Help - Cooking for a crowd

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jojobda
Pilgrim

Help - Cooking for a crowd

Postby jojobda » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Hey guys. New to the forum. First time post. New to smoking too. So far I have smoked chicken thighs, pork butt, spare ribs. All have been pretty good. I use a UDS that I built last month and am enjoying it.

My wife has asked to hook her up for her birthday in 2 weeks for a crowd of 15-20. She has ordered up Texas brisket (she is from tx), ribs and sausage.

I will be getting the following:
12lb brisket
4 racks of st Louis ribs
A few packs of sausage (brats, kielbasa etc)

My biggest worry is timings. People will be arriving for 7pm. The venue is an hour away from where the UDS is.... If need be I will take the UDS there.

How do I go about cooking everything to be ready to serve at 7? What do I put on and when? If I cook the brisket hot and fast will it be ok to rest for say 6 hours in a cooler?

I just want to be organized and have myself a timeline to use (thaw meat, meet prep, cook etc)

Please help a rookie out.

Since this is a special day and I want it just right I will be using a DigiQ PID to help regulate my temps.

Thanks and sorry for such a long post [SEE-NO-EVIL MONKEY]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: Help - Cooking for a crowd

Postby Russ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Calling bondo bill,lol. He's your expert on numbers.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Welcome, Howdy and Good Luck with this Cook :tup: the only thing I can really comment on is there should be no problem cooking and then transporting an hour away to the Venue - - - most good BBQ should be wrapped and rested in a cooler anyhow so "it" might as well be resting while you're driving, huh? :dont: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:50 am

Weclome! Now that sounds like my kind of party!

I just did my sons bday this past weekend and did 2 briskets that took about 13.5 hours but i tried keeping my temps at 225-250. I let it rest in a cooler for maybe 3-4 hours and was still hot to the touch. I see no problem if all your meat goes into one cooler it staying hot for 6 hours. If you cook 275-325 I would say it could come down to about 8 or less hours. But I do not know how tender it will be.

The ribs should take about 5-6 hours at 250-275

I have never cooked sausages so dont know time on that.

Hope its plenty of meat. I pretty much ran out of brisket with about 25 people. 12lb and 15lb brisket before trimming. Good Luck!
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:56 am

You will be surprised at how much meat 15-20 people can consume (especially when it is good Que) Figure each person will get at least 1/3 lb of brisket, a rib or two, maybe some sausage. You can offset that to some degree with sides and apps but that has proven to work for me and my friends. There are others on here with commercial experience who can help out better. I would alot rather have some leftovers or take home packs than someone poking around trying to find something else to eat.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
jojobda
Pilgrim

Postby jojobda » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:17 am

I think I'm good on the meat. There will be other items also. I need help with a timeline to get it all done efficiently. I will have the day off and the day before off too

outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:33 am

jojobda wrote:I think I'm good on the meat. There will be other items also. I need help with a timeline to get it all done efficiently. I will have the day off and the day before off too

I'm sorry. I cant help with a UDS timeline, never used one.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:31 pm

Sorry...I neither have never cooked on a UDS. No help there :dont:

I always try to give myself at least 2 hours leeway when cooking for a crowd and transporting the meat. That way if problems arise or if running behind I got a couple extra hours to catch up.
For transporting and keeping the food hot I store the food in disposable aluminum tin pans wrapped and sealed with foil. That way I don't have to worry bout the bones of the ribs punching holes in the foil. Find a aluminum pan big enough to hold all four racks of ribs. The brisket you could probably just wrap in foil but I put them in a pan also and wrap with foil for transport. Also helps to use a bunch of old clean towels in your cooler. Ill put a couple towels in the bottom of cooler then set the tins on top of the towels then cover the tins with a couple layers of towels. I've had left over racks of uncut ribs in the cooler for as long as 4 hours and they still where too hot to handle without gloves.
You can also preheat your cooler with some hot water. Set a pan of hot water in your cooler a hour or so before you set the food in the cooler. I do the hot water thing when transporting bbqd Salmon....probably not needed for ribs and brisket tho.

Good luck
Bill
Swamptrout
Pilgrim

Postby Swamptrout » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:50 pm

I too have never cooked on a UDS but when i am cooking for larger crowds i prefer to have the meat cooked the day before then warm the meat on the day.

If you were keen to continue with the show you could grill the sausages on the day in front of the guests as they are rocking up.

I always aim for 250gms of meat per head with 2 or 3 sides.
My obsessions - cooking, grilling, burning, smoking.
My possessions - GMG DB, Akorn, Hark Roti, Ziggy Triple, Viva Multi Cooker.
jojobda
Pilgrim

Postby jojobda » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Thanks guys. The brisket will go on the night before at 5pm and the ribs will be done that day. Sausages on site. I appreciate all the feedback and advice.

Thanks.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Good Luck to you - - - - post up some pics if you can :dont: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”