rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Re: ABT Burger Part II

Postby rms827 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:47 pm

Actually, per this site:

https://paleoflourish.com/recipe-copyright/

Are Recipes Protected by Copyright Law?

In general, No, with exceptions (wow, it’s amazing how law school teaches you how to never give a straight answer!).

The Copyright Act has a whole list of things that are protected by copyright. Recipes are not on the list. Still, the list isn’t exclusive, meaning that things not on the list could be protected.

The general test for copyright protection is originality, and the original and creative portions of the work must be able to be separated from the utilitarian/functional aspects of the work.

For instance, clothing is a very popular example, since clothing is generally not able to be copyrighted at all (Knitwaves, Inc. v. Lollytogs Ltd., 71 F.3d 996, 1002 (2d Cir. 1995)). However, as the Knitwaves case also shows, patterns on clothes may be copyrighted, since they don’t tend to have any actual function. But when it comes to the clothing itself, courts have continually ruled that clothes are functional (i.e., designed to be used rather than displayed like art) and therefore not able to be copyrighted, even if the clothing design is new or unique.

Likewise, courts have generally ruled that recipes are functional and therefore not able to be copyrighted.

The most definitive case on this issue was Publications International, Ltd. v. Meredith Corp. (88 F.3d 473 (7th Cir. 1996)). This case involves the fascinating subject of a book of Dannon yogurt recipes
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:26 am

Lately my hidden Humor has become totally invisible - - - - just kidding Y'all :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:50 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Lately my hidden Humor has become totally invisible - - - - just kidding Y'all :banghead:

You should’ve offered to teach him your method, for a small fee (or free food) of course :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Great looking burgers! Recipes can not be copyrighted, this is why they're so closely guarded.
(Insert witty signature here)
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:02 pm

:chef: :salut: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
p.z. USER_AVATAR
P.Z.
Pilgrim

Postby P.Z. » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:48 pm

That looks really tasty - I need to try that for sure!
PZ
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:28 pm

thanks, P.Z., if you like bacon and jalapenos then you'll like the ABT Burger - - - - of course you can full your ABTs with anything you chose to. :tup: :salut: The one I had at the Eatery was the breaded popper style and it was good BUT I like the bacon wrapped best. :D

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”