Fallow deer eye fillet steak

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Fallow deer eye fillet steak

Postby Russ » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:03 pm

My wife works in a boys hostel where the boys are mainly from country areas, one of the boys gave her an eye fillet of fallow deer. I know I can giggle it but I'd like the opinions from likes of parts? Who may have cooked it. I've had venison cooked by a friend of mine on the west coast, hot and quick was his advice, so I've never had it since he cooked it. My son is a big fan of venison so I've decided to give it to him. Should I keep some for myself ? And how would you cook it??

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Fallow deer eye fillet steak

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Well Pard, thanks for the confidence and indeed I have smoked, bbq'd, grilled, baked and fried my share of Bambi Meat but there are lots of Members here that have done the same. Bottom Line is that it will get dry and very quickly if you don't watch out, especially those free-lays so grill them like you would a good steak and definitely keep some for yourself. If they are thin sliced, you might consider just frying them. :dont:

My favorite venison recipe is plain ol floured and fried tenderloin or backstrap as we call it with some cream gravy. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:56 pm

One thing more I might add is this. The taste of Venison starts when the hunter picks it up in the field. If he or she doesn't do the right thing then that's where the bad venison, that you hear people speak of, comes from. :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:11 pm

The young guy comes from a hunting family, so it would have been treated with the most respect. I'm retaining 2 big steaks for myself.thanks for the reply.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:19 pm

maybe some others will chime in also - - - - just remember Rare or Medium Rare or you're talking shoe leather :roll:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Deep fried
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:39 am

Rambo wrote:Deep fried

N
It will,get a very hot seal on the BBQ, I can assure you, now just to trick the wife into saying its beef.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:08 am

Just keep something for u, make it Sous Vide and put it on the superhot Grill for 1 Minute and u will have one of ur best foods ever

Hirsch2015.jpg
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:23 am

Russ wrote:
Rambo wrote:Deep fried
It will,get a very hot seal on the BBQ, I can assure you, now just to trick the wife into saying its beef. Russ

"Free Range Beef" :laughing7: :lol: :D
One more thing, if I may, Pard ? If you do these on the Grill with a fast sear, you might consider a light massaging with Italian Dressing just prior to the Grill :tup:

You're making me crave some Bambi - - - it has been quite a while since I harvested any or had any period. :(
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:26 am

Too hot right now Em and they're milking babies. My little one came and laid down in the yard the other afternoon.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:31 am

Yuppers, I agree - however, my harvesting days are a thing of the past - - - - even ol big boy would only get the camera lens from me now.

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”