Pickle juice on a brisket?

Brisket, steaks, roasts, ground beef or any beef recipes.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Pflugerbill
Pilgrim

Postby Pflugerbill » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:28 pm

John Lewis of LaBBQ posted his rub he uses for his briskets, which I've heard are phenomenal. He uses pickle juice. Has anyone ever tried this? I can imagine it'd make a very moist brisket but I've never been brave enough to attempt it.
Bigunsbbq
Rustler

Re: Pickle juice on a brisket?

Postby Bigunsbbq » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Never tried on a brisket , have on chicken before . I'll give it a try , I love pickles I put pickle juice in my beer after the first swallow . But I eat about a 1/2 gallon of kosher dills a week .
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:24 pm

:scratch: So what is the purpose to wet th surface so the S&P will stick? :dont: I don't think it would add much flavor wise and actually nothing. But,it will probably be the next bit of snake oil like JT's rib concoction, mustard & my personal favorite wrapping in foil with Liquid because it makes your meat moist Foilin is boilin (braising if ya want to get technical) and that aint Smoking or BBQ and yes there is a difference between Smoking & BBQ you bet your Bippy Baby :laughing7: oh and don't for get to add a water pan in there with some concotion in it because it adds moisture and flavor :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

If you need to put something on the surface to hold the rub on your using to much rub. Rub is meant to season the meat so the meat is the star. The meat is not supposed to be a delivery system for burnt & scorched spices to your pie hole, if you use to much that is what you get. :puke:

AHhhh.... I feel so much betta now 8)
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:38 pm

+1 generally to the Dawg, though I personally do get some good additive flavor out of spritz mopping my brisket lightly during a cook (different strokes for different folks, and all ok). But I am sure not pouring salty pickle vinegar on it, nor any cheap yella mustard. As for "juicing" up my brisket, I'll leave the juicing up to professional athletes. :bball: JMHO.

If I wanna to eat a pickle, I eat a pickle. If I wanna eat a brisket, I eat a brisket.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
cypertj USER_AVATAR
CypertJ
Bandolero

Postby CypertJ » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:17 pm

I like a little dill added to my usual SPOG rub. Unless you have a very sophisticated palette you'd never know it was there until I told you.
But I'm not gonna pour pickle juice on a brisket, that just sounds nasty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:54 pm

The pickle juice is mixed 50/50. It is not used straight. Basically it boils down to cross utilization of product. Pickle juice is much cheaper to use than oil or worchestersire suace to use as a binder. I'm going to be using Johns method this weekend. I'll let you now how it turns out. I have eaten beef ribs from his place and they are outstanding!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"
atcnick USER_AVATAR
atcNick
Outlaw

Postby atcNick » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:52 am

BluDawg wrote::scratch: So what is the purpose to wet th surface so the S&P will stick? :dont: I don't think it would add much flavor wise and actually nothing. But,it will probably be the next bit of snake oil like JT's rib concoction, mustard & my personal favorite wrapping in foil with Liquid because it makes your meat moist Foilin is boilin (braising if ya want to get technical) and that aint Smoking or BBQ and yes there is a difference between Smoking & BBQ you bet your Bippy Baby :laughing7: oh and don't for get to add a water pan in there with some concotion in it because it adds moisture and flavor :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

If you need to put something on the surface to hold the rub on your using to much rub. Rub is meant to season the meat so the meat is the star. The meat is not supposed to be a delivery system for burnt & scorched spices to your pie hole, if you use to much that is what you get. :puke:

AHhhh.... I feel so much betta now 8)

Damnit!!! Now I'm hungry for pie...
-Nick

Custom R&O Offset
Lang 84D w/Chargriller SOLD
Weber Performer
22" Weber One Touch Gold Kettle
18" Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Smokey Joe
pitpig4151 USER_AVATAR
PITPIG4151
Rustler

Postby PITPIG4151 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:32 am

Very interesting… I’m learning Bar B Q conversation is about the same if not worse than what is better, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. I use a mustard base and have since I was taught by the internet. However, watching Aaron Franklins PBS you tube videos he does a small amount of olive oil and a very small amount of salt and pepper rub. Typically on mine you can put your hand on the rub and it feels like carpet. However, I am from Beaumont TX and like a little more pepper than most. So I guess it is to taste.

Recently I have done a milk brine on a Tri Tip and I must say I could tell a difference with the milk and salt mixture. Afterward I used the olive oil and my typical salt and pepper. Dare I say I loved it ALOT.

I am thinking now about pickles. I love putting brisket in a tortilla with pickles so it can’t be all that bad. Hmmm... Dang you Forum. Again you entertain my brain. :texas:
Ole Hickory EL revolving racks 45 sq ft.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
-Sam Houston
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:19 am

BluDawg wrote::But,it will probably be the next bit of snake oil like JT's rib concoction, mustard & my personal favorite wrapping in foil with Liquid because it makes your meat moist Foilin is boilin (braising if ya want to get technical) and that aint Smoking or BBQ and yes there is a difference between Smoking & BBQ you bet your Bippy Baby :laughing7: oh and don't for get to add a water pan in there with some concotion in it because it adds moisture and flavor :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
8)

Ever since Stump started touting the dill in his seasoning, on Pitmasters, I suspect that to become a trend also.

Not sure i would want to experiment with this. Although I do like pickles on my beef sandwiches.
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:05 am

Tried Franklins bbq sauce the other day from heb, it taste dike it had pickle juice too. Was a pretty good Texas style sauce imo.
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:47 am

RWBTEX wrote:Tried Franklins bbq sauce the other day from heb, it taste dike it had pickle juice too. Was a pretty good Texas style sauce imo.

You do know he didn't make that ... right??
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
rwbtex USER_AVATAR
RWBTEX
Outlaw

Postby RWBTEX » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Well I was thinking it was his recipe BD but I'm sure he doesnt bottle it himself. No?
SMOKIN' LONESTAR BBQ TEAM
on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmokinLonestar/
Hasty Bake Legacy
Pitts and spitts 24x48 stick burner
Napoleon Kettle
Weber bronze kettle
Traeger Pellet Pro 34
PK Grill for steak comps and fajitas at home
and then some
Pflugerbill
Pilgrim

Postby Pflugerbill » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:43 pm

So I will say this....John Lewis at LaBarbecue is making one HELLUVA brisket!! Holy shnit that is some good stuff!!! It's easy to see why he's doing so well.

Say what you want about his use of pickle juice, that man is cooking brisket the way it's meant to be and the results are unbelievable. There's not a single hint of vinegar, pickle juice or mustard in it. Just amazing meat flavor with a nice peppery twist to it.

Haven't tried it yet? You're certainly missing out.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:02 pm

Pflugerbill wrote:So I will say this....John Lewis at LaBarbecue is making one HELLUVA brisket!! Holy shnit that is some good stuff!!! It's easy to see why he's doing so well.

Say what you want about his use of pickle juice, that man is cooking brisket the way it's meant to be and the results are unbelievable. There's not a single hint of vinegar, pickle juice or mustard in it. Just amazing meat flavor with a nice peppery twist to it.

Haven't tried it yet? You're certainly missing out.

You have never had mine
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Pflugerbill
Pilgrim

Postby Pflugerbill » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Mine does the same but I get a bigger some ring. I'm sure it's good though. Looks it.

Return to “Beef Recipes”