Chillin but not grillin

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Chillin but not grillin

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Mmmm tube steak. Crappy weather again, not to mention I'm broke. At least I have some homemade chili to cover them with.
Attachments
IMG_20170327_184014.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Chillin but not grillin

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:05 pm

I promise you that you are not the only one that's ever "tubed" it until payday :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Been there done that…ain't nothing wrong with it. The families eating and that's what matters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:18 pm

Nothing wrong with dirty water dogs, I used to make my living in a college parking lot for 4 years slingin dirty water dogs ( all beef Sabrettes ) ...
Nothing like a fresh natural casing Sabrette sitting in yellow ( hence dirty water dogs ) water and topped with mustard/kraut, chili & cheese, red onion sauce & mustard, raw onion & relish....So on and so on..

Grrr, now I'm reminiscing good old times towing behind a hotdog cart with the blue and yellow umbrella...

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Justin, if u want, I can give you a few tips that would turn those into mouth watering goodness if you like ?

I've slung ALOT of dwd`s in my day, I'm seasoned lol

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Stick baloney, yep, a staple of my young life and years gone by. Works seared, chopped up, and dropped into the world's other econo foods, red beans and rice, mebbe a little onion for flavor. Working my way thru grad school I survived on stuff like that; I went from a strappin 168 and buff on the way in, came out at about 138 and could close my hand around my biceps and touch my thumb and ring finger. Had to stuff rocks in my pockets on windy days to hold me down.

I remember once, winter of '86, it actually got worse and I couldn't afford stick baloney. I was down to $20 to buy food for a month. Toddled my skinny butt over to the local Albertmart wondering how far I could stretch it, figured it was gonna be the Saltines diet all the way. Rolling down the aisle I see an entire end cap stacked high w Ramen noodles; they had over-ordered for the semester and were sellin 'em 10 fer a buck. I bought a hundo of 'em, all three flavors: Pork, chicken and some other thing I called Unidentified Food Object, cause you couldn't describe the taste with a Webster's dictionary. With the other $10 bucks I bought a couple bags of the SuperCheepee past-date house brand frozen mixed vegetables and a large box of powdered milk, so I wouldn't get dysentery or the rickets.

I ate boiled ramen with freezerburned peas and carrots washed down by watery powdered milk like 2 meals a day for thirty or forty days in a row and made it through. I can't even look at the things in the store ever since.

Now, it wasn't as bad as having to eat C rats in Charlie's rice paddy or goin dumpster diving, I still would have to say I was real lucky, and finally picked up a part time the next month and moved up to beanie weenies again. Funny, I can still eat those but can't look at ramen without a sick sack.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Chillin but not grillin

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Boots wrote:Stick baloney, yep, a staple of my young life and years gone by. Works seared, chopped up, and dropped into the world's other econo foods, red beans and rice, mebbe a little onion for flavor. Working my way thru grad school I survived on stuff like that; I went from a strappin 168 and buff on the way in, came out at about 138 and could close my hand around my biceps and touch my thumb and ring finger. Had to stuff rocks in my pockets on windy days to hold me down.

I remember once, winter of '86, it actually got worse and I couldn't afford stick baloney. I was down to $20 to buy food for a month. Toddled my skinny butt over to the local Albertmart wondering how far I could stretch it, figured it was gonna be the Saltines diet all the way. Rolling down the aisle I see an entire end cap stacked high w Ramen noodles; they had over-ordered for the semester and were sellin 'em 10 fer a buck. I bought a hundo of 'em, all three flavors: Pork, chicken and some other thing I called Unidentified Food Object, cause you couldn't describe the taste with a Webster's dictionary. With the other $10 bucks I bought a couple bags of the SuperCheepee past-date house brand frozen mixed vegetables and a large box of powdered milk, so I wouldn't get dysentery or the rickets.

I ate boiled ramen with freezerburned peas and carrots washed down by watery powdered milk 2 meals a day for thirty days in a row and made it through. I can't even look at the things in the store ever since.

Now, it wasn't as bad as having to eat C rats in Charlie's rice paddy or goin dumpster diving, I still would have to say I was real lucky, and finally picked up a part time the next month and moved up to beanie weenies again. Funny, I can still eat those but can't look at ramen without a sick sack.

Wow man, ur sodium level MUST tower that of Utah's Salt Flats !!

Yup, we do what we have to at the time. Being one of 9, I vaguely remember Mom and Dad scrounging for change to buy water and bread at times.

kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:46 pm

We grew up with nothing as well so cheap was good in our house, I still eat those cheap tubes in a slice of bread with BBQ sauce. Fond memories of cheap food.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Wow man, ur sodium level MUST tower that of Utah's Salt Flats !!

Yup, we do what we have to at the time. Being one of 9, I vaguely remember Mom and Dad scrounging for change to buy water and bread at times.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Yep, but that watery powdered milk helped flush my kidneys, learned about that stuff from my mom who fed it to us when Dad was out on strike two or three times.

My grandad was one of nine too. He and his sister would chase a jack rabbit in relays to wear it out and then hit it with a rock to help put meat on the table. I tell my son that now and he gives me a look like aliens just landed on my head.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Boots wrote:Wow man, ur sodium level MUST tower that of Utah's Salt Flats !!

Yep, but that watery powdered milk helped flush my kidneys, learned about that stuff from my mom who fed it to us when Dad was out on strike two or three times.

My grandad was one of nine too. He and his sister would chase a jack rabbit in relays to wear it out and then hit it with a rock to help put meat on the table. I tell my son that now and he gives me a look like aliens just landed on my head.[/quote]

Lol, great story boots, my wife's from a family of 9 too.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:20 am

To all the above comments :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Postby Williep » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:45 am

Nothing wrong with a good dog every now and then. :cheers:

Pic2.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:32 am

Yesiree, Weener Dawgs are like Chili - - there's leaded and unleaded BUT those ratcher are Super Octane :tup: :salut: :cheers:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:47 am

woodenvisions wrote:Justin, if u want, I can give you a few tips that would turn those into mouth watering goodness if you like ?

I've slung ALOT of dwd`s in my day, I'm seasoned lol

Alright…spill it. We need to know the secrets of the hot dog slingers!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:52 am

I agree, let's hear it ALL. My youngest son's firt wife was from Philly and da'Lady could put some great fixins on a plate, especially in the between da'bun Dept :tup:

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”