Grandview Tx.

Announcements, Roll Call and Results for ALL Competitions and Events.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

smokedaddy3
Pilgrim

Grandview Tx.

Postby smokedaddy3 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:34 pm

I am in the process of putting together a BBQ cook-off here in Grandview Texas. But I do have some questions.

1. How do you go about getting it sanctioned. I want this to end up becoming a annual cook
2. Is it better to have the meat supplied or bring your own. want a level playing field.
3. Is it standard to have just stick burners or do most cook-offs open it up to pellet smokers as well.

As of right now we are looking to have it either around the fourth of July or around September when antique alley is going on and there is a lot of foot traffic.

Any help would be GREAT.

Patrick Post
Patrick P.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Re: Grandview Tx.

Postby Finatic » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:01 pm

If it were me I would have it sanctioned. Most sanctioned organizations have their own set of rules. You can add additional rules but they will have a general set of rules that covers a lot. I know IBCA and Lone Star BBQ Society have sanctioning forms on their websites.
smokedaddy3
Pilgrim

Postby smokedaddy3 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:07 pm

Did plan on having it sanctioned. Just have to do more research on what organization to use.
Patrick P.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:30 pm

IBCA is a well run organization. Lonestar Barbecue Society is good too and I believe maybe a little less expensive. Those are the only 2 I've had any dealings with.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:13 pm

Hey Gents, I have a very very Novice and possibly stupid question but I have to ask, so be kind.
What are the advantages of having it sanctioned verses non-sanctioned :?: :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:01 pm

If it is sanctioned a head judge from the association, will help run the judging side of the cookoff. It will be run accordingly by the Associations rules.An unsanctioned or BubbaQ is run by the promoter and he can dictate who is running the BBQ cookoff. Most cooks will go only to a sanctioned unless they personally know the promoter.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:58 pm

thanks, Limey, 'bout what I figgered :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:09 pm

smokedaddy3 wrote:Did plan on having it sanctioned. Just have to do more research on what organization to use.

Go with IBCA. They have a great reputation for running smooth and well executed cook offs.
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:21 pm

smokedaddy3 wrote:I am in the process of putting together a BBQ cook-off here in Grandview Texas. But I do have some questions.

1. How do you go about getting it sanctioned. I want this to end up becoming a annual cook
2. Is it better to have the meat supplied or bring your own. want a level playing field.
3. Is it standard to have just stick burners or do most cook-offs open it up to pellet smokers as well.

As of right now we are looking to have it either around the fourth of July or around September when antique alley is going on and there is a lot of foot traffic.

Any help would be GREAT.

Patrick Post

1. I'd contact IBCA and find out the details. I believe you have to become a member of that organization but I could be wrong.
2. If your going to do the traditional meats (chicken, ribs, brisket), I'd personally rather bring my own meat. I'm very picky when it comes to selecting meat.
3. Most all sanctioning bodies allow any pit that uses wood or wood products as their heat source. No propane assists or electric heat sources.
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
1484 FPC
Pilgrim

Postby 1484 FPC » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:30 am

http://ibcabbq.org/sanctioning/

Here ya go. I'd go IBCA as well.
1484 Front Porch Cookers
smokedaddy3
Pilgrim

Postby smokedaddy3 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:45 pm

thanks all for the quick reply's. Not to contact IBCA to talk with them and get the ball rolling with the city the chamber and then to Promote.
Patrick P.

Return to “Cookoff Announcements and Results”