What to buy

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Tom159
Pilgrim

What to buy

Postby Tom159 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong topic but just registered to the forum and want to get into smoking.

I currently have a gas BBQ that I use for spontaneous grilling most evenings but having been on holiday and tasting meat cooked for hours on a Webber kettle Ive started trying different things out on the gas BBQ using wood chips. I've cooked a chicken and pork joint which turned out great but still not as tasty as the stuff I had on holiday using the coals.

So my question is what do I buy? Done some research and found either the Weber smokey mountain or go with the premium kettle. I don't know whether to get the smokey mountain as I can dedicate that to smoking and long cooks and carry on grilling on the gas BBQ or get the kettle BBQ so I can do both over coals.

Would I regret not been able to use direct heat with not getting a kettle as I've never used coals before just gas.

Any advice would be great fully appreciated.

Thanks in advance
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: What to buy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Welcome aboard Tom you have been bitten by the taste of wood smoke.

I'll let others pitch in to help settle your dilemma. I do own a Weber kettle but don't use it much any more since I have a Cookshack PG500.
I'll chime in though that Weber products are hard to beat.
tarde venientibus ossa....
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Depends on your budget, too. If you can only go for one, maybe the WSM, because that WILL smoke for you.

Keep the gas rig by all means, especially for quick 'n' easy grilling and MOST especially if it has a side burner. This is where you start your coals, in a chimney.

Welcome aboard and keep us posted. :tup:
Moink!
Tom159
Pilgrim

Postby Tom159 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks papa tom.
Never heard of the cookshack but a quick google search and that's a serious piece of kit!! I'll start dreaming of owning that one day :D
Looked into Weber for the quality.

Sailor kenshin... I can only justify getting one but the budget would stretch to a WSM if that's what the consensus was. Any other recommendations for BBQ within that price range I'd look in to not stuck within those 2 was just going off quality and reviews.

Having already started and know that I want to do better I'm willing to go all in and get the best in my budget from the start as I know it would get used.

Has anyone got the regrets of not been able to grill having bought a WSM or ended up buying a coal BBQ aswel?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:58 pm

I've never owned a WSM BUT I can assure you that once my ECB (Brinkman Griller/Smoker that they don't make anymore) lies down, I will be the owner of a 22" Smoking Mtn. Your budget will probably select the size but, if not, go 22. Now that is only my opinion and there are lots of good Charcoal Units out there these days so Good Luck with your choice. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Tom159
Pilgrim

Postby Tom159 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:25 am

Decided to go with the 57cm kettle. For the versatility of been able to grill aswel as smoke. Got my first pork shoulder on for some pulled pork. Hopefully get some good results.
Attachments
IMG_1501.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG
FWL2579
Wrangler

Postby FWL2579 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:23 am

Hi Tom,

How did the pulled pork turn out? Going to do one this weekend myself on my weber kettle and was curious to see how yours turned out.
Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis S-330
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:58 am

Good choice, Tom, now just use it, play with it and learn it - - - - it's a process that can only be speeded up by YOU - - - ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sarahjess
Pilgrim

Postby sarahjess » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:08 am

Hellooo everyone!!! I have a similar question too!! I'm planning to gift my sister a smoker. But unable to decide which smoker. There are so many different kinds like propane, charcoal, electric. Can someone suggest which is the best smoker for outdoor camping. Thanks a lot in advance.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 am

Little Weber kettles or the Smokey Mountain are portable, light, easy to operate, reasonably durable, and economic to buy. A great grill or smoker doesn't have to be expensive - my first grill was actually one of those two plate cast iron hibachi's I got at Albertsons for like $12 and used until I just flat burned it up into powder. Made great chicken with a double handful of charcoal. But not a very safe rig, whereas the Webers are pretty safe. For smoking and grilling, you want something with at least a lid on it, and this is safer to operate too for a novice. If you decide to go with the Weber kettle, read up on the "Minion" method to be able to do smoking as well as grilling.

If you want to ease into things really cheap but also fun...

https://www.worldmarket.com/product/ter ... g+grill.do
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
Tom159
Pilgrim

Postby Tom159 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:43 am

FWl2579... pulled pork turned out ok, pulled it at around 190f but when I do it again will go abit higher. Hope yours turned out well. Through abit of testing I've found to keep a temp around 225f the snake method works best for me.

I would definitely recommend the Weber kettle, having already done pork, ribs, chicken plus the usual direct grilling, I'm really happy with the purchase and results I'm getting.

Trying my first brisket tomorrow (only a small one though) got it marinating in the fridge overnight ready to go on in the morning.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”