"Found" recipe

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

"Found" recipe

Postby castironchris » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:08 am

Boots wrote:See if this looks familiar, if I were doing this, would use Noh brand authentic Hawaiian Barbecue sauce. Spicy variety. Great stuff, really from the islands.

http://therecipecritic.com/2016/05/gril ... q-chicken/

Tried this recipe last night with pork chops instead of chicken (had pork chops but didn't have chicken). Pretty tasty! Didn't season the chops at all just to see how they came out with just the marinade. Added salt and pepper after the cook and then they were just like they needed to be!! I know the wifey will enjoy this one next time I make it!

20170419_210201.jpg
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: "Found" recipe

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:16 am

let's see - - hmmmm ? bacon, jalapenos, cream cheese and dead pig ? - - - I think you're playing with a stacked deck, Chris :laughing7: Seriously, Man, that really looks you know what :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 am

Would have loved to get some more color on the chops but didn't want to dry them out. Tasted..well, you know what... :D :D
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 am

check your P.M.s please :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 am

Sure looks like food to me. You know, those Hawaiians really love that barbecued pig; they have a state championship cook out there on the Big Island in Hilo every year I hear, one of my bucket list things to try and get Yoda and I out there, improvise some kinda cooker, and try and win that thing. Their biggest issue there is fuel; they gotz no real hardwoods as we know them, and all the trees (banyan, eucalyptus, etc) are pretty sappy, even if you can scrounge the wood. They do gotz a sorta Mesquite tree all over the place on the leeward sides of the Islands that is kind of a noxious plant and which they clear off and use a lot, but I hear it literally takes like years to cure out to a point to make good cook wood.

Russ, you got that kinda thing as an issue in Kiwi Country?
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:38 pm

No, we have lots of wood for smoking, our most popular by far is manuka, my friend does eel over it, it's indescribable on here, I try get a pic later from my freezer of the eel. I personally love manuka and wouldn't swap for quids. As the Hilo pig, the best I've had was from a Tongan friend who as I've mentioned did my pig for my 40th, the pole was a green willow pole freshly cut from a river near me. He hand turned the pig and basted with pineapple juice and butter, I used our native rimu timber for the coals. My attempt a couple of months ago was only a 9 , whereas his was a 10. It's the island knowledge I think. Just my thoughts.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:56 pm

you paint a pretty picture, Pard, makes me want to book a flight on something besides United :laughing7:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Always wanted to add Manuka to my arsenal of woods that we work with, love the darker Manuka shade. Reminds me of Macassar Ebony, our go-to choice for woodwork.

Russ, how is Manuka Honey or Oil ??
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:06 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:you paint a pretty picture, Pard, makes me want to book a flight on something besides United :laughing7:

United, spits over screen,lmao.

I was watching CNN ( I watch a lot of news) they said the guy will make a claim, and the courts over your way HATE airlines. Jurors favour on the plaintiff. Love it! Even jurors get screwed by airlines. :D :D

Russ
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Re:

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:10 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Always wanted to add Manuka to my arsenal of woods that we work with, love the darker Manuka shade. Reminds me of Macassar Ebony, our go-to choice for woodwork.

I had some manuka sawdust but wife threw it out in a clean up,grrrrr. Manuka wood is massive for fish as well, although I don't like smoked fish, only eel, and the manuka honey and oil is big here as well for joints etc. I don't use it as I'm pretty near fit enough to be dangerous,lol. Users swear about its healing abilities.

Russ
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Here's something you can relate too. Giggle manuka, lots stuff there.

Russ
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re:

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Kiwiruss wrote:[quote="woodenvisions"]Always wanted to add Manuka to my arsenal of woods that we work with, love the darker Manuka shade. Reminds me of Macassar Ebony, our go-to choice for woodwork.

I had some manuka sawdust but wife threw it out in a clean up,grrrrr. Manuka wood is massive for fish as well, although I don't like smoked fish, only eel, and the manuka honey and oil is big here as well for joints etc. I don't use it as I'm pretty near fit enough to be dangerous,lol. Users swear about its healing abilities.

Russ[/quote]
Lol, ok Rambo settle down LMAO !!!

I believe in the healing properties very much. Alot of the stones/gems we work with have healing properties as well from everything we've read and heard from customers.
On the opposite side of the scale we hear about alot of ( bad stuff ) from some stones and woods. All on the ( dust ) part of it.
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: "Found" recipe

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Kiwiruss wrote:Here's something you can relate too. Giggle manuka, lots stuff there.

Russ
image.jpg

Looks ALOT like varied Cocobolo species I've used.
Beautiful wood to work with, but very risky when it comes to the fine wood dust.Don't breathe any in at all, and suit up good, it's known to cause skin rashes like many exotic woods...
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Chris, sorry for the ( hi-jack )

I get carried away when it comes to ( wood) talk lol
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:35 pm

I posted but it disappeared ??? Wv have you worked with greenstone aka pounamu aka jade, it's found on the west coast of the South Island, I have connections in the mining industry there ( gold) have done for 25 years. I have 2 or 3 large chunks of greenstone in my garden, not quite carving quality, but it looks nice. Giggle hokitika greenstone.

Russ

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”