TexMex Shepards Pie

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

hornian
Pilgrim

TexMex Shepards Pie

Postby hornian » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:38 pm

I'm sure everyone has had something like this, so I wont claim credit for inventing something new, but I scrounged this recipe up last night when I wanted to make a good dinner with ingredients I already had at home. To wit, this is what I rounded up:

~1lb venison hamburger
1 can of Ranch Style Beans (with jalapeños, of course)
1 can of sweet corn
1 large can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Sea Salt
Black Pepper
Cholula hot sauce
Yellow cornmeal (and all the fixins for cornbread)
Pepper Jack cheese bites

First things first, I defrosted the venison hamburger, and then started to brown it in a large skillet.

Immediately after that picture I added all my spices to my meat and continued to brown it. I don't measure my spices, but rough estimates would be about 3 tblsp cumin, 1 tblsp Garlic Powder, 1 tblsp Onion Powder, 1 tblsp Black Pepper, and .5 tblsp Sea Salt.

When the meat had cooked through, I added the can of Ranch Style beans, the can of corn, and the can of crushed tomatoes. I also poured in about 1/4 cup of Cholula, maybe more. I mixed it all together and got a concoction that looked like this:

I turned the heat down to medium, put the lid on my skillet, and let that simmer while I prepared the cornbread batter.

I don't have any pictures of the cornbread preparation, just make it however your cornmeal calls for. MIne requires buttermilk, and I added in about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese as well to the cornbread batter. I got all the ingredients into my mixing bowl, and then set it to mix in the Kitchen Aid mixer.

While that was mixing, I turned the heat off on my skillet, and this is what it had simmered into:

Next, I grabbed a baking dish and poured the mixture into that, and then topped with the pepper jack cheese bites. I just had those laying around in my meat/cheese drawer and thought they would go well with this dish (I was right, every now and then you get a bite of cheesy goodness that is pretty allsome):

The cornbread batter was good and mixed together, so I just topped the baking dish off with the cornbread batter:

It was pretty full, and I knew I'd get a little mess, but it wouldn't be too bad. I put the dish into a preheated oven at about 375 degrees, and then went and watched sportscenter. About 45 minutes later, the conbread on top was golden brown, and it was time to take it out of the over:

And yes, there was a little bit of spillage from the cornbread when it rose, but it wasn't too bad, and it was contained to one side:

Finally I served myself up a plate, and chowed down:

Oh, almost forgot, I paired it with Real Ale's newest and best offering. Great choice, and great dinner:

Not too bad for just throwing things together that I found in my pantry, fridge, and freezer. And it is a great lunch the day after, as it's what I just ate for lunch on my day off.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:54 pm

Oh my! That sounds good!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

rich777 USER_AVATAR
Rich777
Chuck Wagon

Postby Rich777 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:10 pm

Lookin good hornian, that one goes in the recipe book!
a stumpted toe hurts
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:31 pm

Looks good :D :D
Jim
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:59 pm

You guys are tough, what a meal, I didn't see anything I don't like. OK another must try. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank

Return to “Beef Recipes”