Experiment is over. 35 day dry aged NY Strip

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Experiment is over. 35 day dry aged NY Strip

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:33 am

I placed this strip in the refrigerator then once I got my meat locker running, it went into it for another 14 days. Success!! No smell, very little mold and boy did it shrink. Grilling them tomorrow.
Attachments
E8932689-F33F-4450-B555-4A0F12C9858F.jpeg
2FAD1345-346D-4F80-81AF-E0411DB310D8.jpeg
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Experiment is over. 35 day dry aged NY Strip

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:59 am

Sincere Question from a Friend :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

:?: WHY :?: :dont: :scratch:

:?: What are you hoping to achieve from a NY Strip :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:27 am

The flavor is so much better for one compared to pulling it off the shelf at a store. It condenses it by the removal of the juices. I chose the strip primarily due to price. If I had success with it then I would go on to bone in prime rib, cut the bone out after the aged process and I only waste the other side to remove the dried section. That dried part will go into a dry aged brisket for burgers so the waste is minimized.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:28 am

First I'll say is this is completely out of my realm. So when I ask this next question, I'm NOT being sarcastic or funny, I'm seriously wondering..

Did you say Mold ???
Is this expected during this process ?Again, I'm completely ignorant on things like this and I'm curious what you will end up with in the end.
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:49 am

Yes Woodie I said mold. White is good, green is ok but black is seriously bad. The more I read about dry aging and curing meats, it is pretty fascinating. With green mold, you are supposed to spray vinegar on it to stop the molding. Long term aging creates a flavor profile like bleu cheese which is one of the reasons why so many enjoy a dry aged steak. The restaurant I worked at as a young adult dry aged all their meats including prime rib 21 days before prepping them for the clients. You cut off the fat which will be hard as well as the meat itself that it exposed to the air which is where the mold would be anyway so it usually doesn't harm the meat itself. The scrap pieces are only good for burgers to enhance the flavor of the meat if you want. The first time at 21 day aging, I threw out the scraps but after asking a butcher shop near me if they would accept dry aged brisket for a burger grind and said yes, then I chose to keep what I had this morning after cutting it off.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:53 am

Interesting!

Thank you for the lesson, pretty kool info

I LOVE Bleu Cheese
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:59 am

Hmmmm :scratch: So this removes the juices and makes the steak taste like blue cheese ? :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Parts is definitely firmer for sure. Not all the juice is removed. It condenses the flavor by reducing some of the juice by concentrating it.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:23 pm

If you like it and are willing to go to this much trouble, then there's no doubt in my mind that it's good HOWEVER, it muddys up my Grilling Heritage :laughing7: :lol: :D :roll: :dont:
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:17 am

aging beef is something I have heard quite a bit about, never tried, never eaten, that I know of, and someday do want to taste, then probably if hooked after tasting will learn how to do. Now for the questions..... The mold, you spray the green with vinegar (an acid) is that meat consumed? what about the other pieces that have the molds are they discarded or consumed? I have been reading your posts on this and the others you are doing, just I am not educated enough to ask questions yet... :chef:
I am told by the folks that have consumed aged beef that the taste is like no other, discarding the blue cheese taste, it is an intense beef flavor or so described to me...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:53 am

Nice job Cpupil.

I’ve dry aged a ribeye primal 3 times. First time was 28 days, second time was 40 (I think), and the third was 88 days. I didn’t see any mold but if I would have I would just carry on since about an 1/8” would be trimmed.

The moister removal concentrates the flavor of the steak. If you have a fridge where you could consistently maintain a temp below 40 degrees and above freezing, I recommend it. I dry aged in a drawer fridge at 33-34 degrees.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Well the verdict is in. I frickin loved it. My daughters said it was buttery. The only left on the plates were the grizzle. Taste was stronger but not by much. Not as much juice but I did let it rest before cutting into it. Pulled off the grill at 128*.

Honestly, I’ve never had mold yet so I don’t know. Consumer based refrigerators remove the moisture in the air. Usually range for me other refrigerator was in the 30’s for humidity where my True commercial meat locker has a much higher range. I’m show a screen view from my sensor. If your meat gets moldy. White is fine. Green is ok but you spray the green mold and rub off the mold. Black mold is bad. Generally you throw the meat out. It usually smells bad also.
Attachments
DCC13B1E-8C52-484F-B26E-8CA3F06A1CB5.png
4ACE6816-B254-4CB4-B283-B603DBCA783D.jpeg
Last edited by Copasspupil on Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Don't know why but I'm in awe ? Probably the Passion and Perseverance of all this :bow: :salut: :chef:

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”