Chick-speriment

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Chick-speriment

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 22, 2017 4:06 pm

I wanted to see if boneless white meat chicken would respond favorably (ie: NOT come out tough!) to marinating in orange juice, and bathing in yogurt and spices. The scientific validity of this experiment in questionable due to a number of factors:

1. Rain
2. Cold
3. Wind
4. Possibly 'off' gas rig in the form of the poor little Weber Mini-Q
5. Commercial garam masala rather than Russ's far more excellent Tandoori blend which I didn't want to 'waste' on a cold rainy day, skinless boneless breast, and iffy rig

The results: It was tasty. But...no way 'round this...TOUGH. Chewy. A bit dry.

Was it overcooked? Probably. It is so hard to tell when it's done under cold rainy windy conditions.

The lone side was a spinach and couscous dish with a LOT of spices, including cumin, fennel, black mustard seed, curry powder, and turmeric. Came out very good!

If nothing else, this forever settles the question: white meat or dark? ;)

Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Chick-speriment

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 22, 2017 5:20 pm

:dont: Interesting, HOWEVER, even tho my Tandoori came out very dry (my fault) I am still a Breast Man and I'd rather fight than switch :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon May 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Looks ok to me , cous cous, man I think that's the most tasteless side ever, my wife loves it though. She makes it for herself. One of the few things she makes,lol.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Kiwiruss wrote:Looks ok to me , cous cous, man I think that's the most tasteless side ever, my wife loves it though. She makes it for herself. One of the few things she makes,lol.

Russ

Same thing in my house. There ain't enough hot sauce in the fridge to give that stuff flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 22, 2017 6:46 pm

I noticed that Sailor capitalized LOT before spices and that caught my attention BUT please tell me WTH is Cous Cous :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 22, 2017 7:01 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I noticed that Sailor capitalized LOT before spices and that caught my attention BUT please tell me WTH is Cous Cous :?:

Teeny-weeny grains of a pasta-esque substance...and yes, tasteless unless you really do a lot to it. This had carrots, onion, celery, chicken stock and tomato in addition to the spinach. We couldn't stop eating it, but I'm not buying it again. :P
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Do you boil/steam it like rice :?:
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 22, 2017 7:22 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Do you boil/steam it like rice :?:

I guess the thing about couscous is how fast it cooks. About five minutes, maybe less. I would stir it into hot liquid and almost immediately turn off the heat and let it absorb the liquid. And instead of a two-to-one water/rice ratio couscous is more like one &1/2-to-one.
Moink!
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon May 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Idk if this will work for you but I get the seared look and texture first, then foil them and finish them on the side. Indirect heat. The initial high heat will bring out the flavor of the spice and the foil will make sure they are juicy.
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon May 22, 2017 7:40 pm

JustinCouch wrote:Idk if this will work for you but I get the seared look and texture first, then foil them and finish them on the side. Indirect heat. The initial high heat will bring out the flavor of the spice and the foil will make sure they are juicy.

That's an idea, thanks. I may try this next time boneless, skinless chicken breasts are on sale.
Moink!
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Mon May 22, 2017 7:47 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Do you boil/steam it like rice :?:

Wife buys in a packet and adds boiling water and covers, ready in 5 mins. I won't eat it again, but I make the bigger version of arborio risotto with chicken and pumpkin , I like that.

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Chick-speriment

Postby woodenvisions » Mon May 22, 2017 7:50 pm

[quote="OldUsedParts"]

please tell me WTH is Cous Cous :?:

LOLOLOLOLOL @ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Speaking of ratios - - - when I do my Mahatma Rice I use a rice cooker and always do it 3 to 1 ratio - - - perfect every time :tup: bout the only thing I can say that about :laughing7: :D :lol:
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Mon May 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Next time we try grilling chicken breasts, we'll do it on a bigger gas rig with multiple burners so we can cook it partly indirect. The small Weber (Q100) is a single burner for direct grilling only.

And yes, the couscous was very good this way.
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue May 23, 2017 5:27 am

I cooked some boneless skinless last Friday low and slow and they may have been the first ones I have cooked on the grill that came out tender. Next ones I do I am going to sear and wrap and see what happens because 2 hours for some boneless skinless is way too long for me anyway. My daughter tells me to just do them in the skillet because they always come out good. Just sear and then slice into long slices or chunks and then finish cooking them through. That's the way she likes them but I always got to go and complicate things. :banghead: :banghead:
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”