Lamb shanks today

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Lamb shanks today

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:33 pm

First time for me. I like lamb and I got served lamb shanks a while ago which was delicious. Figured I wanted to make it and got time for it today.

Started with the shanks rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. I smoked them for an hour with apple wood and oak from old aquavit barrels at 210. Then in the pan with 50/50 broth and redwine. A good chunk of butter and some rosemary. Let them stay for 4 hours at 300. In the 4 hour period one hour nap on the couch is mandatory.

Served with butter fried chanterelles, pan fried asparagus and mashed potatoes. Made the gravy from the liquid in the pan, chopped shallots and garlic.

Had a Lagunitas Day time ale from Michigan to drink.

I think they tasted great. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Last edited by Norway Joe on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Lamb shanks today

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Looks great Norway Joe, and as far as the nap goes, I'd need one after eating also :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:26 pm

22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:35 am

I do lamb shanks all the time in winter. You present it beautiful, couldn't do better. I slow cook for about 8 hrs in a slow cooker.
Yours gets 10/10 from me. From the land of sheep. I have about 10 shanks still in the freezer.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:48 am

Russ wrote:I do lamb shanks all the time in winter. You present it beautiful, couldn't do better. I slow cook for about 8 hrs in a slow cooker.
Yours gets 10/10 from me. From the land of sheep. I have about 10 shanks still in the freezer.

Russ
Thank you. Actually these are from New Zealand. I like to buy lamb from New Zealand or Iceland.

We have world class lamb in Norway too, but like many other norwegians I am boycotting them because of the way the farmers operate. They let the sheeps out with no supervision from the spring until late autumn. This results in thousands of sheeps getting killed by wolves, bears and other predators a year. We see a lot of barbaric pictures of wounded lambs during the season. But instead of supervising their sheeps they are killing all the predator animals, close to extinction.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:40 am

Joernolav wrote:They let the sheeps out with no supervision from the spring until late autumn. This results in thousands of sheeps getting killed by wolves, bears and other predators a year. We see a lot of barbaric pictures of wounded lambs during the season. But instead of supervising their sheeps they are killing all the predator animals, close to extinction.

Seems to be the way of the World, these days, Joe :roll: :angryfire: :banghead: :scratch: :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:00 am

Yes. By the way, I have nothing against hunting, which is a different thing. It's a good thing to harvest what mother earth provides but it must be sustainable. I am probably getting off the tracks now.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:45 am

Joernolav wrote:Yes. By the way, I have nothing against hunting, which is a different thing. It's a good thing to harvest what mother earth provides but it must be sustainable. I am probably getting off the tracks now.

Totally different and I agree with you 100%. :tup: Now as far as getting off track goes, around here it's perfectly OK to "Hi-Jack" your own thread :salut:
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:29 am

Beautiful! :cheers: :chef:
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:15 pm

They look amazing!
Moink!
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Joe we don't have predators like some on here do, worse we have is a stray dog getting in a paddock and killing a few. But very rare, ours just graze happily until time to go to the works. We just had delivered a few weeks back a whole lamb cut up and frozen . It will last about 3 months.Christmas day is whole leg of lamb with also a turkey roast and also pickled pork, along with the trimmings. Do you have mint sauce with your lamb?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Russ. Great. I can keep on buying lamb from NZ :-). Leg of lamb is my favourite lamb dish. We use mint gel? to the lamb. Delicious. We normally have leg of lamb at Easter eve. I bet a hole lamb is great. Lots of good food. Lamb roast, chops, shanks, filets.

At Christmas eve we normally eat pork belly, pork butt and meatballs from pork meat and pork sausages. This year we are for the first of my 53 years gonna change. Having lamb ribs which is a tradition from the western Norway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnekjøtt

We also have another traditional food which I don't eat. Sheeps head.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:39 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :whiteflag: :mrgreen:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:43 pm

I eat some weird stuff, my wife will testify to that, but a lambs head,no, nada. We also have mint jelly which is beautiful with a lamb sammich. Last time I looked at stock prices store lambs were selling for around $150 a head. Killing and cleaning extra.
A leg of lamb rotisserie is amazing if you get to try it.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Russ wrote:A leg of lamb rotisserie is amazing if you get to try it.

Russ

I have a rotisserie so I will definitely try that. Thanks for the tip.

150 for a lamb is reasonable. We would pay about 300 usd for a 20 kg lamb. Killed and cleaned.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”