Is this acceptable

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Is this acceptable

Postby Finatic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:39 am

My wife and I are in the process of getting our Head Judge badges for IBCA.
If you have ever worked the back end of a cook off you will see that keeping track of a single box is nearly impossible for a cheater. The head judges receive the boxes and are looking for a specific criteria before it ever goes to a staging table. From there along with however many entry's the boxes are shuffled and moved to another table for marking once again no specific order until marked then they are handed to the taste judges. You would have to be real good at the shell game to even remotely keep up with one box and even then you do not know what number the table monitor wrote on it.[/quote]
Agree it's pretty much impossible to follow an entry box. The new thing lately some JC's or head judges need to look out for is judges using their cell phones and getting a pic of what the entry looks like in the box then watching for that entry to come across. Even then it's a long shot having to recognize that entry much less even seeing that box especially at medium to large cook offs. Cheaters will find a way.

I do think the systems in place to prevent cheating (both in IBCA & LSBS) are pretty solid though.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Finatic wrote:My wife and I are in the process of getting our Head Judge badges for IBCA.
If you have ever worked the back end of a cook off you will see that keeping track of a single box is nearly impossible for a cheater. The head judges receive the boxes and are looking for a specific criteria before it ever goes to a staging table. From there along with however many entry's the boxes are shuffled and moved to another table for marking once again no specific order until marked then they are handed to the taste judges. You would have to be real good at the shell game to even remotely keep up with one box and even then you do not know what number the table monitor wrote on it.

Agree it's pretty much impossible to follow an entry box. The new thing lately some JC's or head judges need to look out for is judges using their cell phones and getting a pic of what the entry looks like in the box then watching for that entry to come across. Even then it's a long shot having to recognize that entry much less even seeing that box especially at medium to large cook offs. Cheaters will find a way.

I do think the systems in place to prevent cheating (both in IBCA & LSBS) are pretty solid though.[/quote]
No cell phone pics of any meat at a judging table in IBCA.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:01 pm

I was referring to a member of the cook team sending a pic of the entry to a judge that had already been seated at the judges table. A "what to look for" pic of a rib entry. A couple of guys were talking about this happening a few months ago. Not something I witnessed just what I heard.

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”