So frustrated right now.....

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dub'
Cowboy

Re: So frustrated right now.....

Postby dub' » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:05 pm

yeah I go bone side down as well....lumps???[/quote]

Lump charcoal that is. Don't use briquettes unless you abso hafta.
Chix thighs and legs are easier to cook and are often on sale. IMO dark meat tastes mo betta good too than hayracks.
If you do wanna cook birds whole,cut the backbone out and flatten em (called spatchcock or butterflying).
There ain't no law that sez ya can't smoke chicken lo-n-slo!

dub(it's some good pactice for brisket)
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Don't know how you are starting your charcoal, hopefully not using lighter fluid. Would recommend a weed burner torch ( Harbor Freight) or charcoal chimney to get your coals going. Indirect is the way to go on chicken, all the fat will just make for a heck of a fire cooking directly over it, would also try a brine if you get a lil adventurous- makes for a juicy bird. And if you are saucing do not add til the end of the cook, the sugar from the sauce will blacken.
Good luck, :D
Chuck
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
wild_bill83 USER_AVATAR
Wild_Bill83
Wrangler

Postby Wild_Bill83 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:54 am

Davidtxs wrote:
Jusselin wrote:
Griffin wrote:Seems like everybody has already pointed you in the right direction. Cook indirect (not over coals) and get a good thermometer.

Once you get your new pit, you may want to take a day and just play around with it, figuring out how much charcoal/wood you need to get certain heats, how to adjust the level of the heat etc. Maybe throw something cheap on there like chicken pieces, but don't start right out of the gate with a brisket till you figure out how it works and all its quarks.

never cooked a brisket in my life...I am wanting too though.

keep ur lid allllllllllll the way open it wont keep smoke in
and a fireebox makes a helluva grill fo hih eatcontol heat with bottom vents

I didnt understand this at all lol
I really want to thank every one for taking time out to answer my questions. I grew up with out a dad and had no one to teach me this stuff. You are a great help!
wild_bill83 USER_AVATAR
Wild_Bill83
Wrangler

Postby Wild_Bill83 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:57 am

limey wrote:Don't know how you are starting your charcoal, hopefully not using lighter fluid. Would recommend a weed burner torch ( Harbor Freight) or charcoal chimney to get your coals going. Indirect is the way to go on chicken, all the fat will just make for a heck of a fire cooking directly over it, would also try a brine if you get a lil adventurous- makes for a juicy bird. And if you are saucing do not add til the end of the cook, the sugar from the sauce will blacken.
Chuck

whats a brine...i Keep hearing about it.
I really want to thank every one for taking time out to answer my questions. I grew up with out a dad and had no one to teach me this stuff. You are a great help!
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:48 am

Jusselin wrote:
limey wrote:Don't know how you are starting your charcoal, hopefully not using lighter fluid. Would recommend a weed burner torch ( Harbor Freight) or charcoal chimney to get your coals going. Indirect is the way to go on chicken, all the fat will just make for a heck of a fire cooking directly over it, would also try a brine if you get a lil adventurous- makes for a juicy bird. And if you are saucing do not add til the end of the cook, the sugar from the sauce will blacken.
Chuck

whats a brine...i Keep hearing about it.

A brine is a sugar/saltwater mixture that you can "brine" (soak) your meat in for x amount of hours. Chicken is the most popular meat to brine, but others brine pork as well. You will end up with a VERY juicy piece of meat in the end. Search the forum for brine recipes/times and you will come up with plenty to try.
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:27 am

Try it with a fresh ham as well sometime, works great. I brined mine for about 2 days then slowed smoked in a light way using hickory and a mustard honey brown sugar based glaze. Family ate it up.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
wild_bill83 USER_AVATAR
Wild_Bill83
Wrangler

Postby Wild_Bill83 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks guys...you have been a big help!
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:43 am

Tried direct-heat chicken once. Never again. Can you say black on the outside, raw on the inside? The only direct chicken we do now is boneless skinless chicken breasts, oiled and rubbed, thick part slashed, taken off while still a bit pink and allowed to rest.

My favorite indirect method is stuffed on a beer can, lol.

Lots of great info here!
Moink!
wild_bill83 USER_AVATAR
Wild_Bill83
Wrangler

Postby Wild_Bill83 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 am

=]

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”