smoking a steak?!?!?!?!

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Kekoa
Pilgrim

smoking a steak?!?!?!?!

Postby Kekoa » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:38 am

Hello fellow BBQer's,

I am new to the forum but have been grilling and BBQing for many years. I have as of yet not smoked a steak. Anyone out there done this yet?
Any tips?

I am thinking of searing the steaks first and then a slow smoke real low at about 210-225 until medium rare more or less. Let me know what you think and thanks for the forum and any information you may have in advance.
sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Re: smoking a steak?!?!?!?!

Postby sparetimetoys » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Why sear first I would think that would lock the smoke out. My smoker has a gas grill built in. I start a small fire in the fire box get a nice smoke going then put steaks on and light off the gas. Truth be said you get just as good of flavor off the weber with wood chips on charcoal
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:59 am

I've built a fire on one side of my fire box and cooked a ribeye indirect at about 300, it was really good and had a little pecan flavor to it.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:09 pm

The reverse sear method is what is in order here. Smoke the steak then at the last minute sear it over hot coals.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
rodcrafter USER_AVATAR
Rodcrafter
Wrangler

Postby Rodcrafter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:04 am

I agree the "reverse sear" is the way to go get the smoke in then sear to you final taste. You will never want it any other way.

Return to “Beef Recipes”