Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Simple Saturday

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Grilled balsamic-marinated chicken thighs
Garden vejables (cooler penners, beans, chard)
Nuketater salad
Pickles

It was pretty good. Neighbors were blowing stuff up at 4AM yesterday. Likely I'll fall asleep soon. :laughing7:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Simple Saturday

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:35 pm

I beez like'n the variety on that thar plate - - - - sheeken looks very moist and tummy yummy :salut: :cheers: I need to make myself learn how to put chard in our diet when it's in season - - especially the sauteed recipes. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Basically we've been eating a fair bit of chard this summer because we've been growing some in the garden, and when we cut off some leaves, they keep coming back. :shock:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:21 pm

sounds like collards :laughing7: are they similar to collards or mustard greens in taste? or do you know what those are ? :dont: :D
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:sounds like collards :laughing7: are they similar to collards or mustard greens in taste? or do you know what those are ? :dont: :D

MUCH more similar to a cross between spinach and beets in taste. Depending how fine you chop the leaves, they'll be done in fifteen minutes or less. They lack the bite of mustard greens and the 'heavy' flavor of collards.

I usually throw diced onyawn and smashed garlic in oil, sautee a bit, add the chard, let cook covered, and finish with a touch of brown sugar, red pepper flakes and soy sauce.
Moink!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:37 pm

We call it silver beet here, great in a curry or just steamed, either way it's good. Ma'am do you put celery in ya tater salad? I love it in my salads. Wife grows it here. Celery that is not tater salad, ya can't grow them,lol

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
MUCH more similar to a cross between spinach and beets in taste. Depending how fine you chop the leaves, they'll be done in fifteen minutes or less. They lack the bite of mustard greens and the 'heavy' flavor of collards.

I usually throw diced onyawn and smashed garlic in oil, sautee a bit, add the chard, let cook covered, and finish with a touch of brown sugar, red pepper flakes and soy sauce.

thanks, I definitely gotta try some maybe with a Texas twist :D
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:50 pm

The only thing ( blowin up ) would be my belly, cuz I'd tear that up !!
Well, all but the Okra LOLLOLLOL.

That looks excellent :):)
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:05 am

Russ wrote:We call it silver beet here, great in a curry or just steamed, either way it's good. Ma'am do you put celery in ya tater salad? I love it in my salads. Wife grows it here. Celery that is not tater salad, ya can't grow them,lol

Russ

Yes, celery, usually a mix of green and white onyawn, mayo, a squirt of mustard, some pickle juice, salt 'n' pepper. Sometimes we toss in a few other things.

Can NOT grow celery here, alas. But for some odd reason we can re-grow the stubs in water.
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:08 am

In an Emergency Situation, ,I've been known to use Relish or Chowchow in my tater salad :dont: :laughing7:

Sherry puts sugar in hers and that takes me out of the participation completely - - - so I eat cole slaw instead :banghead:
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:14 am

Nice looking plate, other than the chard. Not a fan but what do I know. :rose: :rose: :rose:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:16 am

OldUsedParts wrote:In an Emergency Situation, ,I've been known to use Relish or Chowchow in my tater salad :dont: :laughing7:

Sherry puts sugar in hers and that takes me out of the participation completely - - - so I eat cole slaw instead :banghead:

Like my grandbaby says "EWWWWWW" on the sugar. :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 am

outlaw wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:In an Emergency Situation, ,I've been known to use Relish or Chowchow in my tater salad :dont: :laughing7:

Like my grandbaby says "EWWWWWW" on the sugar. :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:

Hijacking my own thread, but there was a Vietnamese eatery here decades back. They had great battered, pan-fried ham and chez sammiches, but the fried potato side was SUGARED. :dont:
Moink!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:45 am

outlaw wrote:Like my grandbaby says "EWWWWWW" on the sugar. :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:

She was raised in the Cotton Fields of the Ark Mississippi Delta and I accuse her all the time of being raised on a Sugar Cane Plantation - - - - I thought I'd be "cute" once and asked her if her Mom used Sugar Cane as her pacifier - - - she didn't think it was as funny as I did :slap: :censor:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
outlaw wrote:Like my grandbaby says "EWWWWWW" on the sugar. :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:

She was raised in the Cotton Fields of the Ark Mississippi Delta and I accuse her all the time of being raised on a Sugar Cane Plantation - - - - I thought I'd be "cute" once and asked her if her Mom used Sugar Cane as her pacifier - - - she didn't think it was as funny as I did :slap: :censor:

I hate that, when you say sum thin funny, and others don't. Or they click later.lol. :deadhorse:

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”