Tired of sticky chicken

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Texan79423
Wrangler

Tired of sticky chicken

Postby Texan79423 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:15 am

I make excellent huli-huli and charsue chicken and rib (comp style) but of late I am getting burned out. I want some smoked chicken and ribs with just dry rub and maybe light glaze that is not all sticky. Got any ideas????
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Tired of sticky chicken

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:20 am

Beer Butt Chicken on the Bird and Memphis Style Dry Ribs for the Bonze :dont: :?: :chef: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:10 am

Parts has a good suggestion.

Also, I have liked mayo marinaded chicken lately. Rub down your preferred cuts with mayo (I like the kind with olive oil) let it soak a couple hours then toss on the grill. Season however you’d like but Sucklebusters Clucker Dust is my preference. Instead of smoking I grill with a wood chunk for smoke flavor.

Simple brine is also a good option if you are going to smoke a whole bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:22 am

As they say above.

My suggestion is a spatchcocked chicken. Rubbed with Sucklebusters clucker dust or pecan bbq rub. I've done that a few times with success in my family.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
Texan79423
Wrangler

Postby Texan79423 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks guys. I miss spoke I grill my chicken on Primo pit at ar.ound 325 degrees
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:28 am

Texan79423 wrote:Thanks guys. I miss spoke I grill my chicken on Primo pit at ar.ound 325 degrees

Perfect, try the mayo. Makes for good skin!

Texan79423
Wrangler

Postby Texan79423 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:11 pm

I have used hot water before and it gives bite through skin as well.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:43 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Also, I have liked mayo marinaded chicken lately. Rub down your preferred cuts with mayo (I like the kind with olive oil) let it soak a couple hours then toss on the grill. Season however you’d like but Sucklebusters Clucker Dust is my preference. Instead of smoking I grill with a wood chunk for smoke flavor.

Sooner, I wonder if I could use the Mayo Rub in a Beer Can Bird and still come out with Crispy Hide :dont: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:46 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:
bsooner75 wrote:Also, I have liked mayo marinaded chicken lately. Rub down your preferred cuts with mayo (I like the kind with olive oil) let it soak a couple hours then toss on the grill. Season however you’d like but Sucklebusters Clucker Dust is my preference. Instead of smoking I grill with a wood chunk for smoke flavor.

Sooner, I wonder if I could use the Mayo Rub in a Beer Can Bird and still come out with Crispy Hide :dont: :?:

Couldn’t hurt. You can’t taste the mayo. If nothing else it gives a nice color.

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Thanks, :salut: probably next weekend but I'll let you know how it comes out. :tup:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:40 am

After seeing sooner's posts with mayo on chicken, we tried with mayo on skinless chicken breasts. Spread a good amount of Hellmann's on the breasts and then sprinkled with SB pecan. They have been very good very moist. Seems that the mayo in some locks the moisture in. You don't taste the mayo. Been our new favorite way of grilling chicken breasts.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”