small scale Barrister Brisket

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

small scale Barrister Brisket

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Decided to do a small brisket on the Pellet Pooper using some of the things that Counselor did on Sunday. The final results were "tender with perfect flavor" :tup: HOWEVER, being a very very lean cut, it was too dry for my taste BUT the wiffy said it was the best lunch she'd had
in a long long time. :dont: I'll bet the drip bucket didn't have a tblsp of grease in it. :roll:

When I went to the shop at 5AM to get the Pit Boss ready to start cooking, the Pellet Patrol Puss was looking at me with those eyes that say "Do you have any idea what time it is?"
BarristerBrisket1.jpg
BarristerBrisket2.jpg

While the Pit Boss was starting up and getting ready I got the "tiny" brisket ready with some homemade rub - - - it had been marinating in Honey Mustard all night so the rub stuck very nicely.
BarristerBrisket3.jpg

6AM - - cats are fed and Pellet Pooper is ready for the challenge.
BarristerBrisket4.jpg

low and slow on either side of 225 for 5 hours then a brown bag wrap (thanks Capt'n)
BarristerBrisket5.jpg

back on at 250 - 300 for 2 and half more smoke filled hours then pulled, rested and sliced
BarristerBrisket6.jpg

plated with some brussel sprouts and taters
BarristerBrisket7.jpg
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: small scale Barrister Brisket

Postby TX1911 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Barrister brisket. I like it!

I'd eat it too!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:59 pm

OUP starting to get the brisket thin down. Glad to hear you're still going after it.

I've never marinated one so I don't know what that would do to a brisket.

Sounds to me like if you do a full packer now you'll have what you like and what the wifey likes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Lol, good stuff oup, your cat is the dead spit of mine, well he's not mine , but he's taken up residence under my decking outside my French doors looking out to my backyard. I call him Soxy because of his white feet. Wife never ackowledged him for a year, now she says , oh there's some leftover meat here, give it to the cat,lol. He appears at my back door at 8.30 every night.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Looks good Sir :salut: Nice color and smoke ring. Did you check the internal temp when you took it off the smoker?
I would recommend injecting a brisky that size just to help keep it moist. Then again I tend to inject 90% of the briskets that I cook 8)

Ric G.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:07 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Looks good Sir :salut: Nice color and smoke ring. Did you check the internal temp when you took it off the smoker?
I would recommend injecting a brisky that size just to help keep it moist. Then again I tend to inject 90% of the briskets that I cook 8)

Ric G.

I was thinking the same thing re: injection.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:41 pm

Excellent plate, Sir! :salut:
Moink!
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Very, very nice!
:D
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:15 pm

TwoGuysBBQ wrote:Looks good Sir :salut: Nice color and smoke ring. Did you check the internal temp when you took it off the smoker?
I would recommend injecting a brisky that size just to help keep it moist. Then again I tend to inject 90% of the briskets that I cook 8) Ric G.

Sir Ric, it was 204 I.T. when I yanked it.

Thanks, Gents, I was totally surprised at the outcome BUT don't know if I'll be doin a'nutter any time soon - - - too much cook time for me - - - :whiteflag: I wouldn't mind injecting one as long as it's not beef broth :dont:

RUSS, Puss's name is Mo Mo aka Domino. When we moved here in 2012 I walked out back around 4:30am one morning with the flashlight just checking things that hadn't gotten put away yet and MO MO (fresh weaned kitten) walked out of the woods starving and scared to death - - - he hadn't been off the teet to long so he jumped on that dry food and the next morning he was waiting on me - - - put the food down and rubbed him between the ears and we've been bestest friends ever since.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Nice way to get anew pet,lol. My fella is a bit shy , I haven't patted him yet, I just let him do his thing. He's definitely getting friendlier though. Nice to see him at the window at night.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:09 pm

we have two that come inside and eat and nap but never all night and one old beat up prowling Tom, named Smokey, that you only pet one time and if you're lucky the 'lesson learned' wounds won't bleed that much :laughing7:
down_south USER_AVATAR
Down_South
Wrangler

Postby Down_South » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:51 pm

How smoking a brisket turned into a cat thread is about right 'round my house too (or was). My male cat Jax would always follow me out to Q. He hid on and under the pit cover.

R.I.P. Jax

Mommy and Daddy love you.
~Aaron
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:29 am

that'll work
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:44 am

Down_South wrote:How smoking a brisket turned into a cat thread is about right 'round my house too (or was). My male cat Jax would always follow me out to Q. He hid on and under the pit cover.

R.I.P. Jax

Mommy and Daddy love you.

Lol, our last cat Minnie was an awesome cat, she sat in garden every day around 4.30 when I got home, followed me everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Hurt like heck when we had to put her down, blind , no bowells control. Had her cremated in scattered in the garden she loved to sit in.
Sorry for sidetrack.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:29 am

Good look'in plate of food right there. :cheers: :cheers:

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”