Andouille

Lamb, goat, wild game, sausage, any other meats.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jlabolt USER_AVATAR
jlabolt
Rustler

Andouille

Postby jlabolt » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Really getting into the Cajun cooking for the past year or so. Wondering if anyone has a great Andouille recipe.
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:48 pm

I have not made this, but I saved it from somewhere because I thought it looked good. This recipe calls for Non-Fat Powdered Milk to be used as a binder, but I was told once by a fella that if you just double grind it, you can get away with out using anything for a binder...

===============================
Andouille Sausage Recipe

5# Pork (I prefer a Boston Butt) Trimmed of tough connective tissue and cut into 2 inch cubes.

Combine the following in a bowl:
2 tsp of Cayenne or to taste (Remember, if you make it too hot, every dish you make with it will be too hot! Start off with a little, you can add more after you taste the finished seasoning)
1 Tbsp Paprika
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Garlic
1/8 Cup Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 healthy pinch of Prague Powder#1 (see note) (optional)
1/2 Cup Ice Water

Toss this mixture with the meat, making sure it is well coated. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 days.

**Note - Prague Powder#1 is used for wet curing meats, to retain color and freshness. It is a ratio of 16 oz. salt to 1 ounce sodium nitrate.

Chop half of the meat into 1/4 inch pieces and grind the other half with a coarse grinding plate. Mix the two together with:

1/8 Cup Non-Fat Powdered Milk (this is a binder)

Stuff the sausage into prepared Hog Casings (Beef middle casings if you can find them). Here is my method of Linking Sausage.

Tie each sausage link with kitchen string to make a loop for hanging. Hang uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. This step is to let the casings dry out to allow smoke absorption, very important.

I smoked this in an inexpensive upright barrel smoker, with charcoal as the heat source, and unsoaked Pecan chips for the smoke. The sausage was hung beneath the top rack, no water pan.

I smoked this at 130º F for 2 hours, then increased the heat to 165 º F for another 2 1/2 hours, refreshing the wood chips as needed. The trick here, is to get as much smoke flavor into the sausage before it is actually cooked through, and too hot of a temperature will render the fat out of your sausage. I controlled the temp by the number of coals, and keeping them piled up and pushed to one side. When you spread your coals out the temperature will increase. I added more coals to reach the 165º mark.

The internal temperature of the sausage should read 155º F on an instant read thermometer. Remove at this point and immediately spray with cold water. Hang at room temperature in front of a fan for 1 hour then refrigerate overnight, uncovered.

Portion and store in vacuum sealed packages in the freezer.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:34 pm

Bigwheel's Genuine Coonass Andouille (Rev 1-8-08)

2 untrimmed Boston Butts (12-14 lbs)
5 lbs. beef chuck or venison
3 lbs. bacon ends and pieces
1 cup fresh minced garlic (from the jar)
1/2 cup coarse black pepper
2 T. garlic powder
2 T. onion powder
1 T. MSG
Morton's Tender Quick *(use at 1 1/2 t. per lb meat)
3 T. dried parsley flakes
4 T. cayenne pepper
3 T. ground Thyme
1 bottle Shiner Bock Beer

Combine all spices with beer and water to equal 1 1/2 quarts of liquid. Chill the spiced liquid while you cut and debone the meat to fit the grinder. Add liquid to meat mixing well. Run meat through coarse grinder plate and mix it up again. Stuff into medium hog guts or beef middle casings and tie into one foot links. Allow links to rest uncovered in the ice box overnight shuffling occasionally so all links get some air. Next day smoke heavy at 175 degrees with oak, pecan, and mesquite to internal temp of 155.

Return to “Other Meat and Sausages”