Postby CaptJack » Sun May 19, 2019 2:10 pm

good lookin' dinner
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: Saturday tenderloin steak

Postby spacetrucker » Sun May 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Joernolav wrote:Another thing is that I seldom see sauces on the forum. Aren't you folks making sauce or gravy? I see gravy or bbq sauce from time to time but more often there is no such. Is this because it's no part of traditional Texas bbq? I understand this on all the stuff that's basted with different bbq sauces and glazes during cooking, but on steaks, i think a sauce is great.

Joe, great looking plate, job done fantastic!! :cheers:

ON the sauce, gravy question, some folks like the sauces and gravies, some don't; some consider it an insult to the cook to put sauce or gravy on the cooks finest efforts.
I have set my best brisket in front of folks for them to ask where is the BBQ sauce... I camly get up and go to the pantry and get them some. it is their food and taste buds so they are entitled to eat it how ever they want. So in answer to your question some use it and some dont. Around our house BBQ sauce is always here to please whom ever... we normally dont use it; tarter sauce is available for the folks that need it, I use a spritz of lemmon on my fish, When we have fried chicken or chicken fried steak we make gravy to go with it on the smashed potatoes or sometimes rice(gravy on rice some folks have never heard of that), some folks just use butter and seasoning. No offense to anyone whether they use sauce or gravy or not.... just trying to explain why sometimes you see the condiments and sometimes you don't...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun May 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Thank you. Interesting answer about sauce. I can see the point with not putting sauce on the cook where you don't want to disturb the taste. We don't always use sauce either, but sometimes I feel it's a part of the dish, or enhances the dish. With this I mean e.g. a sauce type Bearnaise, peppersauce or a creamy mushroom sauce with a steak. That is very different from gravy. Maybe over here we are influenced a bit from the French kitchen when we cook and also bring parts of it into grilling or bbq'ing.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
jaspaq USER_AVATAR
jaspaq
Rustler

Postby jaspaq » Sun May 19, 2019 5:30 pm

That tenderloin is on point.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon May 20, 2019 9:38 am

Thank you

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 pm

Joernolav wrote:Thank you. Interesting answer about sauce. I can see the point with not putting sauce on the cook where you don't want to disturb the taste. We don't always use sauce either, but sometimes I feel it's a part of the dish, or enhances the dish. With this I mean e.g. a sauce type Bearnaise, peppersauce or a creamy mushroom sauce with a steak. That is very different from gravy. Maybe over here we are influenced a bit from the French kitchen when we cook and also bring parts of it into grilling or bbq'ing.

One further elaboration, a gravy is very common in Texas for fried foods, especially pan fried meats, like cream or brown gravy for chicken fried steak or deep fried chicken. And pan fried venison backstrap with a good pan gravy made from the grease and cracklings is just out of this world good. Same is true of schnitzels that you sometimes see cooked in very traditionally German or ethnic areas of Texas, where you sometimes get a type of Jaeger gravy that is just to die for good. If I lived near Fredericksburg or New Braunfels, I would probably weigh 300 pounds, and be a jolly, smiling fellow slated for burial in a piano case.

As for grilled foods, red meats are often accompanied by simply an au jus, but not uncommon for grilled birds to have a hunter gravy on the side. Most steaks properly cooked can rest on the serving plate briefly and are great with their own juices, particularly if seasoned properly. Other sauces for steaks like a béarnaise may be seen in a high end restaurant but are not commonly used by Texans themselves. They are often seen in large Eastern cities in the US like New York, where (and no offense to our Eastern time zone friends here) frankly the quality of the meat is just not up to Texas standards, even in high end steak houses, it's generally only really mid-grade, dried out, and fairly flavorless. The conditions are slightly better in the Midwest, but I have found Chicago is a highly overrated steak town; if somebody can show me a better steak restaurant than I've been (Morton's, etc.), I am open to persuasion. St. Elmo's in Indianapolis does stand out however, not because of the meat, but because of the shrimp cocktail which is unbelievably good; they put enough rough horseradish on it to burn down Sears tower; wash it down with a really good G&T. Japanese restaurants for hibachi on the West Coast in contrast, particularly Ozumo's (Sumo) in San Francisco, can grill a steak that a Texan can love; they understand finesse and seasoning and quality meat. After many, many frustrating experiments, the only decent steak I've ever had in New York was at Peter Luger's, which is served sort of family style ("Steak for 2, Steak for 4" etc.), and is pretty much stripped down just to the meat. They do have the supremely annoying bad habit of pre-cutting the steaks into sections before serving (and in a "grid manner" ignoring the differing structures in the meat entirely); a very pointed but gentlemanly argument erupted between myself and our crusty old waiter the first time I went when the hacked-up steak arrived and I asked the waiter why in my Texas accent. His reply is, "Look bub, this is New York and this is the way we do it". To which I replied, "Look bub, I'm from an old family in Texas and down there, if you cut a Texan's steak prior to serving it, you may get cut into sections yerself." I am happy to report he decided not to escalate the situation, saying "well, Hades, why don't you try it first before going John Wayne on me?". Being an amiable sort, I did, and it was pretty good, and I told him it was "the first steak in New York I'd ever had that I didn't want to feed my dog". That seemed to break the ice, he thought that was funny. Ended up having a great time, the waiters are all older than Methusaleh, and smart alecks to a man. They also make their own beer, which I thought made them a cut above. But back on point, you will also see in other US states where they make steak Oscar; this is generally greatly frowned upon in Texas. The general attitude in Texas is, if they meat is lousy, you must have to cover it up with something else to hide it, and we have the best beef in the world. If you travel to the US, also beware when ordering a steak to a certain level of doneness because they can't do that right in Eastern cities either. They think Medium Rare is actually Medium to Medium Well, Medium is Well Done, and Well Done is a hockey puck. Very frustrating. They have also not been informed there are only 3 types of steaks: Rare, Medium Rare, and Ruined.

