Onion kisses and sides

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Onion kisses and sides

Postby Grillatarian » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:02 am

Promised James I would post some pics. Usually do these with steaks or burgers, but did them with the Sockeye this time and they were still just soooo good.

Cut your onion thick, at least 1/2 inch. I've even done halfs, but they take longer.. more like a low-slow. With the higer temps the 1/2" works good.
Cut foil 10" x 10" or to fit your onion with 4in or so all around. This time we put garlic in the center--- and it was a good thang.

Cover with Worchester sauce and for an extra flavor to savor.... throw in a bit of Liquid Smoke. :D

Pull up the foil all around the onion, pinch to a point and well-lah! You have some onion kisses!

Here's what they look like after about 12min. on the grill at 350 -

This batch came out soooo good. The garlic brought a bit of punch to the party for sure. I used Mayan sweet onions and they came out perfect!

Here's the rest of the sides that went with the salmon :
Zucchini slabs, EVOO, SP and some Hot Rocks seasoning
And...a couple-a Brautts just because...

"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:03 am

Aloha Grillatarian,

Nice meal and those onion kisses look great. I think I will do that later this year when the Walla Walla onions (sweet onions) appear on the produce shelves.

How did you season the sockeye? I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have lots of salmon here year round and I am always looking for ways to prepare them.

malama pono a hui hou,
honu41
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:37 am

Oh my!!!

Note to self... Bookmark this page!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:26 am

Luvs me some onions I do! Those look great!

We do something very similar only with whole onions, esp. when out camping. Take the whole onion and slice off a bit of the top. Then make two perpendicular cuts about 2/3s down the onion. Salt, pepper, garlic or what ever to taste. Take a big pat of butter and stick it in the onion and then do the foil thing like you describe and cook until tender...

James.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:25 am

Those sound and look good. :D :D A must try. :tup:
Jim
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:40 am

Might have to try that this afternoon with a tri-tip :idea:

Looks great.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:49 am

honu41 wrote:Aloha Grillatarian,

Nice meal and those onion kisses look great. I think I will do that later this year when the Walla Walla onions (sweet onions) appear on the produce shelves.

How did you season the sockeye? I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have lots of salmon here year round and I am always looking for ways to prepare them.

malama pono a hui hou,

Aloha Amigo!
This batch was with OSD's http://www.thebackyardbbqer.com/ salmon rub, a mixture of sea salt/brownsugar and a bit of ground ginger. This was my first grill with this rub and I didn't really do it justice. My normal thang is to baptize them for about 15-20min in a lemon/dill/olive oil/garlic pepper/butter baggie and then go straight to a 400* grill. So... I didn't think to pat them down real good before I rubbed them and they pulled in little too much of the salt....which caused the rub to slurry and get thick. The glazing was great... the internal flavor was outstanding... just too much salt up front. Will try this one again. The glazing and the ginger is worth working for!

I bet you get some killer salmon up there. Do you have a favorite rub or marinade?
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:27 am

Do you oil or otherwise lube the foil so the onion don't stick, or is that not a concern?

Good looking bunch of vittels. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:03 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:Do you oil or otherwise lube the foil so the onion don't stick, or is that not a concern?

Good looking bunch of vittels. :D

No sir, they never stick. They release a lot of their own juices and blend with the sauces, steam like crazy and then near the end form a nice brown glaze. Even cooked past the tender point and with very little sauce left they still don't stick. They are super easy and hard to mess up.

Also, if you do a few extras they work great in stir fry.... on burgers... or in fajitas. :wink:

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”