in various areas and cultures. I am of Volga German heritage so what we call dumplings are a bit different.
Spaetzle is very common and is simply a flour, egg, salt and pepper dough passed through a sieve into boiling water kind of a fat short noodle.
Soup dumplings are the same dough spooned into the hot soup.
Filled dumplings are maultaschen (pockets) or seckel (sacks) these again are a simple egg noodle dough made a little thicker and rolled out. they can be filled with many things but most often with case (milk curd) or fruit with the most common fruit being schwartzbera. Schwartzbera are the berries of black nightshade and while that may sound alarming they are not poisonous but make sure you have the right ones delicious.
The maultaschen are dropped in boiling water and like the spaetzle when they float are fished out. Then they are often sauteed in butter to slightly brown then plated, sweet or sour cream is then added to the remaining butter and heated mixed and drizzled over the maultaschen.
Great stuff.
tarde venientibus ossa....
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Dumplings are quite different in various areas and cultures. I am of Volga German heritage so what we call dumplings are a bit different.
Spaetzle is very common and is simply a flour, egg, salt and pepper dough passed through a sieve into boiling water kind of a fat short noodle.
Filled dumplings are maultaschen (pockets) or seckel (sacks) these again are a simple egg noodle dough made a little thicker and rolled out. they can be filled with many things but most often with case (milk curd) or fruit with the most common fruit being schwartzbera. Schwartzbera are the berries of black nightshade and while that may sound alarming they are not poisonous but make sure you have the right ones delicious.
The maultaschen are dropped in boiling water and like the spaetzle when they float are fished out. Then they are often sauteed in butter to slightly brown then plated, sweet or sour cream is then added to the remaining butter and heated mixed and drizzled over the maultaschen.
Great stuff.

I'm gunna giggle some of those things, they sound good, I don't know much about German food but I'm gunna try to learn some. I was in the top clas at high school so I studied German and French for 2 years so I still remember some stuff. I went to paris about 15 years ago and couldn't believe how much I could read in restaurants etc. I love learning stuff. Thanks papa Tom.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:43 pm

So we loved these wee morsels last night, kids loved making their own, one of the grandkids ate 15 of them, I loved the prawn and pork ones. Kids loved the chicken ones.
Few pics.
image.jpg

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:47 pm

They also call these pot stickers, you fry the base until you get a bit of bark, then you put 1/2 cup water in pan and cover and cook for 4 minutes. My daughter served with Korean BBQ sauce , a very hot chilly sauce and another Korean sauce. These were awesome ans we will be doing this again. The roast beef sammiches were awesome as well, but kids were full on their dumplings. I loved using my mincer to make the fillings.
image.jpg

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:48 pm

are those already cooked, Pard, and how do you cook them once they're made ?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:55 pm

The pic is pre cook, fry the base for a minute or two, then add small amount of water and cover and cook for 4 minutes, simple as. Tasted real nice. My son buys these off one of his neighbours for $12 a dozen, we worked it out they cost around $1.50 to make for a dozen.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:03 pm

reminds me of the Asian Dumplins around here and sometimes they are good and ?well you know? :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Well I will tell you how good these are, my wife and d.i.l are fussy eaters, both don't like the texture of pasta much, BUT they both ate around 10 of these, they both loved the chicken dumplings , filling was minced chicken, ginger, garlic, chilly,spring onion,fish sauce oyster sauce,sugar. These were a huge hit. Kids really loved the hands on making their own. My filling was the same except pork n prawn used.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Our granddaughter , rising 8yo said she should make these to make some money, it's the school holidays here now, 2 weeks off. I like her enterprising mind,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:15 pm

very sharp kid, now if she can get Y'all to buy the materials and she still gets the sales profit she should come to the States and run for office :laughing7:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:59 pm

[quote="OldUsedParts"]very sharp kid, now if she can get Y'all to buy the materials and she still gets the sales profit she should come to the States and run for office :laughing7:[/quote

Lol, that's funny, she is really funny is our Isla, she has asked her dad to buy some wrappers, 50 for $1.50
I'm waiting on her to ask me to do the filling,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:57 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Dumplings are quite different in various areas and cultures. I am of Volga German heritage so what we call dumplings are a bit different.
Great stuff.

I giggled these, I liked the spaetzle , very similar to ones I made. The Seckel came up as a disease,lmao. Thanks for sharing something from your heritage.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Russ wrote:
Great stuff.

I giggled these, I liked the spaetzle , very similar to ones I made. The Seckel came up as a disease,lmao. Thanks for sharing something from your heritage.

Russ

Yeah the Volga Germans left Germany in the mid 1700s for Russia cloistered there for about 100 years then began migrating to America (both north and south) so they have a distinct dialect especially with foods as families created their own naming for foods that were otherwise common. For instance in my family maultaschen were never seckel. Grebble that I love has more recipes and spellings than anything yet it is simply fried sweet bread dough.
tarde venientibus ossa....
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
Russ wrote:
Great stuff.

Russ

Yeah the Volga Germans left Germany in the mid 1700s for Russia cloistered there for about 100 years then began migrating to America (both north and south) so they have a distinct dialect especially with foods as families created their own naming for foods that were otherwise common. For instance in my family maultaschen were never seckel. Grebble that I love has more recipes and spellings than anything yet it is simply fried sweet bread dough.

I will look up this as well, thanks, my friend makes pickled red cabbage which I love, I believe he said it is German of origin??
Btw I love fried bread, or even naan bread.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”