Segueway to Barbecue and Sauce Do's and Don't's: It's a pretty easy hierarchy. IF sliced Brisket needs sauce, then you need to feed it to your dog because you won't want to eat it. Burnt ends or a chopped brisket sammie (made from the point of the brisket typically) can be sauced generously; but only very lightly on a sliced brisket sammie. In fact, there are some quarters where even the concept of a sliced brisket sammie is controversial in and of itself because of the use of bread as a delivery vehicle instead of one's fingers; fist fights have been known to break out amongst adjacent strangers and even family members on this score. The proper method of eating brisket, burnt ends, ribs, chicken, etc., is with the five digits the Big Man stuck on each of our hands; if you have to use a utensil, it's probably lousy barbecue. Beef ribs are never sauced; pork ribs can be lightly glazed so long as it enhances the flavor as a compliment to a really good rib on its own. Pulled pork is great with a drizzle of a really killer sauce either as chunked, shredded, or in a sammie, again mainly as a compliment (and it is not a violation of etiquette to also stuff in sliced onions and pickles into your pulled park sammie, and if you also shove in cole slow, there are a few places where the old lady at the next table will not swat you over the head with her cane). Pulled pork being largely a migrant dish brought in by immigrants from the Southeast, it is not uncommon to follow their etiquette rules on this. In fact, forty years ago, if you walked into a Texas barbecue joint outside of East or South Texas, it would have been unusual to see pulled pork on the menu (and South Texas has its own rules and etiquette for pretty much everything, and don't to tell them how cabrito should be cooked or what elements of Barbacoa are actually food and which aren't; this kind of discussion will find you under the oaks at dawn, with wigs on the green as they say). Chicken is commonly dipped or dragged through a sauce as a compliment, and glazing it is acceptable, particularly for chicken thighs. After all, chickens, while delicious when cooked right, are unconventional and mysterious animals anyway and are viewed by most sensible people and Texans generally with some level of suspicion. To wit: There are tons of references in the Bible to killing and eating the fattened calf, grilling lambs and goats, etc. References to the ignoble chicken? Only one, and it is not complimentary. I mean, no other domestic animal we commonly eat here lays an egg, can run around with it's head cut off, or tries to cross the road against the light. If that seems a strange line of thought, dwell further on the logic a moment:

Sure, chickens look fine from the side, but have you ever looked at one head on????!!? There's just something not right there.

Hope this is helpful, we could write books over here on just whether to sauce or not and when, I'm sure there will be lots more discussions on this in the future, each as conclusive and productive as the one before!

I am Boots, and I approved this message.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon May 20, 2019 2:06 pm

Wow. Are you a writer? If not, consider changing your job. Thank you for a very educational, entertaining and well written answer. And the time spent on writing it. Appreciate it.

I didn't know there was so much etiquettes around Texas bbq. Very interesting and a lot of things to learn. As I've said before, our summer holiday next year will be Texas. Look forward to seeing the state and learn and taste the authentic Texas bbq.

I've been to New York more than a few times. Haven't had much steak there, but most of them have been with sauces like peppersauce etc. Ok, but not extraordinary. The only great we had was a porterhouse steak at Wolfgang's steak house New York. Served without sauce.

About the schnitzel with jagersauce I would be rolling right after you.

Strange you mentioned Chicago since we are starting our summer holiday there the 1st of July. Maybe you still know some decent restaurants there, albeit no great steak house? We love pizza too and sh6be grewt in Chicago I've heard.

After your post I also got a new perspective on chicken :laughing7:

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon May 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Joe, you just recieved a classic dose of OUR Boots. The resident head wordsmith. He tells the most awesome stories, translated to post, that you will experience on here. Sit back and enjoy the ride when he unleashes, its spectacular.

And when it comes to Texas Joe, all you have to do is get here. We will take care of the rest.
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 pm

I love it.

Regarding Texas I'll let you know when we're making plans.

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 pm

do let us know Joe we can point you toward some entertainment places of your desire...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat May 25, 2019 12:50 am

Thanks. Probably won't be before summer holiday next year.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”