Dumplings.....yes please

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Dumplings.....yes please

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:03 pm

So we have dinner here every Sunday night, I cook for our kids and the grand kids. My daughter thought she would take pressure off me tonight so she said she would make dumplings with the grand kids making their own under her supervision. They are making chicken, pork, and I am doing pork and prawn for me and one of the grand kids. Eli and I are the only seafood guys in my family. I've also done a roll of roast beef which we will have as hot sammiches. It's slow cooking now. I've just minced up the meat with my own mincer. Pics to follow.
Prawn mixture is prawn pork garlic spring onions ginger oyster sauce fish sauce and ketchup manis. Don't know what daughters putting in hers. We buy packs of won ton wrappers and fill these with meat. Looking forward to dinner.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Dumplings.....yes please

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:20 pm

looking forward to what Y'all call Dumplings, Pard, need pics and pics and pics, OK??? :laughing7: :D :lol:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Prawn n pork mixture

image.jpg

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:21 pm

So yer talkin dumplings in terms of a meat filled noodle like an oriental dumpling right? Just clarifying as we Texans, and a lot of Southerners and Westerners generally for that matter, can get this confused with the doughy pastry type dumplings made here in a poultry based gravy. Think of it like chicken pot pie but without the crust and with a doughy bunch of biscuits swimming around in a brother gravy. This is a southern US staple food by the way, second only to fried chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, and some kind of sprout, most likely stewed or steamed collard greens or mustard greens with bacon and common for Sunday dinner, which always occurs at noon time and is considered the most important meal of the week for families . Supper is the evening meal, dinner is always a noontime type of affair.
Last edited by Boots on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:22 pm

And beef slow cooking.

image.jpg

Looking good and smelling even better.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Boots wrote:So yer talkin dumplings in terms of a meat filled noodle like an oriental dumpling right? Just clarifying as we Texans, and a lot of Southerners and Westerners generally for that matter, can get this confused with the doughy pastry type dumplings made here in a poultry based gravy. Think of it like chicken pot pie but without the crust and with a doughy bunch of biscuits swimming around in a brother gravy. This is a southern US staple food by the way, second only to fried chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, and some kind of sprout, most likely stewed or steamed collard greens or mustard greens with bacon and common for Sunday dinner, which always occurs at noon time and is considered the most important meal of the week for families . Supper is the evening meal, dinner is always a noontime type of affair.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what HE said :laughing7: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:24 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:looking forward to what Y'all call Dumplings, Pard, need pics and pics and pics, OK??? :laughing7: :D :lol:

They are coming oup. 3 hrs to dinner yet,lol, yes they are Chinese style, I'm frying mine to get some bark then adding water and covering to get the steam to finish them.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:27 pm

[*]Ach, now yer just playing dirty. Might I offer up a companion to yer dumplings and beast?

We had bistro steaks and beef ribs tonight.
Attachments
IMG_0700.JPG
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:30 pm

Boots wrote:So yer talkin dumplings in terms of a meat filled noodle like an oriental dumpling right? Just clarifying as we Texans, and a lot of Southerners and Westerners generally for that matter, can get this confused with the doughy pastry type dumplings made here in a poultry based gravy. Think of it like chicken pot pie but without the crust and with a doughy bunch of biscuits swimming around in a brother gravy. This is a southern US staple food by the way, second only to fried chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, and some kind of sprout, most likely stewed or steamed collard greens or mustard greens with bacon and common for Sunday dinner, which always occurs at noon time and is considered the most important meal of the week for families . Supper is the evening meal, dinner is always a noontime type of affair.

We call a meal at midday lunch and meal at night dinner, a bit different from you guys I guess, and yip it's a won ton wrapper bought in packs of 50 so no fiddle mixing. You will see when I post pics later. Served with dipping sauces. We love all food from all countries. I cook Texan, Indian, Italian, Chinese and a few others. I just love food and who you meet and talking about food. I love sharing and learning, that's why I'm here.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:31 pm

And you 2 being horseman yourselves, I thought I might offer up some photos of my barn project here at the farm, which is now an advanced work in process. Built out the stalls and all the fencing myself. I am no good at electrical but it least I can do woodwork. Kind of proud of the thing, when ol Tunder retires this is his retirement home.
Attachments
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0706.JPG
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:38 pm

I do love those pork filled won tons myself, with the good soy sauce. You guys have the advantage over us on deep water seafood, the best kind. The Gulf next to Texas is so shallow you could almost walk across it; it would be near useless if not fer brown shrimp and all the oil we pump out of it.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Very nice indeed - - - I really like the "solid" structure so there's less places for nicks, cuts and problems - - - - you gonna put anything along the top for possible "Cribbers" :?:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:44 pm

Hey Parts, while we're just spitballing around different topics here and with you being a former slinger of hot iron, why is it that a lot of farriers here in Texas are so wedded to low heel shoeing, while the mountain guys up in Wyoming to Montana leave in so much heel? Way too many people round here have navicular issues, and I think low heel shoeing is a contributing factor. Not saying I know better, just wondering the question.

Russ, sorry to swerve off topic.
Last edited by Boots on Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Tunder never cribbed because we always make sure he gets tons of turn out so no issue. Plus I built the fronts out of all cedar. Like the look and smell, and the old nags don't like the taste.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:50 pm

:tup: - - - :salut:

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”