WSM smoker

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Ray in Kingwood
Pilgrim

WSM smoker

Postby Ray in Kingwood » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:37 pm

I wanted to try and make jerky on my weber smoker. Do you guys think the heat is too high? I have been able to get it stable at 210 but thats as low as I ever got it to go.....
Ray from.....
KingwoodKorner.com
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Technically you are to dry jerky not cook it so in that respect 210 is too high. But IMHO I'll bet it turns out fine as long as you don't overcook it. Maybe sand in the pan and center the meat.
tarde venientibus ossa....
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:45 am

I've been able to smoke cheese in my WSM as low as 80°. Fewer coals, smaller fire... You may have to add coals during, but it can be done.

I would also use sand in the pan, covered by a sheet or two of HD foil. I would think that using water when trying to make jerky would be self defeating.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:53 am

Like Papa say..making Jerky is a dehydration process..resembles cooking somewhut..but once the temps break 140 it might tase ok but it aint jerky. Yankees dont understand this kinda stuff. Oven door cracked open till the furst notch and set as low as it will go will resemble 140. You can also make it with a box fan if you keep the flies off of it. You dont want to eat jerky and bump into a maggot ya know? You also need the propa marinade. Which yankees got all kinds. I got the real one. Let me know.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:35 pm

JamesB wrote:I've been able to smoke cheese in my WSM as low as 80°. Fewer coals, smaller fire... You may have to add coals during, but it can be done.

I would also use sand in the pan, covered by a sheet or two of HD foil. I would think that using water when trying to make jerky would be self defeating.

Bet ya can't do 80* today without hookin' up the AC...... :)
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Add just a wee amount of liquid smoke to the marinade, then plug in the food dehydrator (things are cheap at any box store). Works like a champ.
Last edited by DATsBBQ on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:34 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
JamesB wrote:I've been able to smoke cheese in my WSM as low as 80°. Fewer coals, smaller fire... You may have to add coals during, but it can be done.

Bet ya can't do 80* today without hookin' up the AC...... :)

Sure I could, but I'd have to use water and some ice instead of sand and maybe a smallish fan... Oh and no charcoal! :lol:
dinty USER_AVATAR
dinty
Pilgrim

Postby dinty » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:05 pm

did anyone see the episode on food network where Alton used AC filters tied to a box fan to dry his jerky? That was a cool episode..
WSM
CharBroil Silver Smoker
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:52 pm

Yep saw that one good idea...
Pig Grinder
Pilgrim

Re: WSM smoker

Postby Pig Grinder » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 am

I made jerky last week on 22.5 WSM. I use a recipe that includes CURE. I have kept it in a bowl on counter for 6 weeks with no spoilage. I laid a stream of charcoal about 8 inches wide across the entire diagonal of the grate. I lit a 1/3 chimney of charcoal and poured it on the charcoal at one end. I used severaal wood chunks for flavor. I use a Pitmaster IQ 120 controller. Closed 2 vents and set IQ120 for 150 degrees which is the minimum setting. Used empty water pan, I do not even wrap pan. I cooked 5 1/2 hours and temp stayed mostly at 140-145, never exceeded 150.

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”