Not Quite A Ripper

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Not Quite A Ripper

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu May 02, 2019 1:43 pm

What with cold, wind, rain, putting up tents, getting a slab leak fixed, and picking pieces of my car outta the road, we haven't done much grillin OR chillin' lately.

But a new supermarket opened, and we saw a store brand package of 'Cheddarwurst,' smoked sausages with cheese inside. Couldn't resist bringing them home. Charred them black on the Weber Mini-Q gas rig, served with onyawn, dill relish, and more chez (underneath, so unseen), mustard and a side salad with some green things in it.

They were pretty good! But we need a better Sausage Delivery System; everything falls out of the bun.
Moink!
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Not Quite A Ripper

Postby Norway Joe » Thu May 02, 2019 2:09 pm

I think they look great and would loved to try one. Cheesedogs are great.

Here's how I do it when I have a lot of sauce/topping. Put the sausage in the bun, add sauce and topping(s). Then, place lompe on top, folded tight around the toppings, Sausage and the bun. You lock everything in place. Lompe is a potatocake, must not be mistaken for a tortilla, which probably can be used but it is thicker and more "doughy" than lompe.

Came over this cool article about how to eat hot dogs:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/anewlifein ... lompe/amp/

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 02, 2019 6:04 pm

One thing fo sho is dem dawgs will definitely RIP yer hunger pains out of the tum tum :tup: :cheers: :chef:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
professor bunky USER_AVATAR
Professor Bunky
Outlaw

Postby Professor Bunky » Fri May 03, 2019 10:41 am

That's a good idea, Joe. Thanks.
I'm not sure if we can find lompe around here, but we could try an alternative.
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:00 am

I guarantee I’d eat a couple of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat May 04, 2019 4:45 am

Sailor & PB...

First I'll say that maybe Rutts Hut should follow your lead here because even tho they weren't fried in oil, they sure resemble one that was and they look awesome. As I said last year, Rutts seems to be in a " rutt " , more like a gutter actually

May I suggest something to help with the " delivery " system ?

You can look for " Brioche " Hot Dog Buns.
They are more $$ but well worth it because they hold up way better with toppings, especially soggy toppings.
You can also run a knife down the center of your weiner " ouch " to create a holding pocket as well.
Also, you could try going the Jimmy Bluff route , known as Jimmy Buffs....no...not Jimmy Buffet Emm Lololol.
Sliced Italian Pizza Bread aka Pita Pockets make for Excellent Hot Dog Roll replacements.
Lastly, when I used to own my Sabrett Cart Business, I came across our local Bakery up here in Pee A and the owner suggested trying his Pretzell Hot Dog Buns.
If you can find them, buy stock in them because they are hands down your best tasting option !!

Again, great looking Doggies right here
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat May 04, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks, WV...I might wanna try the pita pocket route. How do you cut them, into two flat disks or half-a-disc?

We didn't want to slash these before cooking; enough of the internally loaded chez leaked out as it is. :laughing7:
Moink!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat May 04, 2019 10:55 am

Great lookin dog. Love the char. The big burrito size flour tortillas would work well.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat May 04, 2019 8:41 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Thanks, WV...I might wanna try the pita pocket route. How do you cut them, into two flat disks or half-a-disc?

We didn't want to slash these before cooking; enough of the internally loaded chez leaked out as it is. :laughing7:
You cut the Pita directly in half so it looks like a half circle or a half moon then stuff em...

I've actually tried to duplicate Jimmy Buffs Pitas last year and I was totally shocked how close I got them as far as taste and looks. A good Pita for any type of hotdog is hard to beat.
I can share an easy as pie recipe for Pitas if you like.
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun May 05, 2019 9:18 am

woodenvisions wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:Thanks, WV...I might wanna try the pita pocket route. How do you cut them, into two flat disks or half-a-disc?

You cut the Pita directly in half so it looks like a half circle or a half moon then stuff em...

I've actually tried to duplicate Jimmy Buffs Pitas last year and I was totally shocked how close I got them as far as taste and looks. A good Pita for any type of hotdog is hard to beat.

Thanks. Please do! :chef:
Moink!
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sun May 05, 2019 6:04 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:
woodenvisions wrote:

Thanks. Please do! :chef:
Sailor,
I had to look for the link on here and here it is.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri May 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Professor Bunky wrote:That's a good idea, Joe. Thanks.
I'm not sure if we can find lompe around here, but we could try an alternative.
Had a few wieners for dinner today. Here's a picture of how we do it. Works great with lots of toppings

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”