Disappointing ribs

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Disappointing ribs

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks a lot for all the good advices, tips and tricks. I'll do some more testing and let you know when I have success. I

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Disappointing ribs

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:27 pm

daBertl wrote:Did you remove the Silver Skin?
No, I didn't. Will do that next time.

Instagram: Norway_joe1
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Re: RE: Re: Disappointing ribs

Postby daBertl » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Joernolav wrote:
daBertl wrote:Did you remove the Silver Skin?
No, I didn't. Will do that next time.

This is besides the short time the main reason for them beeing hard.
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
nelsonpk
Pilgrim

Postby nelsonpk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 am

I removed the membrane as per the book put mustard on for a binder then the rub on "smoke" setting for 3 hours, took them out put sugar and honey on them put more apple juice in there wrapped them tight 2 hours at 225, then removed them put sauce on them cooked open for another hour as I say no pullback on the bone not dry but definitely not fob and juicy. When I put them in on the smoke setting on the Traeger is set very low I presume when it says smoke for three hours it is on the "smoke" setting?
I see so many different ways on the internet its confusing, one consistent thing though the internet ones look a darn sight better than mine.
Would say using spare ribs or different ones be easier to get this result I want to get these right before I move on to different things like brisket, pulled pork or beef ribs.
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:35 am

If u did everything right, maybe u only got a bad quality of the ribs. Can happen sometimes. Try again and if it will not work also, then we try to diagnose the setup.-
nelsonpk
Pilgrim

Postby nelsonpk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:14 pm

daBertl wrote:If u did everything right, maybe u only got a bad quality of the ribs. Can happen sometimes. Try again and if it will not work also, then we try to diagnose the setup.-

Will do, I did notice on some methods they put the meat face down in the liquid,my ribs were quite arched so weren’t bathed in liquid as I had them bone down. One thing I have discovered is that that the drip tray was not on the left hand lip but flat on the metal that goes over the flame pot. Reason maybe?
nelsonpk
Pilgrim

Postby nelsonpk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:15 pm

nelsonpk wrote:
daBertl wrote:If u did everything right, maybe u only got a bad quality of the ribs. Can happen sometimes. Try again and if it will not work also, then we try to diagnose the setup.-

Will do, I did notice on some methods they put the meat face down in the liquid,my ribs were quite arched so weren’t bathed in liquid as I had them bone down. One thing I have discovered is that that the drip tray was not on the left hand lip but flat on the metal that goes over the flame pot. Reason maybe?

Just a quickie really appreciate the help.
nelsonpk
Pilgrim

Postby nelsonpk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:38 am

This weekend I tried ribs on Saturday same method 3-2-1 same batch of ribs, same temps and only marginally better no fall of but juicier.
Sunday I thought id try pulled pork using the method in the supplied book but I thought id try clicking the temp up a notch ( 250 not 225)but the same time internal temp 204, this was amazing.
Going back to the ribs what effect would doing it 2-3-1 with the temp at 250? do you think
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:09 am

Where do you have the 250?
At the grillage or at the cover thermometer?

I always do it with about 250 at the cover thermometer.

Did you change also the ribs?

If u close your ribs for the stewing phase, it must be so hot in the grill, that your liquid is light cooking. Otherwise the mistake is maybe here.
nelsonpk
Pilgrim

Postby nelsonpk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:03 am

The temp was taken by the internal Traeger thermometer. They were of the same batch as I ordered 4 packs of two! so this was pack two.
As I say they were better but not falling of the bone and juicy. Thanks
texmike USER_AVATAR
TexMike
Cowboy

Postby TexMike » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:17 pm

You've gotten some good advice. I never wrap mine. I cook for 6 hours at 225F. :chef: :chef:
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:12 pm

I cooked a couple racks of spares Sunday afternoon - smoked a couple of hours to a good color at around 250 then wrapped and cooked to an internal temp of 203 - some of my best ribs ever.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”