Resting meat

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rhall79079
Pilgrim

Resting meat

Postby rhall79079 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:26 am

New member here and I couldn't find any post about resting meat. I smoked a brisket yesterday and when I took it off the smoker (had it wrapped in peach butcher paper) I put it in a cooler to rest with some pork butt's I had smoked as well. I fell asleep and it stayed in there for about 4 plus hours. When I went to slice it, the flat was so dry. I was inquiring about how does everyone rest meat, do they leave it out at room temp, put it in a cooler or other ways. It could have been a bad piece of meat but I really think it was over cooked. Any advice or input would be appreciated.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Resting meat

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:33 am

Welcome to the Forum - - - I'm sure some of our knowledgeable members will be to your assistance soon. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:13 am

I always rest mine exactly like you described, sometimes even over night. For me optimum slicing temp is about 145 degrees. The purpose of resting is to pull the moisture back into the meat so I don't think too long affects it. Too short and all those great juices will just flow out on the board.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:23 am

#1 on the 145 ish temp.

Question - did the thickest part of the flat probe tender before you pulled it off the pit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:32 am

Good question above. Another thought. The paper wrap will also leech moisture from the meat if left too long wrapped in it.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:41 pm

Outlaw really? I never thought about it but the paper is taking away the juice from the meat by absorbing it. I just have never thought about it. The proving of the meat to be is a tall tail sign of the doneness of the meat. It should feel like butter. Simply smooth to penetrate.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:49 pm

I let my my briskets for at least an hour, my ideal time is for a two hour rest, I also rest in foil pan with the juices and l will let the brisket breath or cool a bit before putting in cooler or Cambro.If you do not let it cool off pryor to placing in cooler it will continue to cook in the cooler.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:52 pm

The pork butts might have been an issue as well if they were still hot. A lot of heat in the cooler. I usually just put one or two briskets but try to not stack on top of each other,
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:23 pm

limey wrote:The pork butts might have been an issue as well if they were still hot. A lot of heat in the cooler. I usually just put one or two briskets but try to not stack on top of each other,

Agree. I made that mistake once with prime rib. :oops:
Wrapped Hot pork butts will produce a lot of heat in a cooler. That's probably OK for the butts but not so much for a resting brisket.
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Stupid question, but why rest in a cooler? Why not in a pan on the counter? Especially if you need the brisket temp to go down?
Moink!
rhall79079
Pilgrim

Postby rhall79079 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:37 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I did probe the meat when I took it off but I mainly try to go by feel of the meat especially when using paper as the wrap. It felt flexible, jelly like. It’s how I would normally take it off. Usually I don’t have pork butts with it but was cooking for several people and tried to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I know sometimes people will pull a little earlier because if in a cooler it has the potential to cook while in the cooler. In hindsight transferring it to foil might have helped preserve the moisture and maybe separating the meats in different containers as well. Certainly a “live and learn” moment.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:52 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Stupid question, but why rest in a cooler? Why not in a pan on the counter? Especially if you need the brisket temp to go down?

Not a stupid question at all. In my case it depends on how close to serving I am. Cooler is used if I need to keep it warm for a while.

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:59 pm

bsooner75 wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:Stupid question, but why rest in a cooler? Why not in a pan on the counter? Especially if you need the brisket temp to go down?

Not a stupid question at all. In my case it depends on how close to serving I am. Cooler is used if I need to keep it warm for a while.

Thanks. We try to arrange things so the feeders wait for the food. :laughing7:
Moink!
canadian smoker USER_AVATAR
Canadian Smoker
Rustler

Postby Canadian Smoker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:12 pm

I like to rest briskets and butts for at least a couple hours.....I am not a big fan of wrapping in butcher paper just because of the fact it soaks up the juices.....but paper seems to be the new fad the last couple of years.
I like to finish my cooks early and wrap in foil ...into a cooler and fill the void with a towel.I have done this for up to 4 hours and the meat is still to hot to handle....nothing worse then a crowd of hungry people waiting.
I find the foil keeps in the moisture and the long rest really lets the meat relax....makes for a much easier pull or slice....this is just my method....YMMV.
Tools:
Horizon Marshal 20" RD Special Offset
22" Weber Master Touch (limited edition smoke color)
Large BGE
Napoleon Gasser

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe,and it has a longer shelf life."
Frank Zappa"
Arto
Pilgrim

Postby Arto » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Thats how it works around here. Nobody wants to wait, they just want to eat
ART O
Suffolk County NY
New to Smoking
http://www.longislandroofwashers.com

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”