What did I do wrong? (Brisket)

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Raider18
Cowboy

What did I do wrong? (Brisket)

Postby Raider18 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:05 pm

Cooked until 165 (wrapped) and continued to 195 when it passed the poke test. Put it in cooler until time to serve, at that
Time it was 154. While it was juicy and flavorful it fell apart. Pretty much only good for sandwiches.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: What did I do wrong? (Brisket)

Postby BluDawg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Well let me put on my Great Kreskin hat....
You wrapped it in Aluminum Foil
You took it strait from the pit to the cooler.
I personally don't like foil and will cook with out it if it is the only choice Butcher paper is the Shizzle Nizzle
What you experienced is Carry-over Cooking. Sealed in the foil and placed in to an insulated environment the brisket continued to cook. You are not the first to make this mistake and certainly wont be the last. It is easy to avoid this you need to adjust your process.
When you pull the brisket open the foil and allow it to vent at least 40 min before going to a cooler.
OR
Do as I do.... remove it from the pit( since you use foil vent for 30 min & closeup the foil) and allow it to sit on the counter until the IT drops into the 150's (using BP this will take 2 hrs and you don't have to vent it) Once the IT has dropped either serve it or if you need to hold it for awhile put it in a cooler to stay warm.
Never slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture slices dry out.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB

Return to “Beef Recipes”