The Sous Vide season starts

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

The Sous Vide season starts

Postby daBertl » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:15 am

With these outside temperatures I normally switch to Sous Vide preparing. The same I did yesterday, but i missed a part of my O.F:B. so that I had to finish the steaks at the Summit. But the taste was good as well.
As a Side we had Quinoa Salad with mediterrane vegetables and Halloumi Cheese.
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: The Sous Vide season starts

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:59 am

Anything that Gorgeous makes your tongue slap your eye-balls trying to lick your lips :tup: :salut: :cheers:

Note to Self: Dear Self, go google the definition of Sous Vide :dont: :roll: :laughing7:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:28 am

Is it called different in the States?

Sous Vide is putting the cookware in an evacuated bag and cooking this for some hours in a precise temperatured water bath. In that way you cannot overcook the the steaks or whatever, although if u cook it 10 days.

Thes Roast Beefs were made four hours at 54 degrees and then roasted 1 Minute at the grill. So the core temperature is always 54, which is a little bit more than medium rare at Roast Beef.
The second advantage is, that the change of Collagen is not so hard because the collagen is not lost but changed to Gelatine.
And with normal hot grillig, cooking, whatever you lose about 70% water of the meat. This makes it hard.
With Sous Vide you lose only about 20%, so that the meat is incredible tender.

You should try it. Some day I made some ribs for 60 hours at 58. This was not the normal fall off bone, this was an culinaric orgasm. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

20181125_171733.jpg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:33 am

Don't know what the knowledgeable Folks call it down here but I would call it "boilin in'a bag". :salut:
The logistics on the process sound very legit and tasty but I don't now if I have that kind of patience. :dont:
However, ya never know what I might try if the mood strikes me. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tup:
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:53 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Don't know what the knowledgeable Folks call it down here but I would call it "boilin in'a bag". :salut:
The logistics on the process sound very legit and tasty but I don't now if I have that kind of patience. :dont:
However, ya never know what I might try if the mood strikes me. :tup:

Not quite boil in a bag! It heats the water to a precise temp and keeps it there. The water also circulates in a nifty current to create a kind of, well, current. Lol. It takes a bit of time to cook something but, WELL worth the wait. It provides pinpoint accuracy to the temp of the food over time and NOTHING gets overcooked.
(Insert witty signature here)
smoking piney USER_AVATAR
Smoking Piney
Outlaw

Postby Smoking Piney » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Sous Vide to me is arcain, black art. :D

I understand the concept and practice........but I don't see it becoming part of my practice of smoking meat.

Perhaps, I should expand my horizons..... :D
John - Hopelessly addicted to smoking and grilling. :D
allenayres USER_AVATAR
allenayres
Rustler

Postby allenayres » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:13 pm

We used sous vide last week for a Turkey breast and a beef eye round roast - cooked both at 135 for 15 hours, finished them in a traeger to temp - the Turkey was amazing, the beef ok, I think I smoked it too long after. Not bad for a first try, we'll give it another go soon.
20181126_221200.jpg

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”