Using wood when grilling

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Delaware Smoker
Bandolero

Using wood when grilling

Postby Delaware Smoker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:14 pm

Last Mon.,I grilled sum rabbits.I cooked em indirect,using a chunk of apple wood.There wasn't smoke taste.Tomorrow,i'm grilling deer steaks.I want to use apple wood for these.The steaks are small,so would I be better off cooking direct,right over the coals & wood?
Bill
Allie

Postby Allie » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:40 pm

Les used some cherry chips when he grilled some pork chops a while back. We didn't notice the smoky flavors coming through either. I am also interested to hear what others have to say!
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:56 pm

I don't know squat about venison but related to beef or pork I would do them direct but have the wood on the coals generating smoke before placing the steaks on the grill. If the grill is not covered (like a weber) I would make a foil ten to capture the smoke over the meat. The idea is to condense smoke flavor on the meat while it is cool, an alternative is to do them indirect for a short time in the smoke then move them over to direct.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:26 pm

Papa Tom wrote:I don't know squat about venison but related to beef or pork I would do them direct but have the wood on the coals generating smoke before placing the steaks on the grill. If the grill is not covered (like a weber) I would make a foil ten to capture the smoke over the meat. The idea is to condense smoke flavor on the meat while it is cool, an alternative is to do them indirect for a short time in the smoke then move them over to direct.

Sounds like the old reverse-sear method :D Venison is the leanest red meat on the planet, so that method might work best. Good call Papa T!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:00 pm

PT is on the "kini popo" (on the money) regarding smoke. I have grilled hundreds of pounds of chicken halves and quarters both on alder and charcoal. Since it takes about 40 minutes or so, it is not enough time to absorb all the smoke that is just wafting about and not concentrated around the bird.

However I detect a noticeable difference between those cooked over wood/charcoal and those over an electric or gas grill.

malama pono a hui hou kakou,
honu41

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”