Is this acceptable

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papajim
Wrangler

Is this acceptable

Postby papajim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:28 am

What do you guys think about each team provide a judge for the cook-off? Is this acceptable or not and why?
papajim
I'm not perfect....just like to share my $.02 on the internet
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Is this acceptable

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 am

Not acceptable in my opinion the promoter should do their job or find another hobby.
We are a husband and wife team that each have jobs to do at competitions and no time to judge.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:30 am

I agree it's not good but it's acceptable (at least in IBCA & Lonestar). Teams are not required to provide a judge but many times Teresa has been asked to judge. She was once asked to judge beans in a comp and she's the one that cooked the beans (she didn't do it). As long as she is not listed as the head cook she can judge which I do not agree with. Someone who has seen my barbecue for years, tasted my test runs, helps make my injections, sauces, etc. should be allowed to judge an event I am cooking in. Just my opinion.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:56 am

Finatic wrote:I agree it's not good but it's acceptable (at least in IBCA & Lonestar). Teams are not required to provide a judge but many times Teresa has been asked to judge. She was once asked to judge beans in a comp and she's the one that cooked the beans (she didn't do it). As long as she is not listed as the head cook she can judge which I do not agree with. Someone who has seen my barbecue for years, tasted my test runs, helps make my injections, sauces, etc. should be allowed to judge an event I am cooking in. Just my opinion.

Should or should not?

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:05 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
Finatic wrote:I agree it's not good but it's acceptable (at least in IBCA & Lonestar). Teams are not required to provide a judge but many times Teresa has been asked to judge. She was once asked to judge beans in a comp and she's the one that cooked the beans (she didn't do it). As long as she is not listed as the head cook she can judge which I do not agree with. Someone who has seen my barbecue for years, tasted my test runs, helps make my injections, sauces, etc. should be allowed to judge an event I am cooking in. Just my opinion.

Should or should not?

Correction- Should not.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Finatic wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

Should or should not?

Correction- Should not.

:salut:

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:51 am

I really don't care for that practice.
papajim
Wrangler

Postby papajim » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:53 am

Guys, I am in full agreement not acceptable. The promoter should make arrangements prior to depending on judges supplied from each team. The reason I'm fired up about this is my son was asked to judge at a cook-off,the thigh was under cooked, he refused to eat it, the guy next to him said it was great, I guess he likes raw chicken, gave it a 10 score. Reckon this was his teams turn-in? If this practice is allowed to happen, at the cook-off you plan to attend, ask the question about judging before you attend. My $.02.
papajim
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:59 pm

papajim wrote:Guys, I am in full agreement not acceptable. The promoter should make arrangements prior to depending on judges supplied from each team. The reason I'm fired up about this is my son was asked to judge at a cook-off,the thigh was under cooked, he refused to eat it, the guy next to him said it was great, I guess he likes raw chicken, gave it a 10 score. Reckon this was his teams turn-in? If this practice is allowed to happen, at the cook-off you plan to attend, ask the question about judging before you attend. My $.02.
papajim

Did your son make his concerns aware to the table judge papajim? I have seen several birds DQ'd that could not pass a blot test on blood. If it fails the judges are instructed to mark it down even if they already scored it.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
erichasaces
Wrangler

Postby erichasaces » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:46 pm

We saw a similar thing happen last year. One of my guys went to judge beans, and one of the teams supplied two judges for that category. During judging one of the entries had sizable chunks of meat, and when someone brought it up the two people from the same team fought to not get it DQ'd. Awards came around, and guess which team wins Beans?

To be fair my teammate said it was the best tasting entry by far, and he gave it the highest score.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:36 pm

erichasaces wrote:We saw a similar thing happen last year. One of my guys went to judge beans, and one of the teams supplied two judges for that category. During judging one of the entries had sizable chunks of meat, and when someone brought it up the two people from the same team fought to not get it DQ'd. Awards came around, and guess which team wins Beans?

To be fair my teammate said it was the best tasting entry by far, and he gave it the highest score.

To be fare to the other entries best or not it aint rocket science and if the rules say nothing bigger than the bean it should have been DQ'ed the head judge failed in my opinion.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
erichasaces
Wrangler

Postby erichasaces » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:21 pm

k.a.m. wrote:
erichasaces wrote:We saw a similar thing happen last year. One of my guys went to judge beans, and one of the teams supplied two judges for that category. During judging one of the entries had sizable chunks of meat, and when someone brought it up the two people from the same team fought to not get it DQ'd. Awards came around, and guess which team wins Beans?

To be fare to the other entries best or not it aint rocket science and if the rules say nothing bigger than the bean it should have been DQ'ed the head judge failed in my opinion.

I agree. I will say that some of the experiences we had at non-KCBS events around the area last year made us a little uncomfortable. The amount of fraternization between the promoters/judges and the teams was very surprising.

One thing that I think rubs a lot of new teams wrong is when you go to awards and find out that one team was actually 2-3 "different teams". I tried to believe that all of those teams were on the up and up and cooking completely separate until I had a pitmaster who is known come over and ask if we wanted to enter a second entry. He said he'd supply all of the meat off his pit and we could split the winnings.
papajim
Wrangler

Postby papajim » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:37 pm

The table judge was informed. My son was told it would be disqualified. The point I'm trying to make here is that a team member or members do know and can identify their team meat. I would suppose that the head cook does not personally cook every individual meat, so the ole boy that cooked it can now judge what he cooked. Ask the question about who will judge guys. For those that do not know the chief cook from any team can not judge any meat turned in. So,therefore if more judges are needed, the teams are ask to provide a team member to judge.

papajim
I'm not perfect...just like to share my $.02 on the internet
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:30 am

In small competitions where single tables are being ran I can see where this is a problem. When the cook off grows and multiple tables are being used the chances of a team member sitting on the table where their teams meat is are reduced greatly. Also if the head judge notices a score sheet with low scores and one maybe two high it is usually tossed and not used. My wife and I judge quite a bit when we are not competing and after the first two or three containers your taste senses really start to diminish unless a flavor really stands out. I have sat on final table ribs where my scores barely wavered up or down a point because the ribs were all cooked almost identical. We make it a rule when we are judging and know teams at the event to not taste their turn in products until after the judging is final. At larger events I would really only be concerned with team members judging a final table if cheating was their reasons for being there before that it would take promoters and head judges help to place a member on a specific table and I really do not see that happening.
As I said earlier my problem is more with the promoter not doing their job in finding judges to fill their needs.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:46 am

I would like to see the rule that allows "any member of a cooking team other than the head cook to judge" changed. I think ALL the team members who are participating in the cook listed should be listed on the entry form (instead of just the head cook) and none of those listed team members should be allowed to participate in the judging process. This certainly won't stop a team from inviting 6 or 8 of their friends to sign up to judge and look for their entry but it would keep one of the cooks from judging their own entry.

Again I typically cook Lonestar & IBCA. This rule may not apply in other sanctioned events.

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”