Tips for the ThrowDown

Bring it on! This is our online version of BBQ contests.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Tips for the ThrowDown

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44 am

To get the flavor of what wins and what doesn't, take a look at the MVP Thread and poll threads for previous ThrowDowns. Some tips I've notice from doing just that:
Keep the pic in focus. Blurry pics don't fare so well in voting.
No marking, meaning no borders etc
Look at some food mags or cookbooks and study how those pix are set up. There's a method to the madness
It helps if the viewer can ID what's in the pic. Most folks shy away from the unknown.
Frame the pic. On tip is shoot the photo at a high resolution then crop it show it looks good.
Take a bunch of picks and use the best one.

From personal experience, sides that are white (mac salad, tater salad) don't photo well.
I saw once on a food show that blue and green plates are the worst for showcasing food.

The only editing I will do to your photo is to reduce it to 640X480 should it comes in larger than that. Note: if the pic has an odd shape and reducing it results in a resolution of 640X427 thats the way it is. I won't adjust it so its 693X480. Photos smaller than 640X480 don't enlarge well so they will be left at what size they came in at. I won't adjust color, contrast or anything else.

Hopefully some past winners will come forward and offer some advice, after all they are our pros!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Re: Tips for the ThrowDown

Postby NewBQ » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks for the tips Dave!
southern pride bbq USER_AVATAR
Southern Pride BBQ
Bandolero

Postby Southern Pride BBQ » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:04 pm

hopefully i can enter in the next throwdown
Southern Pride BBQ Cooking Team, Waco TX

IF you can't Barbeque with the big dogs, stay on the Porch !!!

Now, I'm gonna put this charcoal in a nice Geometrical shape, called a PILE......
racerus USER_AVATAR
racerus
Wrangler

Postby racerus » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:23 am

looks like something i want to enter, to be able get beat in a cookoff and than in a cyberworld cookoff, cool

Return to “TBBQF Throw Downs”