Whatcha Cookin This Weekend 3/14 - 3/16

Everything Grilled. We LOVE pictures.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Whatcha Cookin This Weekend 3/14 - 3/16

Postby SteerCrazy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:21 am

It's FRIDAY!!! What do YOU have on the menu this weekend?? We wanna know!!
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:25 am

I'm thinkin' maybe some nice thick pork chops and some Italian sausages. :D
Jim
Allie

Postby Allie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Tonight we're grilling some pork sirloin chops we bought from a local farmer. We had some earlier in the week and they are really, really good. Tonight, we're going to use some Tony Cachere's Creole seasoning to cook them.

Not sure what else we might end up cooking this weekend. The weather should be nice 40s and sunny so not too bad for grilling!
kksmoker USER_AVATAR
KKSmoker
Rustler

Postby KKSmoker » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:40 pm

Two 12# briskets ($0.99# at Kroger) for my niece's wedding reception.
There is nothing like good food, good wine, and a bad girl.
- Fortune Cookie

http://www.bbqbrew.net
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:40 pm

Damfino. No set plans, so no set menu.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:07 pm

Gonna grill some frog legs. Smoke some sausage, chicken leg quarters, and some reebs. :lol:
a stumpted toe hurts
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:01 am

Some Kabobs. Chicken, Pork, Shrimp...
Might look for a pineapple too.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
perryranch USER_AVATAR
perryranch
Cowboy

Postby perryranch » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:30 am

Well I'm going to be grilling this weekend. That is if DH brings some steaks from the ranch. If he has his choice it will be sirloin but I hope he brings some t-bones also. It's just to pretty of a weekend to not fire up either the pit or the smoker and with nothing to smoke the pit wins. That plus I'm craving a big ol juicy steak.
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:34 am

The wife went to Sam's Club yesterday and came home with 2 pkgs (6 individual) ribs, 3 corned beef briskets, 1 pkg chicken thighs (15) and a pkg chicken legs (don't know how many individual legs).

I think I'll knock out the chicken today and and maybe a slab or two for dinner tonight. The rest I'll do tomorrow.

The corned beef will be divided between her work and my work for Monday. It seems they led a very sheltered boring life. They never have tasted smoke corned beef!

The bulk of the ribs and chicken will get frozen for a trip to the sister-in-law in Wisconsin Easter weekend.

Looks like the Hog Waller is going to get a work out this weekend :D
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:30 am

Burnt Food Dude wrote:The wife went to Sam's Club yesterday and came home with 2 pkgs (6 individual) ribs, 3 corned beef briskets, 1 pkg chicken thighs (15) and a pkg chicken legs (don't know how many individual legs).

I think I'll knock out the chicken today and and maybe a slab or two for dinner tonight. The rest I'll do tomorrow.

The corned beef will be divided between her work and my work for Monday. It seems they led a very sheltered boring life. They never have tasted smoke corned beef!

The bulk of the ribs and chicken will get frozen for a trip to the sister-in-law in Wisconsin Easter weekend.

that smoked corned beef "pastrami" on TVWB webpage looked pretty good BFD. You gonna do some of that??
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:25 am

Got a chuck on the smoker, armadillo eggs and a fatty to go on later. Tomorrow, 1" thick ham steaks marinaded in peanut butter. Sounds weird, but awful good. Hot grill and big plate!

Rich ......Frog legs? ........you're awful close to me!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:41 am

SteerCrazy wrote:
Burnt Food Dude wrote:The wife went to Sam's Club yesterday and came home with 2 pkgs (6 individual) ribs, 3 corned beef briskets, 1 pkg chicken thighs (15) and a pkg chicken legs (don't know how many individual legs).

that smoked corned beef "pastrami" on TVWB webpage looked pretty good BFD. You gonna do some of that??

I am making smoked corned beef that in no way tastes like pastrami.

That is one thing the people over at TVWB don't have a clue about. They think you take a corned beef brisket and put it in a smoker.. when its done you have pastrami. Pastrami has different seasonings.

Yes, you can make a similar to pastrami, product from corned beef but just the fact that you smoke a cb brisket doesn't make it pastrami.

I use a very simple method told to me by Ray Lampe (aka Dr BBQ). Take a corned beef flat (they come in flat, point and round cuts) out of the package. Find one that has the separate seasoning packet in the package. Throw away the seasoning packet. Rinse off the brisket and pat dry with paper towels. Grind some fresh black pepper over the brisket and place in smoker. Check the temp in about 2 hours. If the temp is 160-165 foil it with 1/4 cup of water and cook till 195 - 200. Pull and rest 30 minutes. Slice thin and serve.

Also, I use apple wood for smoking.

NOTE: A corned beef brisket will cook faster than a regular brisket. Do not use any extra salt as the "corning" is really a brine of sorts.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:49 am

Burnt Food Dude wrote:
SteerCrazy wrote:

I am making smoked corned beef that in no way tastes like pastrami.

That is one thing the people over at TVWB don't have a clue about. They think you take a corned beef brisket and put it in a smoker.. when its done you have pastrami. Pastrami has different seasonings.

Yes, you can make a similar to pastrami, product from corned beef but just the fact that you smoke a cb brisket doesn't make it pastrami.

I use a very simple method told to me by Ray Lampe (aka Dr BBQ). Take a corned beef flat (they come in flat, point and round cuts) out of the package. Find one that has the separate seasoning packet in the package. Throw away the seasoning packet. Rinse off the brisket and pat dry with paper towels. Grind some fresh black pepper over the brisket and place in smoker. Check the temp in about 2 hours. If the temp is 160-165 foil it with 1/4 cup of water and cook till 195 - 200. Pull and rest 30 minutes. Slice thin and serve.

Also, I use apple wood for smoking.

NOTE: A corned beef brisket will cook faster than a regular brisket. Do not use any extra salt as the "corning" is really a brine of sorts.

I believe they add some corned beef spices to it. He said the outer tasted like pastrami but the inner still had that corned beef taste.
Allie

Postby Allie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Finally, I can post a big cook!! lol We're going to fire up the smoker tomorrow and cook 2 butts, 2 sirloin roasts, 1 fatty, 1 turkey breast, some spare ribs, and some abts.

I won't have to cook meat all week long plus be able to freeze some. Everything except the turkey was bought from a local farmer who supplies restaurants in Indy and Chicago. It only ended up costing $21.71 which isn't too bad considering the amount we got.

Sorry no pics this time......the camera is in Bristol, TN with Les's brother at the race. Hopefully, we'll get some decent pics of our favorite drivers.

Return to “Grillin and Chillin”