Wednesday's Down Under ?Wonders?

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Wednesday's Down Under ?Wonders?

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:05 pm

First of all let me say that my usage of the word WONDER is in the Verb sense and not the Noun, except for the Awesome Steak Seasoning Taste from Suckle Busters Campfire Steak Seasoning. that is definitely a WONDER :tup: :salut: :cheers:

OK, I was in WONDER when I actually bought a Beef Lion Strip Steak that was from Australia while shopping at HEB and looking for all natural raised Angus. The Aussie part just happened to go with the chunk I found.

I was also in WONDER as to why I could not seem to get those pretty cross hatched grill marks that others achieve so I used my Kingsford Kettle with Charcoal and a Grill Plate that didn't work even at 300 Pit Temp directly over the coals.

So I WONDERed if doing the flip side straight on the Kettle's Grill itself would help :dont: Weeeellll, it kinda did but in the process, I overcooked it, therefore, I am not getting the cool center rare meat that I love so much.

So it's probably no WONDER why I'm going to forget about the marks and start concentrating again on the pretty hot quick sear and the cool juicy center. :salut:

Sides were loaded tater and simple salad that got eaten while the tater was finishing up. :whiteflag:

IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Wednesday's Down Under ?Wonders?

Postby TX1911 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Looks good to me! My first bottle of the new recipe campfire steak seasoning got here yesterday, so I've got to find a reason to use it now!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Looks good to me, too!

Getting sear marks is, I'm beginning to think, a matter of having a surface-of-the-sun hot grill. This is why we so often turn to the Mini-Q. It's an inferno.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:42 pm

thanks, it was certainly eatable and nothing went to waste BUT the thinner cut and being a Strip instead of a thick cut bone in Ribeye or Filet didn't produce that Vampire drool melt in your mouth finish.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Getting sear marks is, I'm beginning to think, a matter of having a surface-of-the-sun hot grill. This is why we so often turn to the Mini-Q. It's an inferno.

I think you're spot on, Sailor, being that I love the charcoal flavor so much, I'm pretty limited - - - who needs grill marks anyhow :dont:
kiwiruss USER_AVATAR
Kiwiruss
Bandolero

Postby Kiwiruss » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:50 pm

Nice marbling on that meat oup, supposed to be a good sign.?

Russ
Be different.......we love different. :happ:
jiwoejwoei69
Pilgrim

Postby jiwoejwoei69 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:54 pm

hi,that looks very delicious. :pig: :pig: :pig:
Don't cry because it is over,smile because it is happened.You should remember,our BBQ grill mat are always here with you.
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:18 am

I could make a meal off of that and be pretty dang happy about it!!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:43 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:Getting sear marks is, I'm beginning to think, a matter of having a surface-of-the-sun hot grill. This is why we so often turn to the Mini-Q. It's an inferno.

I think you're spot on, Sailor, being that I love the charcoal flavor so much, I'm pretty limited - - - who needs grill marks anyhow :dont:

Charcoal isn't your problem. Grates make all the difference. I only cook on charcoal and can get great marks, no problemo. :) I use grill toppers though. I started out with this one without the legs https://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen- ... ill+topper. It creates great grill marks when you get it hot and oiled. I now use these https://www.grillgrate.com/. I have four of them and LOVE to cook on the surface. My only complaint with them is that although they are suppose to hook together for a solid piece, mine rarely stay together. I'd rather have one solid piece. At any rate, they are lightweight and make great grill marks and make grilling easy, especially direct grilling. :D
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks, Tobe, in the fourth pic down you can see the type of grill plate that I used that was taken after 6 minutes with the side you're looking at face DOWN on the grill plate and gauge on lid reading 300. :dont: However, I am so set on "screaming and bleeding" when done that, as you say, I may not be getting it hot enough. My Wiffy is NOT much of a meat eater so when I grill steaks it's usually just one piece of meat to worry with and I still ain't getting it. Let me see if this can soak into my gray matter and see what I can accomplish. Appreciate your info and comments. :tup: :salut:

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”