What's wrong with the beef?

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

alfer
Pilgrim

What's wrong with the beef?

Postby alfer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:58 pm

I live on the Jersey Shore. I can't find a restaurant; even a good steakhouse that can sear a Ribeye, and grill it to Medium Rare to save their life! Neither can I get a good steak to sear and turn out Medium Rare on my own grille anymore. I'm through thinking I'M doing something wrong! I bought 4 bone-in NY Strips with beautiful marbling (PRIME,) dropped 'em to room temperature, seasoned 'em, then brought my grille up to 700-800 degrees, and put 'me on to sear... they refused to sear!!! There were slight sear lines, but I had to turn them over before they over cooked before they got crusty! There's SOMETHING in the beef nowadays that makes it act weird! I've been grilling since I was nine years old, I'm now 63! Can anyone add some light on this issue?
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: What's wrong with the beef?

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 pm

alfer wrote:I live on the Jersey Shore. I can't find a restaurant; even a good steakhouse that can sear a Ribeye, and grill it to Medium Rare to save their life! Neither can I get a good steak to sear and turn out Medium Rare on my own grille anymore. I'm through thinking I'M doing something wrong! I bought 4 bone-in NY Strips with beautiful marbling (PRIME,) dropped 'em to room temperature, seasoned 'em, then brought my grille up to 700-800 degrees, and put 'me on to sear... they refused to sear!!! There were slight sear lines, but I had to turn them over before they over cooked before they got crusty! There's SOMETHING in the beef nowadays that makes it act weird! I've been grilling since I was nine years old, I'm now 63! Can anyone add some light on this issue?
Alfer,

I wish I could give you the answer regarding this ?
I haven't had any problems like your talking about and I'm only 1 state away from you. Also, I have family roots in Northern Jersey, and just a month or so ago we picked up a few Ribeyes for the grill and had no issue searing them.
Now, considering there are probably hundreds of beef farms in Jersey, I'm wondering now if it's just something limited to a certain supplier ??
It's very odd tho, I hope you can get some answers tho :( :( :(
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Re: What's wrong with the beef?

Postby Russ » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:00 pm

I find it odd as well, if ya got heat, ha got sear. Never had trouble with grass fed beef round here. Only trouble with our beef it's too expensive compared to you guys.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:42 pm

What kind of grill are you using? It helps to get sear if the steaks are patted dry and the grill is well-greased and allowed to heat for at least ten minutes.
Moink!
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:43 am

Use these, get grill to proper temp and you WILL have sear marks whether you want them or not. I live and die by my steaks appearance and these will not fail you. My wife can even get grill marks. :chef: :chef:

https://www.grillgrate.com/
Attachments
Steak.jpg
IMG_3882.jpeg
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”